If a PoE2 Kickstarter was announced..

I wouldn't pledge >$150 again, but that's mostly because

1. I am confident they will get funded, and

2. I'm not as flush as I was during the last KS. $$$ from scholarships and TAships <<< $$$ from destroying the planet.

I'd pledge at least $50 though. I'd actually be more stoked for their next game, since Bioware doesn't have anything coming out for a long time (and they played it so safe with DA:I) and the crushing disappointment that was Original Sin. 

Crushing Disappointment? DOS is not my favourite game ever made but it's a pretty well-made rpg imo.

Also, judging from the current state of the Backer Beta and the potential that POE seems to have at this point yes, I would pledge Hardcore

I really can't comment until i've played the first game, however if that turns out to be as satisfying as all of the other Obsidian properties i've played, then yes I would commit to the same value probably...unless a higher tier opened up something I particularly desired.

That said if the sequel had an option of turn based combat, and a more simulationist/intuitive approach that was tied to the games mechanics, then I would probably commit at a far higher tier.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Crushing Disappointment? DOS is not my favourite game ever made but it's a pretty well-made rpg imo.

I didn't mean to say it was a terrible game - a lot of people who's opinions I trust loved it. But it was a crushing disappointment for me.

I could just not get more than an hour into it - the cartoonish art style and abrupt tone shifts, along with the bizairre two-PC system, ruined it for me. 

Edited by smithereen
  • Like 2

I wouldn't pledge >$150 again, but that's mostly because

1. I am confident they will get funded, and

2. I'm not as flush as I was during the last KS. $$$ from scholarships and TAships <<< $$$ from destroying the planet.

I'd pledge at least $50 though. I'd actually be more stoked for their next game, since Bioware doesn't have anything coming out for a long time (and they played it so safe with DA:I) and the crushing disappointment that was Original Sin. 

Also, judging from the current state of the Backer Beta and the potential that POE seems to have at this point yes, I would pledge Hardcore

The turn based look of the videos I've seen have made me pass and not even try it so I would have to agree with Smithereen

I'd give my right kidney.

Edit: Also money. I understand that Obsidian might not be equipped to deal with organ donation.

How many out there with that Avatar Its becoming confusing :w00t:

** I really wont decide until play and complete the first game

Edited by ruzen

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Depends on how this game is. I didn't back this game *just* because of Obsidian; I backed it because it looked like a game I wanted to play. I love Obsidian, but not every single game of theirs is fantastic; Alpha Protocol is so-so at best. I still have terrible memories of my first time trying to play the unpatched KOTOR 2 (which I know was not entirely their fault, but I didn't even learn the details of that for years). In addition, when the PoE KS was going I happened to have *just* come into a couple thousand dollars; I well might not be able to afford to contribute to a KS today.

Depends on how this game is. I didn't back this game *just* because of Obsidian; I backed it because it looked like a game I wanted to play. I love Obsidian, but not every single game of theirs is fantastic; Alpha Protocol is so-so at best. I still have terrible memories of my first time trying to play the unpatched KOTOR 2 (which I know was not entirely their fault, but I didn't even learn the details of that for years). In addition, when the PoE KS was going I happened to have *just* come into a c

ouple thousand dollars; I well might not be able to afford to contribute to a KS today.

Alpha Protocol was pure gold at its core. It's imho Obsidian's best game so far...

35167v4.jpg

Depends on how this game is. I didn't back this game *just* because of Obsidian; I backed it because it looked like a game I wanted to play. I love Obsidian, but not every single game of theirs is fantastic; Alpha Protocol is so-so at best. I still have terrible memories of my first time trying to play the unpatched KOTOR 2 (which I know was not entirely their fault, but I didn't even learn the details of that for years). In addition, when the PoE KS was going I happened to have *just* come into a c

ouple thousand dollars; I well might not be able to afford to contribute to a KS today.

Alpha Protocol was pure gold at its core. It's imho Obsidian's best game so far...

I found it very meh, personally. My favorite Obsidian games are a split; writing, characters, story, etc. are all KOTOR 2, all the way. One of the best storylines in the SW universe, with some of the best characters and most thought-provoking philosophical discussions about the nature of the Force. Also possibly the buggiest damn game I've ever played in my life, with the only other contender being Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Now as far as actual gameplay goes,  Fallout: New Vegas was their top, IMHO.

I would definitely pledge for POE2.  How much though?  I went in for $250 on POE.  I don't regret it, I was happy to put money towards a game I *really* wanted to see made and then play and to a studio (and their associated talent) that was responsible for a lot of games I loved.

That said, I would almost certainly pledge less for the next game based on what I know now vs what I knew when I pledged for the first game.  It just makes a lot more financial sense because of the things that are important to me personally.  As in, a lot of the $250 KS POE content is just not stuff that I care about and considering the stuff I do care about, like the collectors book and the strat guide are available ala carte from places like Amazon.  

• Like 1

As others have said, I first want to see how PoE turns out. I'm very excited about it, but having watched you guys discuss bugs and problems for several months, I'm also getting nervous about the quality.

If it's a buggy mess like Wasteland 2, I wouldn't back another. If it's good fun (like Gromnir says), then I would.

Edited by Heijoushin

I would abstain. I don't care for a significant amount of Mr. Sawyer's choices. I think PoE will be enjoyable, but has thus far missed the mark on what I really wanted out of an IE successor.

I'm likely in the same boat for the same reasons. I'm holding off on exactly which boat I get into in regards to Obsidian's next kickstarter (if they have one) until I see the final product, but if the kickstarter were today, I'd likely be sitting it out (would have to see the pitch of course).

Edited by Valsuelm

If PoE 2 developers can have the luxury of choosing who will breath down their necks — a publisher, or Kickstarter backers — I am not sure they would choose KS to be honest. When reading the forums I sometimes get the impression that backers are worse on the scale of breathing-down-neckness!

If PoE 1 is successful, maybe publishers will have some hindsight and be willing to finance Obsidian's next vision without compromising what IE games and PoE is (because it would hurt a new proven success).

Edited by Rumsteak
  • Like 4

Absolutely not! I I am not paying before I'll get to play the first game.

But ,if the game will be fun I will throw in more money than I did last time ,even if it's not perfect, I want to see this genre resurrected.

Edited by barakav

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

I would not back it, if they announced it now (meaning now to soon after launch of PoE), as because of changes in payment system/processor that KS uses it is difficult for me to back any project and also I have started to be bit tiered to wait projects to finish years after their original aimed dates, which is has made me realize that my personality probably isn't best suited for crowd funding project where time estimates are difficult to give accurately although in case of PoE 2, time estimates should be much easier for them as they now have set up pipelines for things and team has acquired experience with unity, pipelines and and this type games overall).

If PoE 2 developers can have the luxury of choosing who will breath down their necks — a publisher, or Kickstarter backers — I am not sure they would choose KS to be honest. When reading the forums I sometimes get the impression that backers are worse on the scale of breathing-down-neckness!

If PoE 1 is successful, maybe publishers will have some hindsight and be willing to finance Obsidian's next vision without compromising what IE games and PoE is (because it would hurt a new proven success).

While we forumites can be a regular pain in the behind, and I'm sure that direct connection between backer and OEI can be stressful at times, you can't really compare the two in my opinion. For one simple thing, a publisher can force changes into a game. Kickstarter backers cannot. While there's a certain sense of entitlement for us backers, the truth is that OEI will have the decision in *their* hands at the end of the day. A publisher can force them to release the game early, or in an unfinished state.

Of course, there are things that are easier with a publisher as well (you know they'll handle the PR stuff and all that from the get-go) but OEI will be a lot more free with kickstarter. And I'm sure that's a welcome change.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I personally wish they would kickstarter a second expansion pack for PoE, that would be big. Why start from scratch with a sequel, when you can use the same base game and just deliver much more content to it? (Like new campaign, classes, feats, races, weapon types, etc)

Edited by deserk

I'd like to see the collaboration between Obsidian and Paradox go on in the future. Each time I follow the open development of a game, I'm like "damn that's sweet... the kind of sweet I would have liked even better if it surprised me on the first playthrough" way too often.

It's personal, I realized the games I liked the most are always the ones I had no clue about. Didn't know a thing about Arcanum, had the time of my life, didn't even know new vegas was announced when it got released, had tons of fun as well.

But that's a cheap argument, I could have backed and look away... but the temptation :banghead:

Edited by CaptainMace

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

I personally wish they would kickstarter a second expansion pack for PoE, that would be big. Why start from scratch with a sequel, when you can use the same base game and just deliver much more content to it? (Like new campaign, classes, feats, races, weapon types, etc)

That is called sequel if it works independently from original game, although in expansions you usually can offer shorter campaigns than in full sequel and keep people happy.