New female elf portrait

Yeah, because an elf with a face in half-profile is a totally unique image. I mean, there's no way two different people could come up with that! And it isn't like that's the only thing they have in common, or anything. Their torsos and necks are obviously at the same angle, and the structure and shape of the faces - why, that's just identical, and in no way differentiated by the cheekbones, noses, brows, shapes of the eyes,  and jawlines! Plus, their complexions are the same, and their hair ... they're practically twins!

• Like 12

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

On the other hand, if you're into pixilation, the top elf is cuter. A little on the freckly side. <.< I've actually been impressed with the artwork I've seen so far, which ain't all that much. I went to the linked post in the OP and I was really impressed with the Orlan holding the dagger.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

What is the penalty for speciesism against non existent fantastical being? Does stating that elves all look alike to me counts as speciesism, and is anybody so deluded as to self identify as an elf in the real world?

All this and more on Jeremy Vile tonight!

• Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Yeah, because an elf with a face in half-profile is a totally unique image. I mean, there's no way two different people could come up with that! And it isn't like that's the only thing they have in common, or anything. Their torsos and necks are obviously at the same angle, and the structure and shape of the faces - why, that's just identical, and in no way differentiated by the cheekbones, noses, brows, shapes of the eyes,  and jawlines! Plus, their complexions are the same, and their hair ... they're practically twins!

In all fairness, Shadowrun and PoE had a pledge levels that got backers made into character portraits. So it could be the exact same person, with exactly the same source photo. So maybe this reaction was a little unwarrented?

I'm sorry, coincidence or not, those two people do not look like twins.  Either that or I need to turn my head the right way or something.

• Like 4

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

In all fairness, Shadowrun and PoE had a pledge levels that got backers made into character portraits. So it could be the exact same person, with exactly the same source photo. So maybe this reaction was a little unwarrented?

If it's the exact same person with the exact same source photo, then one of the artists threw out the source photo and drew someone completely different, because (as I said) they don't look alike. At all.

I'm sorry, coincidence or not, those two people do not look like twins.  Either that or I need to turn my head the right way or something.

The dress is gold! WHY CAN'T YOU SEE IT? WHATS WRONG WITH YOU

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 4

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

This isn't serious ..right?

Please tell me this is not serious...

Two female elves, with brownish hair. Shocking indeed.

The only thing, that I think is actually similar, is the underside of the nose. :D

Aside from that... I would judge the upper one, not only to be quite different, but also technically superior in -every way-.

The anatomy is better, the design is more interesting, the lighting is better, the rendering is better, even the pose/composition is better balanced.

Also freckles.

So...what the heck?

I might as well...  - deviantArt  -  Tumblr  -   Facebook

(warning: don't click, if you can't take evil, vile artists putting their name on their work.)

Freckled pointy-ear looks nice.  Portraits seem to be coming along nicely.

For Firedorn all the Lads grieve

This Adam woke up next to Eve.

But beneath leaves of Fig,

He found Berries and Twig,

So Himself off a cliff he did heave.

They don't look alike at all.  Seems like another RPGcodex scheme to rile things up around here.

Yea those suckers from RPGcodex surely have a plan to boicot the game.

I am from there too :D

No there is no scheme, wake up from your fantasy world.

Yes i know, my english sux.

I can see the resemblance, but both are coincidences.

i actually fail to see the resemblance

the outer sides of the eyes are smaller for the PoE elf and the eyes are of a different color, the nose is completely different and so is the chin and ears. also the PoE elf has more pronounced cheekbones, making the face a bit wider

so with the exception of the pose, they look completely different

• Like 2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I don't know, you get a whole variety of views from the folks at the Codex.  Hell, I saw someone trying to speak for the Codex recently in one thread and a whole bunch of other Codex folks came down on him like a ton of bricks.  lol  So I don't figure there's a hivemind thing going on or anything.  Anyhow, while I don't think they look the same, I took the initial post more as a 'hey, look isn't this cool!' sort of thing rather than 'let's storm the barricades' sort of thing.

• Like 2

Obsidian Plays

Similarity is very superficial. No more than the general shape of the face and angle of the head. Shoulders are posed differently, eyes, nose, mouth, and hair are all different shapes and styles, lighting is completely different, style is only somewhat similar.

I.e. yeah definitely coincidence. With so many portraits framed more or less this way in so many games you're bound to have even closer matches than this. Doesn't mean the Bavarian Illuminati are behind it.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I wouldn't even call it a coincidence. I think it's just an incidence.

"This dog and this other dog are both dogs... coincidence?! O_O"

• Like 4

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

• 2 weeks later...