Best attributes spread for a rogue?

Along these lines, I'd like to know if a rogue can be built for extra suvivabilty and still be effective, or are they relegated to squishy damage dealers.

I was playing a rogue with 9 CON and doing pretty well by using ranged weapons.

just go for a bow rogue. max out str and dex and enjoy.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Mechanics seems to be the "finding hidden stuff" thing. I'm sure perception might get some scripted checks here and there, but containers and such seemed to check mechanics. The skeleton outside the Ogre's cave for example, was not spotted by my 21 perception Orlan but showed up when I came back with my rather low perception but high mechanics rogue.

Int increases duration on their Blind and Hobble attacks. How much you value that, IDK, but it's nice to have some extra seconds on them IMO.

Perception is ~okay~ for a dual wielder build, but not as great if you're using a ranged rogue with a slower weapon like the blunderbuss - which gibs most things it hits anyway. Interrupts just aren't that great anymore though so I'm not a fan of it for any of my builds.

Dex doesn't do much for guns/crossbows, but is great for dual wield and decent for 2h.

I would go for Str/Dex personally unless you focus entirely on Blunderbussing and gibbing things which is totally valid still.

Edited by Odd Hermit
  • Like 2

Yea, blunderbuss is a beast and ranged weapons are much safer bet for the rogue it seems, especially considering PoE doesn't require rogues to go strictly melee for extra damage abilities like in AD&D. I suppose I'll put some points in INT then as well, since there are quite a few skill checks out there that require INT (I don't get why can't we talk to npcs with other characters in the party besides the protagonist, it was quite handy in BG as I recall).

Honestly, I found that if I just held my rogue back for a second whilst my fighters engaged, it was easy to pop in behind targets and melee them without concern. The rogue can take a few hits and aren't as squishy as people make them out to be. Along with Invisibility and their disengagement ability, they can easily survive a melee encounter as long as someone behind the wheel is paying attention.

Edit:

My rogue's stats are 18 12 17 14 14 9 and she has the second highest hit dealt, and damage done, next to the Druid.

Edited by Styger

Honestly, I found that if I just held my rogue back for a second whilst my fighters engaged, it was easy to pop in behind targets and melee them without concern. The rogue can take a few hits and aren't as squishy as people make them out to be. Along with Invisibility and their disengagement ability, they can easily survive a melee encounter as long as someone behind the wheel is paying attention.

Edit:

My rogue's stats are 18 12 17 14 14 9 and she has the second highest hit dealt, and damage done, next to the Druid.

How did you get your stats that high? That's 84 total, but at the start you can distribute only 78.

Edited by Aramintai

Edit:

How did you get your stats that high? That's 84 total, but at the start you can distribute only 78.

looks like it's with resting bonus

Edit:

looks like it's with resting bonus

Aye, forgot to mention that. The highest paid room at the Inn gives a nice bonus to Might, Con, and Int I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong!

My rogue will be Dwarf - Pistoleer

20 Might, 18 Dex and rest are 10.

With Gunner perk, reload hopefully won't be that long. 

Not sure tho if i should sacrifice a point and take Ruffian Weapon Specialization for +6 Acc with pistols.

Not sure tho if i should sacrifice a point and take Ruffian Weapon Specialization for +6 Acc with pistols.

I highly recommend 18 int instead of dex for a Pistoleer. Dex gives very little benefit for firearms. Int will increase the duration of your Blinding and Crippling Strikes, which will allow for more sneak attacks plus just reduce the ability of enemies to deal damage to you/your party for longer.

Edited by Odd Hermit
  • Like 1

I highly recommend 18 int instead of dex for a Pistoleer. Dex gives very little benefit for firearms. Int will increase the duration of your Blinding and Crippling Strikes, which will allow for more sneak attacks plus just reduce the ability of enemies to deal damage to you/your party for longer.

Pillars of Eternity, the game where Rogues benefit more from Might than Dexterity, Barbarians should have as high of an Intelligence as possible, and Paladins use Resolve as a dump stat.

Yes, I realize that your specific comment is specifically aimed at firearms, because Dexterity doesn't affect Firearm reload speed, but I'm getting increasingly frustrated at the Attributes being so... bleh.

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

Ok so hang on, Dex does not increase the speed of the reload animation?

Why did devs have to make such a confusing stat system...

If so, then for guns Might/Int is pretty much the optimal stat combo to go for.

As for Melee rogues, id go for 20 Per. and 18 Dex and make him an interrupter.

Tell me about it...Stats distribution in this game is excruciating not only because of questionable combat efficiency, but also because non-combat skill\attribute checks are made only for protagonist  :(

Edited by Aramintai

Tell me about it...Stats distribution in this game is excruciating not only because of questionable combat efficiency, but also because non-combat skill\attribute checks are made only for protagonist  :(

which is why if Gromnir makes a protagonist rogue, it will have a rather odd stat distribution and non-optimal skill spread.

18 perception, 14 intelligence, 16 resolve and the rest 10s with all skill points in lore along with one o' the +2 lore backgrounds.  dual-wield spears with the aforementioned attributes is still highly efficacious in combat. also, this is not our first bis/obsidian game. am preferring to take a slight handicap in combat abilities to get the attributes and skills we believe will be the most frequent and/or significant in a role-play game from the aforementioned crpg developer.  

the notion o' a "best" attribute distribution w/o considering dialogue and cut-scene checks is a bit myopic in our estimation.  sure, there is no way to know what will be the important attributes and skills in poe based on only the bb experience, but this is not the first game bis/obsidian has developed.  you will be able to thrive in combat with even a sub-standard attribute spread, because the attributes is far less impactful in poe than in many other crpgs.  so, from our pov, it makes more sense to be concerned with the role-play and dialogue effects o' attributes and skills. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 7

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

@gromnir why do you Speak in 3rd person and sign off with 'ha good fun!' ? Personally, I think you are awesome.

I think he's roleplaying character called Gromnir from BG2: ToB.

Heh.  You've got it backwards.  He's been doing this act for a long time. 

• Like 1

@gromnir why do you Speak in 3rd person and sign off with 'ha good fun!' ? Personally, I think you are awesome.

It's the other way around. As crazy as it sounds.

I actually remember Gromnir from the old official Baldur's Gate boards from way, way, way, way back, before BG2 was even released, as far as I can remember, although he certainly does not remember me. This makes me feel crazy old.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

It's the other way around. As crazy as it sounds.

I actually remember Gromnir from the old official Baldur's Gate boards from way, way, way, way back, before BG2 was even released, as far as I can remember, although he certainly does not remember me. This makes me feel crazy old.

That's interesting. Are there any other forumites from the olden days who got their own character in BG?