Question about being caught stealing in the BB

I noticed lately that you will get a penalty to your reputation in the BB village when you "steal" stuff. Pretty much anything that is lootable in the village is considered to be stealing. So, how do you know if you will be successful in stealing without losing reputation? If I use my BB Rogue, I sometimes don't get caught, but sometimes I do. Stealing the beer behind the bartender at the inn will always get you caught. The cursor icon for looting containers and chests don't even change to let you know if it's considered stealing. Even if you stealth, it makes no difference. Do you need a highe rmechanics or stealth skill to overcome the "getting caught" part? 

Calibrating...

Basically, you can go into stealth, then sneak up to the thing you're trying to loot, as quickly as you can. As long as you get to it before your detection circles fill in (yellow for alerted, then red for detected), you are undetected. You can pretty much steal anything in Dyrford this way. Only thing I haven't been able to "steal"-loot is the little wine/beer rack in the kitchen of the Dracogen Inn. Too many people around.

Seems like maybe your proximity and/or others' facings should affect your detection speed. I think your Stealth skill affects it. If you have 1 Stealth, your circles will fill very quickly. If you have 10, they'll fill more slowly. I think...

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Actually, there is visual feedback when you hover over a container - the pick-up icon has a reddish hue if the container is considered 'owned'.

Or seen? Not sure - it may be buggy.

Not sure if this is new to [480], or if it was in before. I didn't notice until I read a bug report that mentioned it worked a little funky. Don't think I would've noticed it by myself, either. It's quite subtle and easy to miss if you don't know what you're looking for.

I don't recall that. I looted a blue-tinged container, and "got caught stealing." In the temple just north of where you start, in fact. The only red-tinged thing I found was a trapped container. I just figured red=danger. *shrug*.

I could be remembering things incorrectly, I suppose. I'm fairly certain, though, that the things I got caught stealing from were blue and/or purple (purple is for hidden/secret things).

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Ohhhhhhhhh... Sorry. Yeah, I thought you meant the container indicator/highlight itself. Much appreciated info, ^_^

How high have you gotten your stealth ? (Just curious, and did you use the +2 stealth gear?)

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

if nobody sees you nothing happens. if you keep stealing i guess you may end up having to fight guards and the "thief" reputation you will have will make social interaction hard

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

if nobody is in the room when you loot it does it still count as stealing and affect your reputation?

It does sometimes.

Honestly, the whole affair is very obtuse.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.