Helms, hoods, etc. are for aesthetic only?

You can find some with enchantments (player can't enchant them though). I looted a helm with +1 Dex for example.

As for gear that offer protection in term of static stats that is limited to armor, shields and hachet. There are potions, scrolls and item enchantments that can boost your DR, Deflection and the 3 saves (Reflex, Fortitude, Will). Support abilities can also increase those temporary (aura, chants or spells).

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Also Godlike cannot wear helms, right?

So weird.  I take it this was a model clipping issue?  It certainly isn't a balance issue, and if I were a mutant freak (and honestly, just that ugly) that people tend to stone to death, the first thing I'd do is hide my face.  

So weird.  I take it this was a model clipping issue?  It certainly isn't a balance issue, and if I were a mutant freak (and honestly, just that ugly) that people tend to stone to death, the first thing I'd do is hide my face.  

It's intended as a balance issue, actually. Godlike are supposed to have their superior racial abilities balanced against the inability to wear helms, as per their introduction way back.

Mind you, their racial abilities aren't actually very good (2/4 of them are garbage, 1 is decidedly lame, and 1 is pretty okay I guess), so the whole Godlike premise doesn't actually hold up to examination.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Clipping couldn't be an issue as equipping any armour simply swaps models. Games don't actually put a cowl on your character's head, they switch the model for the head. I'd say it's to stay true to the lore, which I actually like, but that's preference.

Edited by wickermoon

Yay, my badge :3

So if a fire-godlike :fdevil:  is unable to wear a cowl, how the hell do they expect them to go into stealth mode? :facepalm:

'Hey, Fred... Do you see something over there?'
'Uummm... Sortof looks like a burning head... kind of thing. '
'Thats what I thought! OI! YOU THERE!'
'Hey relax man, its probably just... Its probably nothing.'
'Hrmm... Yeah okay, but I dont like it.'

Edited by Striped_Wolf
  • Like 4

If I remember correctly, that question was asked a good while ago as well, and the answer then was "No plans for that feature".

There's no option in the Backer Beta for this. Doubt it will show up.

Edited by Ark Evensong

Its worse then this , Amulets take up the cloak visual....   So, i have to choose between amulet or the visual of having a cloak which feels neat and cool (and the fact, PoE has the nicest cloaks on any model i've ever seen in any game)

I feel, they are taking away from the quality of the game by making cloaks and amulets share the same place. Cloaks in this game are definetly something very visually stimulating, but if you want the bonus form something around your neck - that is not a cloak , you can not wear one then. Wish we could add at the very least, a cloak visual to the armors and clothing we wear, even if it adds nothing mechanically, but like just a box we can select, and POOF adds cloak visual. 

Would have been nice to have same with head gear too ! I think Blackguards does it right, or was it divinity:original sin ?  maybe both ? Either way, this would make this game so much better, considering how small of an overall feature it is.

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

Its worse then this , Amulets take up the cloak visual....   So, i have to choose between amulet or the visual of having a cloak which feels neat and cool (and the fact, PoE has the nicest cloaks on any model i've ever seen in any game)

I feel, they are taking away from the quality of the game by making cloaks and amulets share the same place. Cloaks in this game are definetly something very visually stimulating, but if you want the bonus form something around your neck - that is not a cloak , you can not wear one then. Wish we could add at the very least, a cloak visual to the armors and clothing we wear, even if it adds nothing mechanically, but like just a box we can select, and POOF adds cloak visual. 

Would have been nice to have same with head gear too ! I think Blackguards does it right, or was it divinity:original sin ?  maybe both ? Either way, this would make this game so much better, considering how small of an overall feature it is.

Then Im wondering, do amulets have any visuals?

What's worse is that I don't even see the point in equating Cloaks to Amulets. Saying "both goes around the neck" is nonsense on-par with arguments regarding the number of rings one can wear; "but I've got 10 fingers!".

It's intended as a balance issue, actually. Godlike are supposed to have their superior racial abilities balanced against the inability to wear helms, as per their introduction way back.

Mind you, their racial abilities aren't actually very good (2/4 of them are garbage, 1 is decidedly lame, and 1 is pretty okay I guess), so the whole Godlike premise doesn't actually hold up to examination.

I'm not sure which is a balancing feature for what. On one hand, Godlikes have a very special visual as part of their heads, which wouldn't work well with most helmets at all, and hence they might get some more powerful racial abilities to compensate for the loss of a helmet. On the other hand, godlikes are narratively "superior" to others, and literally influenced by supposedly divine entities, which might have prompted the idea that they lose their helmet as an effect of the developers wanting to make the mechanical correlate with the thematic (i.e. getting more powerful racials with the argument that they simply are narratively superior).

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter, it's a "chicken and the egg"-situation and academic at best. But what does matter, however, is that the godlikes are now missing their helmet slots, but their racials are actually still pretty terrible. The godlike racials should be a noticeable step above the rest, and when people discuss "who gets the best racials", the whole top tier should always be the godlikes.

Instead, that's very far from the truth. All of the godlike racials are meh at best and amongst the most terrible at worst.

t50aJUd.jpg

Then Im wondering, do amulets have any visuals?

no visuals on amulets. I checked.

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Its probably for balance, amulets and cloaks having the same kind of bonus maybe? Or possibly its so if you are a character who wears a certain type of armor that doesn't look good with a cape then you can wear an amulet instead and not feel suboptimal.

There's also the possibility that they simply did it because it could be that not everyone wants to have a cloak. Now, it's arguable that they could've just had a toggle for it to show or not, but we're not getting that for helmets, so why cloaks?

I just realized that I'm not even sure if I want my character to sport a cloak, since he won't be wearing any armour, but hopefully only those snazzy aedyr aristocrat clothes.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

There's also the possibility that they simply did it because it could be that not everyone wants to have a cloak. Now, it's arguable that they could've just had a toggle for it to show or not, but we're not getting that for helmets, so why cloaks?

I just realized that I'm not even sure if I want my character to sport a cloak, since he won't be wearing any armour, but hopefully only those snazzy aedyr aristocrat clothes.

THEN IT SHOULD BE OPTIONAL. 

They could have forgone any abilities on any cloaks/capes, and just kept them for the visual... either have them or not. Maybe even script a single conversation over a cloak who knows..

but let you wear amulet/necklaces/nooses etc... without removing the cloak. It makes very little sense. Even balance wise.

Are they balancing that because the god-likes have such ****ty abilities, they must also not be able to wear helmets too...why not have given them the chance to even use amulets and cloaks..that would be balancing at 8 items..

or is it that there is just not many cloaks or amulets in the game, so they made it the same slot ??

Theres two ring slots but Ive only ever seen a single ring so far in my beta playthroughs. 

So confused why this decision was made to combine cloaks/capes and amulets/necklaces. But whomever you are who made this decision, you lack have many people who would suggest otherwise.

It seems only natural too.

Obsidian wrote:

So if a fire-godlike :fdevil:  is unable to wear a cowl, how the hell do they expect them to go into stealth mode? :facepalm:

Increasing their stealth skill teaches them to alter their flame so that it emits more infrared radiation and less visible light.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's kind of hard to hide in shadows when your f***ing head emits light.

Fire godlike: *sneaky sneak*

Bandit: 'WTF dude I can clearly see you there.'

Fire godlike: 'Nu-uh, you don't recognize me.'

Bandit: 'The hell I don't, your f***ing head is on fire.'

Fire godlike: 'I'm a torch.'

Bandit: 'You're an idiot.'

Fire godlike: 'Said the guy talking to a torch.'

Bandit: 'You know what? You are right, I'm done talking with you.'

Fire godlike: 'AMBUSH! HA HA, didn't expect that, eh?'

Bandit: *groan* 'Oh. What. A. Surprise.'

Fire godlike: 'Damn right. My sneak attacks can cure snake hiccups.'

• Like 1