Music in Backer Beta

Stilpon

I've been playing 480 on my mac and I've found the music a little lacklustre. In the actual game, will there only be that one track for combat or will there be more variation? While exploring also, will there be more variety to music? That slow, melancholic track that we hear mostly in the Backer Beta is not bad, but I could see myself getting tired of it if it accompanied a whole game.

Only from what we've seen on streams i found at least 4 different combat tracks and 2 exploration ones.

I guess in the complete game there will be a nice amount of different tracks, probably every area (Dyrford, Defiance Bay, Twin Elms) will have its own track

Edited by Mazisky

The audio guy was experimenting with how frequently music play's and last he mentioned there was a 4 min delay from ambient music playing in area's and we know that he also is aware of listener fatigue, so hopefully there is a lot more in the real game. I watched a 30 min bb stream of vs 480 and that combat music has gotten a lot better than before, but everything else ive heard in other area's are a lot less repetitive in the melody.

A good thing BG did with music was add ambient sound like wind into it, as well as pauses where little to no sound was actually played.

For instance, The Ruins of Ulcaster:

• Like 3

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

The only combat theme Ive heard so far sounds incredibly annoying. Like circus music on steroids :wowey::shrugz:

https://youtu.be/4829IUMFhXc?t=3m3s

It's kinda like the SNL skit where the guy says I got a fever, and the only prescription is 'moar cowbell!!' that xylophone over and over is still almost like the initial horn part that was going dada da dada da dada dada for near eternity. That has been really reduced at least. I don't know how much that combat music is used in game you shared, but the other ones used in the livestreams were great and not annoying at all at least. 

Somewhat related, I quite liked the music at the Dracogen Inn in previous builds, but in the current one it's pretty hard to hear. I have to turn up the volume by quite a lot and mentally block out the ambient rowdy crowd noises if I want to listen to it. For me, the crowd noise is a little too thick/loud, and I'd like the Music to be a bit louder. 

The fade in of the music / ambient could perhaps use some work, too - you're entering a busy place, I'd say it's okay for the sound to hit you upon entering, instead of the build up that's better suited for larger maps.

Nitpicks/Personal preferences, sure.

The only combat theme Ive heard so far sounds incredibly annoying. Like circus music on steroids :wowey::shrugz:

Ugh, yes it does.   That was an old version that sneaked into the build, it's fixed now.

No problem experimenting a little wile it is still in beta, good to hear this particular song didnt make it into final game :)

It's still in the game, just that one part the link goes to with the constant wind runs (flute sounds that sound like R2D2) is changed.  No more R2D2.  

It's understandable that most backer beta folks are tired of this song.   To most new players though it's probably not going to sound as annoying.

• Like 1

Ugh, yes it does.   That was an old version that sneaked into the build, it's fixed now.

Oh good. I was worried there for a bit. As a composer myself I appreciate the added flair, but it just felt like it wasn't mixed properly.

I overall like what you have done with the tracks we have been able to hear, it's been interesting to follow the progression of certain pieces. I always have the temptation to overcomplicate simple compositions.. adding complexity is fun but it's not always for the best. I'm always worried I will cross the threshold from "that sounds cool" to "what the **** was that!?!".

Edited by Havelok

Somewhat related, I quite liked the music at the Dracogen Inn in previous builds, but in the current one it's pretty hard to hear. I have to turn up the volume by quite a lot and mentally block out the ambient rowdy crowd noises if I want to listen to it. For me, the crowd noise is a little too thick/loud, and I'd like the Music to be a bit louder. 

The fade in of the music / ambient could perhaps use some work, too - you're entering a busy place, I'd say it's okay for the sound to hit you upon entering, instead of the build up that's better suited for larger maps.

I'll take a listen next week, see if there's something we can do to balance things out more.   The fade in part is a bit trickier unfortunately.  We use randomly triggered one shot sound effects and it takes a few seconds for that to develop.

• Like 1

<3

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

I'll take a listen next week, see if there's something we can do to balance things out more.   The fade in part is a bit trickier unfortunately.  We use randomly triggered one shot sound effects and it takes a few seconds for that to develop.

Justin I believe that there is a bug with the volume sliders, and that volume is being scaled linearly rather than log(10) which is how sound is calculated.

• Like 1

ohh, birds should only be heard at daytime. I bet they could have used a dedicated audio programmer to catch stuff like that.

I saw some videos on youtube and in the last build there are crickets and nighthawls at night, instead of birds : - )))))))))))))))))))))))))

A good thing BG did with music was add ambient sound like wind into it, as well as pauses where little to no sound was actually played.

BG has such an awesome and moody soundtrack.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

For me, this track and unfortunately too other few like this one, are the epitome of what a soundtrack should be.

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.