Dual Class, Multi Class or similar

I have been going through all the updates and the POE wiki. Am I correct in assuming that there will be no dual class, multi class (or similar) options? Rather the flexibility is in the choice of skills/talents/perks/traits (somewhat similar to Dragon Age: Origins) and also gear (somewhat similar to Neverwinter Nights).

E.g. you choose how to develop your characters via spending points on level up, further to that you choose what your characters wear (e.g. monks with weapons) but need to keep in mind the consequences of equipping certain gears.

Solo in BG2 support great fun just because of Dual class and Multi class.That was a great design.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Solo in BG2 support great fun just because of Dual class and Multi class.That was a great design.

Actually that was the result of really _bad_ design in the AD&D ruleset.   Demi-humans  :facepalm: could multiclass in first edition because they had level limits.

That you could exploit the living hell out of it in BG2 is completely unrelated to the original purpose of the design. 

• Like 1

They might figure out a way to do it for PoE 2, but I wouldn't hold your breath. 

It's also slightly counter to the lore, as each class gains their power from manipulating their soul in different ways. Paladins burn their soul, Wizards manipulate ambient souls, Druids commune with the soul of nature, etc etc. 

GIven the potential for mechanical abuse in the concept of multi/dual classing, I'm glad there's no multi/dual classing.

As someone who enjoys employing their skills at mechanical abuse, this makes me eager to see what new ways I can mess with the system there is.

They might figure out a way to do it for PoE 2, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Tabletop games have produced approaches that might be workable under PoE's core mechanics - D&D4E and Thirteenth Age spring to mind immediately as inspirations, should the developers have any interest in working on this.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Tabletop games have produced approaches that might be workable under PoE's core mechanics - D&D4E and Thirteenth Age spring to mind immediately as inspirations, should the developers have any interest in working on this.

Dunoo where i read this, but devs are actually interested in this. JE Sawyer said they had to give up with multi classing in PoE 1 because it would be very time consuming to find a good way to do it. His statement was that even DnD struggle with multiclassing since the start. He said they might come with something in the future, but not for PoE1 And it's not for sure, even in PoE2.

While the BG2 system was possibly not perfect, i enjoyed multiclassing in it. Was great fun. Don't care the little balance problems, the purpose of a game being to be fun. I did not felt like my multi classed character was really overpowered. But true that the gear limitations and stuff could seem weird at times. If OE comes up with an idea in the future, i would be realy glad.

I prefer this state too. One of the things about including dual class and multi class was that it made the vanilla classes somewhat inferior. A level 3 fighter dual to mage / cleric / druid / thief was always better than its respective vanilla human counterpart, due to the slightly improved combat bonus, 18/00 strength, ability to use helmets (although this bonus is somewhat unnecessary with bg2 the introduction of ioun stones), ability to wear all fighter armors (especially druid), ability to use most weapons (mage, thief), 18 constitution. And of course all of these are compounded when you choose berserker or kensai - and start the dual class at level 9 or 13 for that level's respective bonus.

whenever I play a game with multiclassing I try to do a char that has all the classes and end up not being good at anything really lol

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Never been a fan of dual/multi-classing anyway.

Oh, and just to let you know, my 2nd level Warrior/Ranger/Cleric/Mage/Squirrel/Carrot/Communist will finally level up some time later this month.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/65829-update-74-the-mob-rulers-wizards-and-druids-and-our-partnership-with-paradox/page-9?do=findComment&comment=1432180

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...