[480] Keys should give the same XP as lockpicking.

Odd Hermit

Question

I often have a character who can pick a lock that I have a key to. The game chooses the key over picking the lock by default, so I lose XP.

Can't drop keys from inventory to avoid, have to simply not pick them up.

It's a little thing but a bit irritating.

I think it's been this way pre-480 but I just decided it was worth a complaint now.

Edited by Odd Hermit

7 answers to this question

don't pick keys up, in PoE keys are taboo.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Or just remove the stupid XP rewards that are completely out of place.

• Like 4

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Best solution would be to get rid of Lock/Trap XP. There really is no point in those except favouring parties with rogues, and pointless similarities with IE games (which is normally good, but not in this case). But if for some reason Lock/Trap XP is kept (please remove it), then yes, using a key should give the same XP as disarming the trap.

Otherwise you run into the Deus Ex HR problem of never using passwords because hacking gives you more XP. Or here you'll drop your keys because using lockpics/skills is more rewarding.

But really just kill lock/trap XP. Everything else is fine about XP except this.

• Like 1

Best solution would be to get rid of Lock/Trap XP. There really is no point in those except favouring parties with rogues, and pointless similarities with IE games (which is normally good, but not in this case). But if for some reason Lock/Trap XP is kept (please remove it), then yes, using a key should give the same XP as disarming the trap.

Otherwise you run into the Deus Ex HR problem of never using passwords because hacking gives you more XP. Or here you'll drop your keys because using lockpics/skills is more rewarding.

But really just kill lock/trap XP. Everything else is fine about XP except this.

In the EE version sod the BG series they made unlocking and recovering/tripping traps xp much much less...like 15 xp or something. It was originally like 100-1500xp depending on the traps and locks...

The game was much better balanced when unlocking chests and drawers gave virtually no xp. the game became more fun. made it really tedious to unlock things, but if your a burgler, its what you do !  

Wish we could isolate who was sneaking around. I know it changes very little, but it just seems silly when everyone goes into crouching, because one sneak thief is 200m away and started to crouch.... immersion breaking in a way even. Also, we should have thieving skills, and mechanics to make this a true successor. EVERYONE (relatively speaking) used thieving mechanics in those isometric games. 

• Like 1

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

[...]

[...]

This was actually the exact example I was going to post. DE:HR is the perfect example of someone ruining one of the best examples of goal-oriented experience with the worst kind of random experience doleouts.

Any real RPG should be entirely built around goal-oriented experience, not ridiculous **** like this.

Herp derp always go for stealth takedown even if you want to kill them.

Herp derp hack every computer even if you know there's nothing on them.

Herp derp don't use passcodes, keycodes or keys, hack, lockpick or circumvent even when you don't want to.

I think the "bestiary" experience in PoE is bad enough, but handing out experience for disarming traps or picking locks is the dumbest thing ever. Finding a trap you can't pass yet and say "Screw it, I'm going to trip it and hope I survive" should be just as viable of a tactic as actually disarming it. Handing out experience for things like this dissuades original thinking and is the opposite of positive, reactive, emergent gameplay.

After the travesty that was DE:HR and with all we learned in Baldur's Gate II, it's pretty unforgivable that we've ended up in this situation once again.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg