Petition : Make Looting functions optional.

The thing is, you will care a lot less about what you loot when you do not see it, or know what was from where. It will just go to a pile in your stash and you will just sell it all or something later... it becomes a lot less meaningful. It is a bad example to make for the genre's future. Sometimes people do not know what they want. What seems like a great idea great gift, actually can remove what you find fun an interesting. The point is, looting is something very very important to these kinds of games. Changing it up too much is not making it a spiritual successor so much as changing it, completely. New mechanics are just that - new mechanics. Its bad enough we will not have Thieving mechanics in the game.

What's this mechanism? I thought we were talking about loot area? You know, this thing?

pT6iVYz.png

Do you see the tabs on the right-hand side? Those are corpses. The tabs on the left-hand side are player characters. With area looting, you're just spared a bit of clicking. You still know which corpse had which piece of equipment, and you choose where it goes.

You're talking about something else in your original post, I think. Loot vacuuming or something. Not loot area.

Thats not a loot area wide, thats what we have now in PoE though it doesn't seperate the bodies. Its loots everything within a small distance. Not the entire area. Also, in wasteland, it took away form old school genre of looting, and made it more generic and mediocre again. Its a trend towards people who are more familiar with games like WOW or something. Go play that instead if you prefer to have your hand held rather then the old school basics.

And you can fail at looting by missing something or being too lazy to bother walking around and looting. 

Looting everything within 3 meters with a single click makes ense, because it stops things being missed from clipping and overlapping, and we have all had that issue where something just wouldn't click properly. But the whole area ?? ****, I its off screen leave it off screen. Wasteland 2 does not have a area wide looting function, it has a radius looting function, and it stays individual as well. Even though there is a loot all function. Its bad, but no one ever expected great things from wasteland 2 to begin with. Its fun, but still, in the end, a bit mediocre and not that large of a game. I've played the whole thing through twice.

Edited by Azmodiuz

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

Looting everything within 3 meters with a single click makes ense, because it stops things being missed from clipping and overlapping, and we have all had that issue where something just wouldn't click properly. But the whole area ?? ****, I its off screen leave it off screen. Wasteland 2 does not have a area wide looting function, it has a radius looting function, and it stays individual as well. Even though there is a loot all function. Its bad, but no one ever expected great things from wasteland 2 to begin with. Its fun, but still, in the end, a bit mediocre and not that large of a game. I've played the whole thing through twice.

What are you talking about? PoE uses exactly that 3 meters radius loot, not a whole area (as stated by Josh on twitter). So what's the problem? Edited by Zack Fair

J_C from Codexia

This is clearly an exaggeration. At least it proves that the game is in such a good shape that people have to get mad over these very minor things.

I agree with this, as I've said the same thing elsewhere. Maybe a poll inside the forum would have been a better way to demonstrate how much support this opinion has, but I do support the opinion that loot area when added up with other decisions contributes to dumbing down the gameplay

Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

"...contributes to dumbing down the gameplay"

I appreciate that this game is trading on nostalgia and that therefor changes like this can change the "feels" of the game in an upsetting way for IE superfans but the idea that it's "dumbing down" the game is absurd. I'm pretty sure that no one has demonstrated how smart they are by showing that, yes, they can click on loot containers.

• Like 3

I appreciate that this game is trading on nostalgia and that therefor changes like this can change the "feels" of the game in an upsetting way for IE superfans but the idea that it's "dumbing down" the game is absurd. I'm pretty sure that no one has demonstrated how smart they are by showing that, yes, they can click on loot containers.

You don't get it. By being able to click on every corpse one by one, you will be so immersed, it is if you are right there in a fantasy world. :D **** art and sound design and NPCs, clicking on corpses is where it's at.

Edited by Zack Fair
  • Like 4

J_C from Codexia

I hope they hardcode it so that you can't even mod it out, just as a punishment for the utter ridiculousness of this reaction to area loot.

• Like 8

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

I do support the opinion

I hope they hardcode it so that you can't even mod it out, just as a punishment for the utter ridiculousness of this reaction to area loot.

This tells us some things about yourself actually. Edited by Gairnulf

eFoHp9V.png

I agree with this, as I've said the same thing elsewhere. Maybe a poll inside the forum would have been a better way to demonstrate how much support this opinion has, but I do support the opinion that loot area when added up with other decisions contributes to dumbing down the gameplay

If by "dumbed down" you mean "convenient", then I agree. However, "dumbing down" usually means something requires less smarts. I fail to see how much smarts you needed in order to check out loot of the fallen foes.

*click* *click* *click*

If by "dumbed down" you mean "convenient", then I agree. However, "dumbing down" usually means something requires less smarts. I fail to see how much smarts you needed in order to check out loot of the fallen foes.

*click* *click* *click*

Stash(aka infinite inventory)+area loot results in exactly this: Open loot container -> Click the "Send all to stash" button, without even looking at the stuff, because hey, limitless inventory! -> go to the merchant -> Cash in the junk. No hassle involved. All thanks to advanced mechanics designed to remove "troublesome" aspects of playing. Like challenge. Or any obstacle to getting so rich that money is not a factor in the game any more.

Personally, this makes me feel treated like a retard or a 3-year old: "Look at all the shiny things! Collect them and you get gold!"

Merchants with limited gold would have been nice to see but I can understand they aren't there because they weren't there in the IE games. But you know what also wasn't in those games - limitless inventory and area loot weren't.

eFoHp9V.png

*click* *click* *click*

Stash(aka infinite inventory)+area loot results in exactly this: Open loot container -> Click the "Send all to stash" button, without even looking at the stuff, because hey, limitless inventory! -> go to the merchant -> Cash in the junk. No hassle involved. All thanks to advanced mechanics designed to remove "troublesome" aspects of playing. Like challenge. Or any obstacle to getting so rich that money is not a factor in the game any more.

Personally, this makes me feel treated like a retard or a 3-year old: "Look at all the shiny things! Collect them and you get gold!"

Merchants with limited gold would have been nice to see but I can understand they aren't there because they weren't there in the IE games. But you know what also wasn't in those games - limitless inventory and area loot weren't.

For the love of God, Using stash (infinity inventory) already means that you don't have think about sorting inventory, or deciding which loot you pick up and which ones don't. Areal loot or individual loot won't change a bit about it. If you have a stash, you will still click on every cropse, and you will pick up every loot to sell later. Area looting will just mean that you don't have to click on everything one by one. If you want to blame something, blame infinite inventory, but don't say that area loot makes you retarded, because IT DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Click the "Send all to stash" button, without even looking at the stuff,

Really? Do you think people don't care which super awesome +10 sword they pick up? Edited by Zack Fair
  • Like 1

J_C from Codexia

Indeed. Zack Fair is correct. Loot area itself is fine as a mechanic.

By the way, I heard you can disable remote stash in options?

You disable taking things from it but not putting things in it. original.gif

For the love of God, Using stash (infinity inventory) already means that you don't have think about sorting inventory, or deciding which loot you pick up and which ones don't.

Yes, and once I have infinite inventory and the ability to roleplay a vacuum cleaner after each battle, this "contributes to dumbing down the game" as I already described. You can do one more circle around this statement if it will help you understand it.

Areal loot or individual loot won't change a bit about it.

I described how it does change more than a bit.

If you have a stash, you will still click on every cropse, and you will pick up every loot to sell later.

Less likely, because the effort needed to do so would be greater without area loot.

Area looting will just mean that you don't have to click on everything one by one.

See, you actually get what I mean. That's one reason I don't want area loot - it makes the vacuum cleaner behavior easier. The other reason is more subjective, hence I'm not putting it forward so much - I like checking out containers. When a few containers get grouped together this takes away something I like to do. Checking containers is part of the game. If someone finds it tedious I think they shoud not play the game instead of coming up with a "you win" button.

If you want to blame something, blame infinite inventory, but don't say that area loot makes you retarded, because IT DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

You are getting too worked up. Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 1

eFoHp9V.png

It can work. I don't see a problem then. I never understood why people were so hard against the fast travel option - in another game - either. I simply didn't use it myself, but appreciated the possibility to use it just in case. I suppose it'll be exactly the same here. I am not really interested in selling every trash for an extra coin.

It can work. I don't see a problem then. I never understood why people were so hard against the fast travel option - in another game - either. I simply didn't use it myself, but appreciated the possibility to use it just in case. I suppose it'll be exactly the same here. I am not really interested in selling every trash for an extra coin.

Nice. Then you need area loot just to be able to check out most/all bodies at once?

eFoHp9V.png

Problem here is, it's not optional.

Though I don't care myself, I understand the point people made about being able to know which enemy dropped what. Since we don't know exactly how it works, people are concerned about this.

But yeah, a petition, come on :>

Edited by CaptainMace

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

Nice. Then you need area loot just to be able to check out most/all bodies at once?

Do you suggest the outcome would have been different otherwise?

"The outcome" being what?

Since we don't know exactly how it works, people are concerned about this.

Well, no matter which side initiates battle, part of the enemy group will usually be melee fighting characters and another part will be ranged-fighting. Engagement pretty much determines that you will have one small group of loot containers where your tank/fighter/character who was closest to the enemy group used to be, and a few more scattered loot containers where the ranged enemies were.

Some additional confusion and uncertainty come from the fact that you can't visually tell what are 3 meters in-game. Questions and wondering begin: "Now that I clicked this loot container, how many enemies' items does it contain actually? Should I go and click the farthest container in the cluster as well? Or is that one close enough to be grouped under the 3 meters rule... Maybe I should click it just to be safe I'm not missing something... But wait, it shows some items I saw previously and also some others but they are identical to the items I saw when I clicked the container on the other side of the cluster of containers... So what belongs to whom now? As for those two far-away containers I'll probably have to click individually, the 3m rule doesn't apply to them."

I don't know who needs that and I can't imagine anything good coming out of this mechanic.

Edited by Gairnulf

eFoHp9V.png

Hoping PoE devs never have to see foolishness like this. It's an ease of use function that makes life easier without being ridiculous (e.g. I can loot the entire map at once), what's the problem? PoE doesn't need to mimic IE games to this extent.

Problem here is, it's not optional.

The argument was that stash mechanic combined with area loot mechanic is bad, not area loot mechanic itself being bad.

Oh my bad. then I agree with you, unless the stash is enabled everywhere, which is an option, I don't see how area looting is much a problem combined with it.

When you decide to enable the stash access everywhere though, it indeed leads to shoving everything in it without paying attention, 'cause you can, which fits more farming oriented games that how IE games handled loot and rewards in general. But that's an optional mechanic.

Still people wouldn't be that upset if area looting was optional which is understandable, and I don't see any reason not to patch the game after release, since they probably don't have time right now, to make it so.

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

This is clearly an exaggeration. At least it proves that the game is in such a good shape that people have to get mad over these very minor things.

No, no it does not.  There is no correlation between what people decide to get worked up about and a lack of real problems. 

Indeed. Zack Fair is correct. Loot area itself is fine as a mechanic.

By the way, I heard you can disable remote stash in options?

You disable taking things from it but not putting things in it. original.gif

For the love of God, Using stash (infinity inventory) already means that you don't have think about sorting inventory, or deciding which loot you pick up and which ones don't.

Yes, and once I have infinite inventory and the ability to roleplay a vacuum cleaner after each battle, this "contributes to dumbing down the game" as I already described. You can do one more circle around this statement if it will help you understand it.

Areal loot or individual loot won't change a bit about it.

I described how it does change more than a bit.

If you have a stash, you will still click on every cropse, and you will pick up every loot to sell later.

Less likely, because the effort needed to do so would be greater without area loot.

Area looting will just mean that you don't have to click on everything one by one.

See, you actually get what I mean. That's one reason I don't want area loot - it makes the vacuum cleaner behavior easier. The other reason is more subjective, hence I'm not putting it forward so much - I like checking out containers. When a few containers get grouped together this takes away something I like to do. Checking containers is part of the game. If someone finds it tedious I think they shoud not play the game instead of coming up with a "you win" button.

If you want to blame something, blame infinite inventory, but don't say that area loot makes you retarded, because IT DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

You are getting too worked up.

So you are going to vacuum cleaner mode because of area looting. Now who's fault is that? Nobody is focing you to go OCD. And I have a feeling that you would still pickup everything even if you had to click on every corpse individually. Area loot at least makes this more comfortable. And if you don't want to pick up evertything, you will simply don't do it area loot or no.

J_C from Codexia