Petition : Make Looting functions optional.

https://www.change.org/p/pillars-of-eternity-make-looting-functions-optional-not-forced-area-wide

This is to reverse making looting, area wide by a single click by default, with no option to change it.

We want a modern style, but also option to do as we have always done for 25 years when looting.

We do not want Diablo 3 run into loot, or One click all -stash all.

The area wide looting function will ruin immersion greatly, and it detracts from a play mechanic that is staple of the RPG genre.

Might as well take away levelling up, or customisation next. (Sarcasm, please do not do this. I shouldn't have to say this)

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

You made a Chane.Org for this?

Maybe if enough people give criticism of this after the game is out, for a PoE 2 or even the expansion. But, unfortunately, the game comes out in a little over a week and a half. Meanig it has been finished for quite some time.

Also: comparing taking leveling out of an RPG to the loot system being slightly different yet still normally functional is really odd.

• Like 9

There are many reasons why area-wide looting is a bad choice. 

It makes newer players lazy and unable to experience the kind of mechanics we all faced growing up when playing the older games.

It also makes little sense, it just saves time, and it encourages a "you can not fail" attitude. It only helps make future games more mediocre.

I am sure others think the same, and will once they try it. I personally believe, this will make the game more boring, less adventurous, and more mediocre, it encourages running through an area quicker with less regard to what you will find, and just kill things and get it over with, loot, and move on.

The latter is a good option, but not if you can not choose it. For the later parts of the game, going through an area again and again, sure, seems decent enough to use, but not for a first pass. Just a horrible idea. Hopefully we can do something to make it optional sooner then later. 

the fans who all pledged for this game, would not have voted or agreed to make such a mechanic forced on you.

Edited by Azmodiuz

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

The thing is, you will care a lot less about what you loot when you do not see it, or know what was from where. It will just go to a pile in your stash and you will just sell it all or something later... it becomes a lot less meaningful. It is a bad example to make for the genre's future. Sometimes people do not know what they want. What seems like a great idea great gift, actually can remove what you find fun an interesting. The point is, looting is something very very important to these kinds of games. Changing it up too much is not making it a spiritual successor so much as changing it, completely. New mechanics are just that - new mechanics. Its bad enough we will not have Thieving mechanics in the game. 

Obsidian wrote:

Well, I ma sure you can go search for whatever is new in the stash, in worse case, right ?

Obsidian wrote:

No, what your speaking of, is the looting function that is already in place. Its everything within a few meters , that is looted together. Its already one step towards area- wide looting.

At least in wasteland 2, you know what is coming from whom, and you still have to walk over and loot. At least its not magically teleported into your loot/stash. (Which is very bad for games that try to aim for realism regardless of using magic mechanics and stuff)

Obsidian wrote:

I do like loot, but I don't like hassle in a game that's not designed to be semi-realistic or simulation. In Running With Rifles you have to come close enough to pick up a weapon, but it matters, because battlefield is a dangerous place and you can die while trying to recover your lost items (because you died and dying is easy there). In IE games you simply looted everything after combat (or at least checked everything that was checkable). It didn't matter to me what came from whom. I just saw something I liked and took it. I also liked the bag that gave you a lot of inventory space. Helped a lot. That's why I am sympathetic to this new addition. Your arguments are not even rational to me.

• Like 1

I'm not being facetious, and I'm certainly trying not to be dismissive, but I simply don't understand the depth of feeling I've seen on this.  Not just from you, Azmod.  From what I've seen, it's not a majority opinion, but certainly a vocal minority who hates the area looting.  I can understand not liking it, but to make a petition over it?

The fact is, last time I played the beta, I didn't like how it looked altogether.  The stash was weird.  I hated that I had to be at an in or camping to switch stuff around.  The way individual characters didn't really come up with an inventory screen was offputing.  ...But it just seemed so minor.  ...And this deal with the area looting seems truly trivial on the downside.  It's a huge convenience for folks who want it, but doesn't seem to detract much for folks who would rather walk over to a few more corpses to loot them.

I agree that it would have been interesting to see how it worked beforehand, though.  I have a gut feeling that a lot of people are upset at prospective implementation who might not actually mind how it ends up working in the game.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

WTF, seriously...

Of all the things that are different some one makes a petition over this, one of the potentially most useful changes and one that no one has actually tried out.

And based on your second post you don't really seem to know what your talking about compared even to the very brief description posted by JS. Really the ability to pick up stuff off dead bodies within 3m of your selected party member (about a 5th of a screen width) ruins the game?

Edited by aeonsim

This is clearly an exaggeration. At least it proves that the game is in such a good shape that people have to get mad over these very minor things.

I don't pretend to speak for a majority, but I think that many players will find area looting useful and not immersion-breaking at all. And before some arrogant "codex guy" butts in telling me "you didn't play BG!"... I DID, since I was 14. And still, I approve this feature.

It is not a "take all" button, and it's plausible that items/weapons/personal possessions won't stay GLUED to individual bodies after they've been dismembered or fireballed, therefore you have to pick them up from a small area. :rolleyes: 

• Like 2

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

Azmodiuz:

When you loot a corpse, and you don't want the ease and glory of area loot. Here's what you do:

• Loot the corpse you clicked on
  • Ignore the tabs
  • Close the loot screen
  • Click on another corpse, and repeat

Fnord.

The thing is, you will care a lot less about what you loot when you do not see it, or know what was from where. It will just go to a pile in your stash and you will just sell it all or something later... it becomes a lot less meaningful. It is a bad example to make for the genre's future. Sometimes people do not know what they want. What seems like a great idea great gift, actually can remove what you find fun an interesting. The point is, looting is something very very important to these kinds of games. Changing it up too much is not making it a spiritual successor so much as changing it, completely. New mechanics are just that - new mechanics. Its bad enough we will not have Thieving mechanics in the game.

What's this mechanism? I thought we were talking about loot area? You know, this thing?

pT6iVYz.png

Do you see the tabs on the right-hand side? Those are corpses. The tabs on the left-hand side are player characters. With area looting, you're just spared a bit of clicking. You still know which corpse had which piece of equipment, and you choose where it goes.

You're talking about something else in your original post, I think. Loot vacuuming or something. Not loot area.

Fnord.

There are many reasons why area-wide looting is a bad choice. 

It makes newer players lazy and unable to experience the kind of mechanics we all faced growing up when playing the older games.

What? PoE should use old mechanics just to show what we faced 20 years ago? Why don't you make a petition against automapping while you are at it. If a mechanic is good, use it. If it is not, then don't use it. Don't use it just because it was in the old games.

It also makes little sense, it just saves time,

That's quite a good reason.

and it encourages a "you can not fail" attitude.

****ing what? How can you fail at looting?

It only helps make future games more mediocre.

I don't see the connection.

I'm all for making area loot an option, and keeping individual looting in, but the reasons you listed are pure BS.

• Like 2

J_C from Codexia