My hopes for PoE after Playing Dragon Age Inquisition

Lot's of Dragon Age haters in here... just comes off as ignorant and close-minded.

I wouldn't reasult to mocks and insults.

:-

observations are not mocks or insults.. "ignorant" and "close-minded" are words with defintions, which fit with the comments in here.

Also, notice my demeanor - how I stated "comes off as" instead of "is," unlike many did here when speaking of DA.

Edited by H0RSE

artastrophe's custom BG2 portraits   --   preview

"Maybe they can make a loot item called "combat." Then, you could collect it, and turn it in to someone for an XP reward."

- Lephys

Just mention Dragon Age, and people come out of the woodwork as if not posting anything will damage their street cred.

Not just DA. I also think the Witcher games are extremely mediocre, the Elder Scrolls series is a pox on gaming, and I'd rather stab myself with rusty garden shears than play a Souls game again. Basically, most things people choose to call RPGs kinda suck.

Awaiting my cred points...

• Like 2

The problem with DA:I isn't it's length IMO. It's the quality of the game content. It's so pretty, but soooooooo boring. The only worthwhile thing in the game is the classic bioware banter, which sometimes makes you smile. Everything feels so superficial and the crit path is just subpar.

Mediocracy! 

• Like 3

The problem with DA:I isn't it's length IMO. It's the quality of the game content. It's so pretty, but soooooooo boring. The only worthwhile thing in the game is the classic bioware banter, which sometimes makes you smile. Everything feels so superficial and the crit path is just subpar.

Mediocracy! 

I think the main issue with DA:I is that the design mission goal was to make a game with a max playtime of 200 hours. You never should let playtime dictate design.

I played a fair bit of DA:I until I got bored and quit. It had some redeeming qualities -- looked good, environments were thoughtfully designed, it worked technically well, some the characters were well written and voiced, most of the quests, areas, and other content in it were well-grounded in the lore of the world, and the conceit of the Inquisition tied things up with a nice little ribbon -- but gawd was the gameplay just dull. Spam spam spam spam spam, endless mountains of same-y loot, endless collect-5-of-this, 10-of-that quests, and so on and so forth.

If they had put, like, one-tenth of the effort that went into those environments and put it into making the gameplay – what you're actually doing when you're playing the game – engaging, it would've been a pretty good game. As it is, it's utterly forgettable. I'm not BioWare's biggest fan, but I have enjoyed many of their games, and I really really really hope this isn't how they'll all play from now on because it'd be such a huge waste.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Mediocracy! 

I think the main issue with DA:I is that the design mission goal was to make a game with a max playtime of 200 hours. You never should let playtime dictate design.

I agree. I guess the DA 2 scare really got to them. Somehow they listened too much to their fans, and it let to some poor design choices.

@PrimeJunta +1

Mediocracy! 

I agree. I guess the DA 2 scare really got to them. Somehow they listened too much to their fans, and it let to some poor design choices.

@PrimeJunta +1

I don't know any of their fans who were clamoring for crappy collection quests.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Collectibles are just quest fillers. I don't mind PoE having some but not heavily FOCUSED on. I rather have meaningful quests. And i LIKE meaningful items like Celestial Fury, Holy Avenger, etc. Not some grind fest to get some normal items with better stats.

DAI is only to long because 80% of the game is meaningless grind.

I'm not a hater of anything that isn't EI like. hell I even enjoyed Fallout 3 and Skyrim. 

When you buy a Bioware game you should by now know what is is your getting story and character wise. And alot of poeple enjoy that.

But even if DAI did get the enjoyable bioware stuff right. It failed on so many other accounts, the loot system is boring, all the none story based quest are a major grind that in the end gives you little to nothing in return, its also really really easy.

I played the game on nightmare, and at no point in the game did I feel I had to really optimise my gear or build (and that leads to loot being mostly worthless, because you can beat any encounter with random gear anyway). And to make the games even easier they give you a SUPERPOWER ABILITY that if used can win you any encounter. I kill the last boss in around 15 sec by stopping time and spinning with my axe on him. 

I can still enjoy the bioware stories unlike many on this forum, but if you take a look at the game with a critical eye, it really is pure trash. A huge world with filler content with no real purpose.

I played Origins four, five times (not in a row tho), and had to force myself to get thru Inquisition once.

I kept thinking ... the next fetch/kill quest will lead to something worthwhile ... boy am I stupid.

Yeah PoE will be a nice change of pace.

For Firedorn all the Lads grieve

This Adam woke up next to Eve.

But beneath leaves of Fig,

He found Berries and Twig,

So Himself off a cliff he did heave.

I played DA:I for about 30 hours, and I'm left with no memorable moments at all. Seems like half of that time was used to gather resources. But I tend to go back to it and give it another shot, just because of the amazing Origins. I'm sure I'll stop going back to it once PoE hits though. 

I played Origins four, five times (not in a row tho), and had to force myself to get thru Inquisition once.

I kept thinking ... the next fetch/kill quest will lead to something worthwhile ... boy am I stupid.

Yeah PoE will be a nice change of pace.

No one knows before the game's out. Of course it's good to be hopeful.

I actually played through DA2 5 times and only managed to finish DAI once. It does say something about the game.

I liked Originis very much, DA2 wouldn't be so bad if not for the reused areas.

But Inquisition, it's like an single player mmo. It has no replay value for me and the main plot is uber-weak and boring. I can't phantom how this game got so many awards. The only good thing about it is the graphics, and if graphics are the only good thing in an crpg... whel you get the picture.

• Like 1

I have 200 hours in DAI (one full playthrough and an unfinished one + countless restart to get the right character).

I liked the game well enough and I got my money worth but I'm kind of jaded now. The main quests all happening in their own little maps and cutscene not always matching where you clicked on characters are annoying me greatly, I would have preferred a better real world representation of all of that. The Inquisitor come off as super-bland too, outside of a few early conversation, optional map missions and how people's address you, their backgrounds barely comes into play.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Mm, I don't think you can even compare the DA games with one another. Origins was superb, Da2 a serious disapointment and things got a whole lot worse with Inquisition. The major problem with it was Bioware are good at certain types of games- closed, tight. Open world is really tough to get right, in fact for a rpg I reckon it's always going to impossible. Bethesda are superb at world building but godawful at storytelling. Bioware are good at storytelling and terrible at world building. Between the two of them they might actually be able to make a decent game :)

Seriously I did enjoy Skyrim, I accepted it for what it was, and heck Bethesda can build open worlds. I definitely don't have any complaints. But I had an expectation with DAI that there would be an actual, you know story/plot. So you have a badly designed open world in which the areas are only tenuously linked with one another and no story. Skyrim felt like everything hung together, not like the areas were created by designers working for different companies and only right at the end where they stitched together. And as people' have pointed out, the actual story is laughably short, in fact if you take the grinding needed its probably only around a couple of hours. Absolutely mind blowingly insane that they thought they could get away with it.

Edited by rheingold

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Just mention Dragon Age, and people come out of the woodwork as if not posting anything will damage their street cred.

Not just DA. I also think the Witcher games are extremely mediocre, the Elder Scrolls series is a pox on gaming, and I'd rather stab myself with rusty garden shears than play a Souls game again. Basically, most things people choose to call RPGs kinda suck.

Awaiting my cred points...

Which is why I called them adventure games :)

• Like 2