Adventurers vs Companions?

Companions have personalities and their own story, like companions from Baldur's Gate. Adventurers for hire are more like characters from Icewind Dale - just some custom made characters, with no personality or story of their own.

I remember the outcry for DA2-DAI when you were not able to murder the companions. We all know why - since they are limited and game is designed to be played with 4 characters. Great idea from Obsidian to implement "guns for hire" just in case some people will hate every single companion and will want to kill them.

Companions have personalities and their own story, like companions from Baldur's Gate. Adventurers for hire are more like characters from Icewind Dale - just some custom made characters, with no personality or story of their own.

That's not fair, Kal! My custom party had personality. There are plenty of voices in my head, they all have their own personality, and I could have them exchanging dialogue every time I played.

Seriously, though, I think the adventurer idea will be good once I've played through. I can include NPCs I like, forget the rest, and add adventurers to make up the difference. I just hope we don't have any NPCs forced into my party. Even if I like them, I'm irritated at being required to take around folks in my merry band.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Seriously, though, I think the adventurer idea will be good once I've played through. I can include NPCs I like, forget the rest, and add adventurers to make up the difference. I just hope we don't have any NPCs forced into my party. Even if I like them, I'm irritated at being required to take around folks in my merry band.

I especially hate when you are forced to have a certain person in your party because of the quest and you need to dismiss one of the existing party members since your party is full at the time. At very least ignore the party size restriction until the companion becomes "optional" :|

The adventurers sound really good for the "treating this as a challenge"-type playthroughs. The more you're trying to experience all the writing and narrative aspects of the game (whether that be your first playthrough or not), the more you're going to want to go with the pre-created companions. Even if you don't like ALL of them, and leave most of them at the stronghold and/or don't even hire them (although, it'd have to be a pretty horrible first impression for you to not-even-hire-them from the get-go. How else will you get to know them and ecide you hate them if you don't hire them and travel with them for a bit?).

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Max party size is 6. There are 8 total companions and you can hire up to 8 additional adventurers.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The maximum party size you can have at any one time is six. That includes your main character and any combination of five other companions or adventurers. This is the number you play with. The rest you can't take with you, can wait at your stronghold.

Companions are party NPC's that are created by Obsidian that have their own unique voice sets, storylines, and dialogue.

Adventurers are generic characters you can create at the Adventurer's Hall for a fee. They have no personality beyond what you cook up in your imagination. The maximum number you can create is 8.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

That's not fair, Kal! My custom party had personality. There are plenty of voices in my head, they all have their own personality, and I could have them exchanging dialogue every time I played.

The custom party in Icewind Dale can have story and personality, it just depends on how much time you are willing to put on them (Biography, really). And also how easy it is for you to abstract narration. In PoE the Adventurer's will all get a "sense" of a background (Culture & Background, in Character Creation). Do you make all your adventurers Slaves? That'll add a certain "tone" or "personality" to your Stronghold, and to your character (but also to the slaves themselves. So, they aren't empty husks, they add lots to the story indirectly). Or do you make them all Scholars? Or Raiders? Or Mercenaries? Etc.etc. (There's TONS of different backgrounds, after all).

Hm, I wonder if those Backgrounds gives perks at the Stronghold? (probably not but a Scholar in the Library, adding bonuses, doesn't seem too far-fetched? Or a Laborer adding bonuses to building/fixing broken parts at the Stronghold?)

Max party size is 6. There are 8 total companions and you can hire up to 8 additional adventurers.

what do you mean by "8 additional adventurers" max party size is 6?

Well, you can get a Stronghold, and if you have the Stronghold you can send your companions and adventurers there (15, in total+1 MC).

You can put up to 5 of those characters in your party (+1 Main Character = party size is 6), 10 stays at the Stronghold, if you want that many. You should theoretically be able to get 15 Adventurer's (custom made) if you don't want any of the Companions.

Or is it 8 companions/8 adventurer's+1 main character? (17 characters total)

Edited by Osvir

I didn't know you can have up to 8 adventurers in your... attache? I don't know what you would call it... I didn't realize they were in addition to all the companions. I never really thought about the maximum number of people you could have, though. That's cool that you can hire adventurers, then leave them at your stronghold to fight off stuff and handle things while you're away.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I don't know how they handled it, but it would be cool if they allowed the PC to set up lieutenants and create two or three groups. The PC could then hire out the groups, assuming his operation is mercenary, or search separately for information, if his main goal is spycraft, or even have one or more of his groups look for knowledge, making his primary goal scholarly. If some of these things were available, and with the proviso that these functions can be handled quickly and don't take away from the story or the RP aspect of the game, then there would be a tremendous incentive to include hirelings. This is especially true if they could also end up making you money in the long run. You front the money for hirelings, gear them up and set them out, then they earn you loot or find you information or even develop some commerce around your stronghold. I don't know much about the strongholds, not having read about them, but there is plenty of opportunity.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

am actual a bit conflicted.  is our desire to make no use o' the adventurer's hall to create additional joinable npcs.  we would prefer to play through the game with a single player character and 5 joinable npcs so that we might maximize our exploration o' dialogues and interactions with those companions obsidian has worked so hard to create. however, am 'sposing that we is relieved that the adventurer's hall exists.  we look at the companions, and with the pc we intend to play, we realize that we could very easily be short o' what we deem as necessary skills.  should we go ahead and make one extra joinable npc, one that we is certain can be stealthy and capable at overcoming mechanics challenges?  should we simple play the game and use available companions regardless o' whether our party balance is what we would normally be comfortable?  we don't want to use the adventurer's hall, but...

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I didn't know you can have up to 8 adventurers in your... attache? 

Entourage.

Company (as in Adventuring or Mercenary Company)

Gang

I'll probably recruit everyone possible to staff up the stronghold, but first time through I'll pick the most useful 5 companions (like Grom I feel class and skill sets will largely dictate this) to cart along with me unless one is Jaheira or Anomen level of aggravating. Or if the attributes don't mess well with the class.  Second time through (if its worth playing a second time, I'll take the useless companions to enjoy their stories, and pick up the slack with custom built adventurers.  Or maybe re-use a companion if their particular build and story is exceptional.  But probably custom made, just to have a decent gender make-up.  sigh.

Unfortunately with just 8 companions, I feel that most of the decisions on who to take as the Starting Five are already made for me. It somewhat depends based on how deeply/hard to find they are.  One I know I won't use in the class' current shape, and another I doubt.  

Ranger and mage, respectively.  For the others, I'll probably take the priest over the chanter, but it depends how important healing is.  The rest I definitely want.

Yeah, Jaheira always died valiantly trying demonstrate how she could take on the nearest bear without arms or armor. She was marginally less irritating in BG2.

Obsidian Plays

Yeah, Jaheira always died valiantly trying demonstrate how she could take on the nearest bear without arms or armor. She was marginally less irritating in BG2.

I found her much more irritating in BG2.  Starting from minute one in the cage, when she tries to take control of the situation from inside the cage.  And then got deeply offended by her 30 second grief cycle followed by a horrible stab at 'romance' mere days after her husband's grisly mutilation (if the PC is male, anyway).  

Then you have to deal with the curse from people she's offended in the past, and Harper shenanigans, where she happily betrays you, then changes her mind and betrays them, happily helping to slaughter them all.  Contemptible person.  

In BG1 she's just annoying, and the only decent early-game healing character that isn't in a locked area. [branwen is a decent healer, but grossly inferior combatant].  In BG2 she's actively offensive, demanding and childish, and has three viable replacements that can be reached without effort.

In my current playthrough I completely ignored her in BG1, and in BG2 was playing sloppily through the prison, and she ended up dying to the duergar.    Shockingly, no one else cared about Khalid when we came across his corpse.  

Edited by Voss

I didn't know you can have up to 8 adventurers in your... attache? I don't know what you would call it... I didn't realize they were in addition to all the companions. I never really thought about the maximum number of people you could have, though. That's cool that you can hire adventurers, then leave them at your stronghold to fight off stuff and handle things while you're away.

That was a bit at PAX East actually, if the Stronghold is attacked:

Manual (You go back to the Stronghold and deal with the attackers) or you Auto-Resolve (Your defense takes care of it). Or, at least that's how I understood it? Would be awesome to be able to do "Manual Defense" with a "Defense Squad", a party of adventurer's/companions you've prepared for the task. And the Main Character's squad/party would stay wherever they are in the world.

Can companions die permanently?

Can Adventurers die permanently? and if so can you hire a new one even if you had already hired 8?

Both companions and adventures can die permanently and in my understanding you can't hire more adventures after 8, even if you get hired ones killed.