What NEEDS to be fixed before launch?

Is there a mod coming which will turn them off ?

There already is one; though it needs to be adjusted for the most recent beta build.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Do people really have performance issues? I haven't felt a single issue with this game, and I don't imagine anyone with a pc less than 3 years old would. :S

My computer is much older than 3 years old but, like I said, when I can run Alien: Isolation on max settings and have it run flawlessly it is a bit disappointing and weird to have choppy framerate in a game like PoE. And PoE is a game that I think would really benefit from running well on computers that are a lot older as well as I would imagine many players who have grown tired of the AAA games (and thus haven't upgraded their computers in a long while) might be very interested in this.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I'm pause maniac! Hope that teleport bug wasnt releated to pause couse that would be immersion breaker to me.

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

The animal companion pretty much still dies like this:

tumblr_n7chioWkBF1r5zq6ao1_400.gif

I don't know what you do with your animal companion, but my lion (without the resilience passive) was off-taking perfectly fine on normal against Medreth and his Groups, all the beetles, all the spiders and did as good as anyone else against the Ogre (taking the bears out is not a problem). He's more durable than anyone in the party outside of the Fighter who is setup to tank.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

The Boar Companion in Medreth's group goes down after one Arcane Assault and Iconic Projection every time, which I think is like ~40-50 damage, if that.

My Lion has 111 Endurance (although for some reasons it top at 100 along with his health, I'm going to fill a bug for that).

edit: for comparison, my Ranger has 102 Endurance, BB Rogue has 108 and BB Wizard has 110.

Edited by morhilane

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

The racial/culture stat bonus being meaningless is one of the major mechanics that needs to be addressed.

It should be meaningless. Ideally, they should only have affected character and world interactions, maybe some distinct class neutral abilities.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

As for engagements/disengagements, there seems to be a fairly easy way to keep it and not have it cheesy/exploitable.

1) Engagement does not provoke attacks, unless you have a reach weapon. I.e. I move next to you the first time = No attack. Unless you've got a poleax or something.

2) Include a "grace zone" / 5ft rule. Minor movement should not provoke attacks. Adjusting your position should not provoke attacks. Withdrawing should be what provokes the attack. The logic could be as simple as "Are you within reach of your opponent? Are you moving by more than 5 ft in a duration that is less than your opponent's attack rate?" If you answered yes to both, you get the attack. If not, you don't get attacked.

Sensuki can probably review the above two rules, given he's the one that raged the most about engagement.

The racial/culture stat bonus being meaningless is one of the major mechanics that needs to be addressed.

It should be meaningless. Ideally, they should only have affected character and world interactions, maybe some distinct class neutral abilities.

It it's designed as meaningless, then it should be taken out entirely.

Edited by Headbomb

Seriously someone remind JE of the 5' step...just looking out for the people who actually like that mechanic...I'm not playing 1 second of PoE with it on.

GreyFox you should actually try the game as designed first. Don't just assume you're going to feel the same way about it as Sensuki does - many people don't.

Sensuki can probably review the above two rules, given he's the one that raged the most about engagement.

The best way to solve engagement is to simply keep the AI part but remove the attacks. Reach weapons with an engagement range would be bad IMO because it's large engagement range causes lots of problems.

Disengagement attacks used to only proc if you moved OUT of engagement range, but they changed it in v301, I think as they thought that they were not 'snappy' enough.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

It it's designed as meaningless, then it should be taken out entirely.

I understand and sympathize with your sentiments, however gone are the days that I want every rogue I roll to be the same tired halfling race just because the racial bonuses necessitate me to in order to maximize my play through. I'd prefer to mix and match my classes and races in order to change my experience on multiple passes of the game. I'm happy the racial bonuses are mostly arbitrary, but still add flavor.

• Like 1

Except they don't. Aumua are a mighty race? Meaningless, unless you're trying to make someone with 19/20 might.

If we're comparing to D&D, rogues can use CON (survivability).  Rogues can use INT (skills). Rogues can use STR (attack/damage, esp at low levels). Elven/Dwarven/Human/Halfing/Half-orcish rogues are all viable and all have their flavours, with racial bonuses that support those flavours.

Here however, the racial stat bonuses doesn't even come into play unless you're min/maxing like crazy, on a very specific build. Know what happens when I make a Human <class>? I remove the extra might, and then remove two extra resolve (one from Human, the other from Aedyr culture). Then I decide how I spend the extra 3 stat points. For 99% of builds, that's what racial/cultural stats bonus are. 3 more points to spend.

At this point you're better off giving everyone 3 more points to spend on stats, and make the racial bonus actually meaningful (i.e. skill bonuses, or something unique like Moon Godlike's healing auras).

Edited by Headbomb
  • Like 1

But the DnD racial bonuses also only come into play when you min/max...

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Seriously someone remind JE of the 5' step...just looking out for the people who actually like that mechanic...I'm not playing 1 second of PoE with it on.

GreyFox you should actually try the game as designed first. Don't just assume you're going to feel the same way about it as Sensuki does - many people don't.

I have 4 RL friends who backed the game 2 of which have the beta...so I've seen it(not 480) in person. One of which is my best friend and we've been gaming for 20 years together. I have a decent handle on the way I feel about it...but I understand what you're saying...we only had to play 1 Battle in 3E before we house rules out AoO...so...yea sometimes you just have to confirm your suspicions on what sucks.

To be fair the DM gives AoO for people doing REALLY stupid ****....simply moving in combat isn't one of them.

Except they don't. Aumua are a mighty race? Meaningless, unless you're trying to make someone with 19/20 might.

If we're comparing to D&D, rogues can use CON (survivability).  Rogues can use INT (skills). Rogues can use STR (attack/damage, esp at low levels). Elven/Dwarven/Human/Halfing/Half-orcish rogues are all viable and all have their flavours, with racial bonuses that support those flavours.

Here however, the racial stat bonuses doesn't even come into play unless you're min/maxing like crazy, on a very specific build. Know what happens when I make a Human <class>? I remove the extra might, and then remove two extra resolve (one from Human, the other from Aedyr culture). Then I decide how I spend the extra 3 stat points. For 99% of builds, that's what racial/cultural stats bonus are. 3 more points to spend.

At this point you're better off giving everyone 3 more points to spend on stats, and make the racial bonus actually meaningful (i.e. skill bonuses, or something unique like Moon Godlike's healing auras).

The game is built to be extremely min/max-y, so the modifiers to attributes being largely meaningless unless you min/max makes complete sense from a design perspective. Now, I'm not sure I agree with that ideal, but it does make sense.

t50aJUd.jpg

But the DnD racial bonuses also only come into play when you min/max...

Not really. Most classes benefit from most stats (save Charisma, which is the dump stat of choice for nearly every class). An intelligent fighter? Opens up the combat expertise tree of feats. Dwarven Wizard? +2 CON with +2 on spell saves? Adds a ton of survivability. Halfing Wizard? +2 DEX with size bonus is nice, especially if you'll be in the back. Makes for a good ranged touch-based wizard. Half-orc rogue? Say hi to increased damage and heavier armor.

Racial stats in D&D increases build variety, both if you point-buy (with a triangular progression) and if you roll. You can minmax certain situations sure, but you can do that in any system. Half orc fighters are viable. But so are dwarven, elven, halfing and human fighers. The racial bonus just play to different strengths, and can turn crappy rolls into something decent (or good one into great ones). Here the racial bonus play to literally nothing because a 14 CON Human is just as likely as a 14 CON Dwarf, given they cost the exact same thing to make.

We're talking BG DnD here. Plenty of dump stats. Min/maxing everywhere.

[slap Aloth]

I say your race shouldn't come with any bonuses, but instead they ought to give you access to "raical talents" which are secific to a given race, but can be 100% ignored by choosing a class, offensive, defensive, or utility talent instead.

Edited by Namutree
  • Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.