What NEEDS to be fixed before launch?

While stuff like performance and exploits are important, I believe to get positive reviews it's important to fix the more obvious stuff even if it doesn't have any lasting impact:

- Deer need to run away from the party. Reported long ago but still persists.

Honestly, given Sensuki's bar fight video, not running away seems like a survival trait.  

Between the pathfinding problems and disengagement attacks, once someone bases you the AI should immediately halt.

Or not use such borked systems...

• Like 1

Honestly the game feels pretty playable now. There are a lot of tiny things that need polishing and there are few big changes I'd like but that the game doesn't necessarily need before release.

THey probably should take out the no-clip just because it looks silly and pathing doesn't seem like enough of a problem to justify it.  For what it's worth I like the engagement system overall but yeah dogpiles make for bad publicity screenshots.

I'd ask the team to focus on fixing all the missing strings, optimizing speed and loading times, and just general polish. 

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

I think all the people making suggestions about how disengagement should punish you less are making a few incorrect assumptions regarding the existence of the disengagement mechanic.

Which are?

Woah, Eldoth is having a monologue. Trippy :)

Yeah, I know, it's less than ideal and confuses even me. :p

t50aJUd.jpg

Given that the game (understandably) really doesn't have much in the way of tuning down graphics, I'd say that squeezing more performance out of the game would be pretty good. And of course, that allows more people to play the game which is always good.

I guess Unity's gonna Unity but it's a bit strange that I get less FPS from the Skaen temple than I get from Alien: Isolation (extremely well optimized game that). The again, Wasteland 2 ran like crap for me as well and it also... well, *looked* like crap to boot.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

OH and it's not about being scared of being punished for moving in combat, it's the principle of the matter.

Combat(especially melee) is very fluid and you don't want to get pinned down(cornered) or stay stagnant...but yet in PoE...

I could see pikes/spears threatening an arc but performing a "free" attack on someone moving past you when you yourself have a person in front of you would leave you open for an attack from the person in front of you....so put in attacks of opportunity to hit people leaving themselves open while making a disengagement attack!   video that derp

Aren't there engagement limitations in place? (i.e. if you're already engaging target A, you don't get a free disengagement attack on target B moving past you?)

Hence things like the Fighter (Barbarian) talent that ups your engagement limit to 3?

Or is this an outdated understanding of the system?

Do people really have performance issues? I haven't felt a single issue with this game, and I don't imagine anyone with a pc less than 3 years old would. :S

I haven't had any either but keep in mind performance issues aren't necessarily due to older hardware. Sometimes the difference is something like AMD vs. Nvidia. PCs are hard to optimize for since there are so many different possible builds.

Anyone you engage you are able to get a hit on from what I understand...there doesn't appear to be a limit to the # of engagement attacks a person can receive from another enemy...IE if movement gets mucked up and or the pathing fails.

I could be wrong about that though...is there a cooldown on the engagement attack? Not sure about that one.

Could be a good idea to give a person a cooldown after he makes an engagement attack...but as of now I'm pretty sure 1 guy can simultaneously hit 2 people that he engages if they move out at the same time....it's a really muddy system /shrug.

Edited by GreyFox

Anyone you engage you are able to get a hit on from what I understand...there doesn't appear to be a limit to the # of engagement attacks a person can receive from another enemy...IE if movement gets mucked up and or the pathing fails.

Right....and for most characters and mobs, aren't you only engaging the target you are actively attacking? Otherwise, why the referenced talents that expand the number of targets you can engage?

Giving out disengagement hits and recieving them are entirely different issues. It makes sense that you would take 3 disengagement attacks if 3 mobs are actively attacking you, but that you'd only apply such an attack to the 1 of the 3 you are attacking...

Am I completely wrong about how the system is implemented?

Do people really have performance issues? I haven't felt a single issue with this game, and I don't imagine anyone with a pc less than 3 years old would. :S

I almost posted something similar, but today I saw the micro-stutters reported by Sensuki in the Crossing map while walking to the side to leave the area...and I've yet to see a game I can't play on ultra (beside Star Citizen).

They happened only once when my characters were moving toward the exit.

Saying that I think that endurance not regenerating is a much urgent bug to fix, my poor Priest stuck at 61 health (resting fix the issue but still).

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Engagement feels better than ever in this build (excluding the cheese that resulted from messing with character collision). With lower weapon damages and beefier characters, we may have hit the sweet spot. You only get engagement attacks on people you are engaged with. Its very different from aoo and that often gets left out of criticisms.

The ranger still feels fairly meh but all the other classes feel good. Thats a far better ratio than the IE games.

I do think that Con still dont seem right. I would switch to an integer bonus on con as opposed to percentage (or a mixed integer/percentage bonus). Theres zero reason to invest in it with low base hp character.

• Like 2

Right....and for most characters and mobs, aren't you only engaging the target you are actively attacking? Otherwise, why the referenced talents that expand the number of targets you can engage?

Giving out disengagement hits and recieving them are entirely different issues. It makes sense that you would take 3 disengagement attacks if 3 mobs are actively attacking you, but that you'd only apply such an attack to the 1 of the 3 you are attacking...

Na it doesn't matter whose attacking you...Sensuki did a video showing that it works.

It matters whose engaged with you like others have said...you can perform the engagement attack without having the character targeted.

One of the big problems is the range once you're involved in the mosh pit...for example you could move around a bit in D:OS without getting hit with an AoO performed on you...the "grace zone" in PoE isn't big enough.

Fix character collision. In this build characters can get closer to each other than even Bruce would approve of.

• Like 12

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Fix character collision. In this build characters can get closer to each other than even Bruce would approve of.

I haven't heard from Bruce in awhile.... I think once he learned how to exploit this he and his custom party of romantics are probably too preoccupied in the Dracogen Inn to visit the forums...

• Like 1

There is no grace zone. You just have to issue a move command and before you move a pixel you'll get instantly attacked.

Another example showing how well thought out this mechanic wasn't.

How the hell is that even possible that there is literally no wiggle room?

Even the 5' step in PnP doesn't trigger AoO....fail sauce man.

Edited by GreyFox
  • Like 3

The ranger still feels fairly meh but all the other classes feel good. Thats a far better ratio than the IE games.

+20 accuracy passive bonus if the ranger attack the same target as the pet is meh? +20% damage bonus for 30+ seconds is meh? The class saw quite a few of its abilities/talents revamped this build. Even the pets now got stats (well most of them, the wolf still has all 10s). The animal companion bonus just need to improve each levels (especially gain +3 accuracy each level) which doesn't seem to be the case right now.

My ranger is the highest damage dealer in my BB party and he is using a fine War bow. BB Rogue has more crits, but he's right after her in that stat...I bet if I made the ranger using an Orlan he would have more crits than she does though.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

The animal companion pretty much still dies like this:

tumblr_n7chioWkBF1r5zq6ao1_400.gif

My ranger is the highest damage dealer in my BB party and he is using a fine War bow. BB Rogue has more crits, but he's right after her in that stat...I bet if I made the ranger using an Orlan he would have more crits than she does though.

The damage values in the character record are EXTREMELY inaccurate. You should manually count damage in encounters instead.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

Na it doesn't matter whose attacking you...Sensuki did a video showing that it works.

It matters whose engaged with you like others have said...you can perform the engagement attack without having the character targeted.

One of the big problems is the range once you're involved in the mosh pit...for example you could move around a bit in D:OS without getting hit with an AoO performed on you...the "grace zone" in PoE isn't big enough.

Yeah, I understand that. I guess my question is, are there many mobs capable of engaging 2 or 3 targets, and thus are player characters shuffling around in the melee scrum getting hit with triple and quadruple disengagement attacks?

Edited by armorb

Yeah, I understand that. I guess my question is, are there many mobs capable of engaging 2 or 3 targets, and thus are player characters shuffling around in the melee scrum getting hit with triple and quadruple disengagement attacks?

Depends on the difficulty, really. If you're playing on easy, no. If you are playing on hard, you'll consistently be facing a lot more opponents and while most of those only engage 1 person at a time, there's a lot of them. The Engagement system completely locks down the battlefield and leaves it in a static, unmoving mess. It's about as dynamic as a fridge, with all the tactical depth of a toaster oven.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Yeah there are. I think Ogres and Trolls can. Wouldn't be surprised if Dragons could too. On Hard there's way more enemies (and on PotD even more), so in those instances moving can equal dying - which is NOT fun.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

Yeah there are. I think Ogres and Trolls can. Wouldn't be surprised if Dragons could too. On Hard there's way more enemies (and on PotD even more), so in those instances moving can equal dying - which is NOT fun.

Especially when it happens instantly and magically, without as much as a sound effect or flash. Bopp, bopp, damage taken, shown in the combat log, dead.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg