What NEEDS to be fixed before launch?

The last backer beta is out. It is looking pretty awesome, but still a diamond in the rough. As much as we all wish for everything to be 110% perfect, everything simply can't be fixed by release since it is only two weeks away. Here I would like to suggest that we discuss what we think NEEDS to be fixed before launch (bugs aside).

My pet peeve is armors speed reduction, which I feel should be reduced by 5-15% maybe even 20%. So people will actually want to put clothes or light armor on their backliners, as it is now with a jump of 20% speed reduction from wearing light armor I can understand why people go naked. Not that I am against nudity, I just think it is a shame the developers spend all that time making all those handsome armor sets.

If the argument is balance, and that a 20% reduction in speed is what is fair for a slight damage reduction, then being naked becomes the "norm". I would suggest wearing light armor should be the norm instead. It would all still be balanced.

What do you think need fixin' on threshold of awesome?!

• Like 2

The ridiculous clipping/disengagement exploit.

• Like 5

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Attributes.

I've got a laundry-list of serious issues by now, but in all honesty, aside from general polish and bug-fixing, I don't see them fixing any of them before release, or even starting to work on them. So I'll settle for the attributes.

Also, forget about the clipping/disengagement exploit being fixed. The Engagement system has been an issue since it's introduction and it's functionality is chiselled into nothing short of diamond, and the clipping was introduced because they couldn't fix pathing issues before release.

Either they break pathing again or they break the Engagement system. They'll do neither.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

The fact is, I really like the engagement/disengagement attack mechanic, but that exploit makes it look hilariously bad. When not exploited the feature is actually cool and force some interesting tactical decisions like you can see in this video around the 3:38 mark:

https://youtu.be/h5aMb7g3ZYo?t=3m38s

As you can see there, in a general melee situation they give a cool weight to the decisionmaking between staying or moving away, if used properly.

Edited by Uomoz

1669_planescape_torment-prev.png

That's not really a pro of engagement though, the same situation would exist without it. The only differences being a) you wouldn't get a free disengagement attack on the spiders at the start due to the dumb AI (which is now, mostly fixed ... but something about engagement was changed to make them easier to get) and b) you wouldn't suffer disengagement attacks from the spiders when moving back.

Taking away disengagement attacks from that scenario does absolutely nothing to change the tactics or decisions. Blocking the doorway is still as good of a tactic as it was before, as it protects your squishes and you will still have to retreat from the Freezing Pillar AoE.

• Like 3

Still, in the video you clearly explain why you would or wouldn't move in that situation and thus make it a "cool" decision. At least that was my impression :)

ON TOPIC: Is there any gamebreaking bugs? There are some exploits and what I'd call minor bugs but other then that the game is perfectly playable.

Edited by Uomoz

Performance and the new pathfinding problems are probably my two largest concerns. Need to do a full pathing test, maybe tomorrow.

The game has received some optimization but I have no FPS increase whatsoever.

• Like 2

The fact is, I really like the engagement/disengagement attack mechanic, but that exploit makes it look hilariously bad. When not exploited the feature is actually cool and force some interesting tactical decisions like you can see in this video around the 3:38 mark:

https://youtu.be/h5aMb7g3ZYo?t=3m38s

As you can see there, in a general melee situation they give a cool weight to the decisionmaking between staying or moving away, if used properly.

I maintain that the Engagement mechanic is interesting and a fundamentally good idea. However, there are few-to-zero redeeming qualities with it within PoE as implemented, and honestly, at this point, I question whether it's possible to save it at all. At this point, after so long, with so many glaring issues, I'm utterly flabbergasted at the fact that the mechanic hasn't been canned.

Now it's too late, but nothing has changed with the Engagement mechanics that wouldn't have been obvious issues 6 months ago or more. I don't think there's any excuse for hanging onto a mechanic so hard, when it works so bad. At this point, I really think that the Engagement mechanic is in the game on principle. Not because it adds something, not because it works well, not because it has some quality that'll suddenly magically fix it if you just tweak it just so. It's there on principle. Because Sawyer said so.

Blinds on, full steam ahead. See no evil, hear no evil, euroasia has always been at war with oceania and so on.

Performance and the new pathfinding problems are probably my two largest concerns. Need to do a full pathing test, maybe tomorrow.

The game has received some optimization but I have no FPS increase whatsoever.

But Sensuki, are you saying that turning the loading screens into a grainy mess didn't help your FPS? Surely you jest?

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 7

t50aJUd.jpg

I would change disengagement attacks so instead of dealing damage they apply prone effect. That way stuff trying to disengage will still get punished but won't suffer numerous insta-death hits. It would also make the mechanic more about controlling the battlefield which I think was the idea to begin with.

I would change disengagement attacks so instead of dealing damage they apply prone effect. That way stuff trying to disengage will still get punished but won't suffer numerous insta-death hits. It would also make the mechanic more about controlling the battlefield which I think was the idea to begin with.

CC is king. Making Disengagement Attacks cause Prone would make it even worse to even attempt to disengage, and almost certainly result in your death if you failed. At least now you can attempt to just away if you're willing to take the hit(s).

Also, Engagement never seem to have functioned when it came to controlling the battlefield. All it does is lock it down. There's not really any control to speak of, nor was there ever.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

CC is king. Making Disengagement Attacks cause Prone would make it even worse to even attempt to disengage, and almost certainly result in your death if you failed. At least now you can attempt to just away if you're willing to take the hit(s).

Also, Engagement never seem to have functioned when it came to controlling the battlefield. All it does is lock it down. There's not really any control to speak of, nor was there ever.

Wouldn't that depend on how long the effect is, what if we are talking 1 second and graze=miss? Also characters with multiple engagements possible wouldn't be that lethal to the secondary targets, they would only control them a bit.

In recent patches disengagement attacks never one-shotted my team (at least normal creatures), if used at more than 10% health. Its about player judgement deciding to disengage in time or fight it out in melee until the end.

While stuff like performance and exploits are important, I believe to get positive reviews it's important to fix the more obvious stuff even if it doesn't have any lasting impact:

- Deer need to run away from the party. Reported long ago but still persists.

- No sliding knocked down enemies.

- No endlessly looping battle music.

- As few *missing string* as possible.

• Like 5

While stuff like performance and exploits are important, I believe to get positive reviews it's important to fix the more obvious stuff even if it doesn't have any lasting impact:

- Deer need to run away from the party. Reported long ago but still persists.

- No sliding knocked down enemies.

- As few *missing string* as possible.

Yes, first of all the most obvious bugs like plot stoppers. German game testers from the major game magazines will have a special look towards bugs in PoE as Obsidian games had a lot of them in the past. This is absolutely necessary to get a very good review / rating. Most important for selling a large number of copies.

• Like 1

I think all the people making suggestions about how disengagement should punish you less are making a few incorrect assumptions regarding the existence of the disengagement mechanic.

Edited by Tartantyco

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Remove Engagement

Pathing

Voice/Sound Options

Performance

If every thread needs to include that disengagement attacks stink then so be it...I've never been in a fight where someone got a free hit on someone for moving around. Squaring up on someone does not flipping hold them down nor does it mean you can just hit em when they move around you(especially if you are attacking someone else), especially if they are faster than you.

The idea of halting someone for a round or so is fine but as implemented its bad.

OH and it's not about being scared of being punished for moving in combat, it's the principle of the matter.

Combat(especially melee) is very fluid and you don't want to get pinned down(cornered) or stay stagnant...but yet in PoE...

I could see pikes/spears threatening an arc but performing a "free" attack on someone moving past you when you yourself have a person in front of you would leave you open for an attack from the person in front of you....so put in attacks of opportunity to hit people leaving themselves open while making a disengagement attack!   video that derp

I believe such obvious bugs are alrdy fixed in the release build. I wouldnt worry about it.

Hopefully, still happened in v480 to me just yesterday.

There appears to be several bugs/features present in 480 thats been confirmed fixed, like area looting. Im guessing they put out the final beta build 480 to appease backers, even though it doesnt exactly mirror the current current state of the game.

Probably new stuff being polished and tested every day now, this close to release.

Edited by Striped_Wolf