Backer Beta Build 480 Portraits

...somewhat?  I'm a little uncomfortable with ethnicity=skin tone shift, but every other feature stays exactly the same.  It reminds me of some 19th century lantern slides I cataloged, where an artist had colored them in by hand, and the 'good' native americans in the pictures had lighter skin tones than the others. 

Plus the hooded girls, the elves, the monks and the aumaua ladies look a little lazy.

I don't see any problematic value judgments here that would make one be reminded of something like that.  It looks to me that more than just a skin tone shift was made as well, but they are subtle.

I don't get 'lazy'.  I mean we are talking about a simple way to make more portraits available to more different kinds of characters.  What is wrong with that?

• Like 2

Sure.  But they could have been 3 different hooded heads rather than 1 with 2 palette shifts.

Then people would be all like 'but I wanted THAT hooded head but Obsidian was too lazy to just palette shift it'

None of the palette shifts bother me either, because you're realistically not going to see them all together except during the character creation screen. If you're rolling up 6 female elves and can't find completely different portraits for each one you may be out of luck, but in any other case you should be fine.

I'll add my vote in towards more Aumaua, Orlan and Godlikes if there's time.

• Like 1

Also, is it just me, or is that pale elf just a little bit *too* pale?

Well, they're supposed to be "almost albino" so... 

Are there any specifically Savannah folk portraits? There's not much info on them and I'm trying to picture how they look.

Game needs more female elves portraits.

WHY? We already have plenty!

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Also, is it just me, or is that pale elf just a little bit *too* pale?

Well, they're supposed to be "almost albino" so... 

Are there any specifically Savannah folk portraits? There's not much info on them and I'm trying to picture how they look.

It's not an exact one for one thing but they supposed to be kinda Mesoamerican with some other stuff, maybe mestizo I think I remember? Or if you wanna have the basic general idea they are Hispanic I suppose but thats obviously a generalisation.

It's not an exact one for one thing but they supposed to be kinda Mesoamerican with some other stuff, maybe mestizo I think I remember? Or if you wanna have the basic general idea they are Hispanic I suppose but thats obviously a generalisation.

Actually I am pretty sure the average savannah folk is inspired by the mongolians and is supposed to be Asian. 

One thing I would like to know is why there's still an Aumaua portrait with a beard -

male_aumaua_c_lg.png

...but no beards for Aumaua character models.

I'm in favor of letting Aumaua have beards personally, as the solution.

That would be neat!

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Actually I am pretty sure the average savannah folk is inspired by the mongolians and is supposed to be Asian. 

From Sawyer: None of the human ethnic groups in PoE have clothing that maps to their equivalent on Earth. Aedyrans are essentially Anglo-Saxons and their outfits are Greek-inspired. Ixamitl are Mesoamerican and their outfits are Bulgarian- and Ethopian-inspired. Dyrwoodans have fantasy clothing that doesn't really map to any specific culture.

• Like 3

Hey guys, I wondered something.... I have an idea... Just for grins can someone attempt to load an animated gif file as the portrait in the BB? I'm not sure if it would work, but it would be pretty awesome if it did. I may create custom animated portraits for players once it comes out. I'd like to create some portraits with the toons blinking or winking and stuff eventually, but since I don't have access to the BB I'd thought I'd ask someone here if they have the smarts to try it out and report back :)

Hey guys, I wondered something.... I have an idea... Just for grins can someone attempt to load an animated gif file as the portrait in the BB? I'm not sure if it would work, but it would be pretty awesome if it did. I may create custom animated portraits for players once it comes out. I'd like to create some portraits with the toons blinking or winking and stuff eventually, but since I don't have access to the BB I'd thought I'd ask someone here if they have the smarts to try it out and report back :)

The odds of that working is non-existent, and also, .gif is a terrible format. You could try .apng, because a lot of places that supports .png just hammes to support .apng too, but yeah, I don't see any chance of that working either.

t50aJUd.jpg

I believe these are the new portraits in the 480, but I haven't played recently. Did I miss any?

Some very nice additions, especially the Orlans and the cowled women (I hope there is also some cowled men for the final game).

There are some hooded male portraits that aren't in the build yet as well as a few additional portrait archetypes that are not in the recent BB build. These will get in for the launch patch. There is also some clean up work that will be taking place on a select number of existing portraits.

I created a list a few months ago of the portraits we wanted to get done (it was huge) and Kaz and company have been burning the midnight oil to get as many done as possible for the launch. Anything that gets tabled will go in for the expansion. We'll also listen to feedback for what you all would like to see. My focus for post launch/expansion portraits will be more orlans, godlike, savanah-folk (especially female), dwarves and amaua. 

Instead of waiting for the expansion, might I suggest you release them with patches (at least those that aren't major NPC-specific)? Clearly this is above my paygrade as a backer, but this doesn't seem like something that'd be very expansion-specific, or cost much time to review internally when building patches. I know for a fact that getting new portraits would draw me back in to create new characters I couldn't do the first time around. Plus it's something shiny to go with the patch notes that a bit sexier than "Clipping in HELM2 worn by Orlan Chanters has been fixed."

• Like 3

I believe these are the new portraits in the 480, but I haven't played recently. Did I miss any?

Some very nice additions, especially the Orlans and the cowled women (I hope there is also some cowled men for the final game).

There are some hooded male portraits that aren't in the build yet as well as a few additional portrait archetypes that are not in the recent BB build. These will get in for the launch patch. There is also some clean up work that will be taking place on a select number of existing portraits.

I created a list a few months ago of the portraits we wanted to get done (it was huge) and Kaz and company have been burning the midnight oil to get as many done as possible for the launch. Anything that gets tabled will go in for the expansion. We'll also listen to feedback for what you all would like to see. My focus for post launch/expansion portraits will be more orlans, godlike, savanah-folk (especially female), dwarves and amaua. 

Instead of waiting for the expansion, might I suggest you release them with patches (at least those that aren't major NPC-specific)? Clearly this is above my paygrade as a backer, but this doesn't seem like something that'd be very expansion-specific, or cost much time to review internally when building patches. I know for a fact that getting new portraits would draw me back in to create new characters I couldn't do the first time around. Plus it's something shiny to go with the patch notes that a bit sexier than "Clipping in HELM2 worn by Orlan Chanters has been fixed."

It's possible, but doubtful (don't quote me). We may do a few in patches but that would be up to production. Once the game ships we will quickly need to move people on the team over to the expansion. Remember, we promised the expansion and many backers have already paid for it. Kaz is the only full time concept artist on the team right now and he will need to get busy on new scripted interactions, icons, bestiary entries, etc etc.

The list of portraits I originally created was always intended to have some for the expansion, that's why the list was so big. While we feel there are plenty of portraits we would like to (and need to) do, we feel really good in what the art team managed to accomplish for launch.To put it in perspective. Baldur's Gate (the original) had 32 portraits. Pillars of Eternity will ship with about 70, give or take.

• Like 7

Hopefully the game is successful and when the sequel is made, you are allowed a bigger budget for 2D artists :)

That's the goal. I've already spoke to many of the principal folks around here. I'd love to get more 2D artists on the team full time. If the game does well it will almost assuredly be a high priority.

• Like 12

Should be damned illegal to use a PoE portrait for a forum avatar. What happens when I go to use it for a character, but I can't because it just makes me think, oh, that's so-and-so. Damned illegal, I say. 

You have been waylaid by an evil forum avatar and must defend yourself!

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 6