Backer Beta Build 480 Portraits

those are pretty nice! I actually like that they even made black characters. It would be nice if there were a few mediterranean or indian cultures, but still this is nice. They need lady monk portraits though. 

There are only three revealed Human sub-races so far - Ocean, Meadow and Savannah.

those are pretty nice! I actually like that they even made black characters. It would be nice if there were a few mediterranean or indian cultures, but still this is nice. They need lady monk portraits though. 

...somewhat?  I'm a little uncomfortable with ethnicity=skin tone shift, but every other feature stays exactly the same.  It reminds me of some 19th century lantern slides I cataloged, where an artist had colored them in by hand, and the 'good' native americans in the pictures had lighter skin tones than the others. 

Plus the hooded girls, the elves, the monks and the aumaua ladies look a little lazy.

I like most of those portraits, there's a *little* bit of quality variance but for the most part pretty consistently well done.

I like the blue female aumaua, male dwarf, female helmeted and female wild orlan the best.

Least favourite is the Male Aumaua in the top right, the angle/facial bone structure seems mashed up somehow.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifNewportraits.jpg

I believe these are the new portraits in the 480, but I haven't played recently. Did I miss any?

Some very nice additions, especially the Orlans and the cowled women (I hope there is also some cowled men for the final game).

There are some hooded male portraits that aren't in the build yet as well as a few additional portrait archetypes that are not in the recent BB build. These will get in for the launch patch. There is also some clean up work that will be taking place on a select number of existing portraits.

I created a list a few months ago of the portraits we wanted to get done (it was huge) and Kaz and company have been burning the midnight oil to get as many done as possible for the launch. Anything that gets tabled will go in for the expansion. We'll also listen to feedback for what you all would like to see. My focus for post launch/expansion portraits will be more orlans, godlike, savanah-folk (especially female), dwarves and amaua. 

• Like 12

You're thinking too much in terms of real-life cultures. There are black characters because they're the Ocean folk... part of the game lore, not because Obsidian is trying to represent everyone.

I think the hooded girls would make nice female monk characters.

• Like 3

There are some hooded male portraits that aren't in the build yet as well as a few additional portrait archetypes that are not in the recent BB build. These will get in for the launch patch. There is also some clean up work that will be taking place on a select number of existing portraits.

I created a list a few months ago of the portraits we wanted to get done (it was huge) and Kaz and company have been burning the midnight oil to get as many done as possible for the launch. Anything that gets tabled will go in for the expansion. We'll also listen to feedback for what you all would like to see. My focus for post launch/expansion portraits will be more orlans, godlike, savanah-folk (especially female), dwarves and amaua. 

I'm glad to hear that. I really appreciate their hard work (and everyone else's in Obsidian).

Personally, I'd like to see more death godlike: the female I use as my avatar and the male with horns.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

...somewhat?  I'm a little uncomfortable with ethnicity=skin tone shift, but every other feature stays exactly the same.  It reminds me of some 19th century lantern slides I cataloged, where an artist had colored them in by hand, and the 'good' native americans in the pictures had lighter skin tones than the others. 

Plus the hooded girls, the elves, the monks and the aumaua ladies look a little lazy.

We requested hooded/helmed characters for people who might not've made characters that match the other portraits well.

Edited by Odd Hermit
  • Like 6

Most of those are freakishly good, although many of the "anonymous" portraits aren't actually very gender/race-neutral. While I don't mind that, it was sorta the stated goal... tongue.png

Also, no new Deathlike portraits. I guess that Sir Donghead it is. D:

Personally, I'd like to see more death godlike: the female I use as my avatar and the male with horns.

Personally, me too, but I must say that we really need some more godlike portraits in general. I feel sorry for everyone that wants to play a male nature godlike. Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 4

t50aJUd.jpg

To be fair, there are some differences. The hooded women definitely have different lips at least, and I think noses though it's hard to see?

jcod0.png

It's always bothered me too, but it's surprisingly common today to think that ethnicity is "just" skin colour, ignoring other (and often more obvious) aspects such as skull shape, nose, lips, eyes, etc.

t50aJUd.jpg

Ethnicity has nothing to do with those racial/racist attributes like skull shape, skin color etc. It is a socially defined term. Categorizing people according to a common ancestral, social, cultural or national experience, including religion, cuisine, ideology, dialect etc.

Which of the "old" ones were touched up?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

We requested hooded/helmed characters for people who might not've made characters that match the other portraits well.

Sure.  But they could have been 3 different hooded heads rather than 1 with 2 palette shifts.

Dat Redhead tho. 

These all look fantastic! In an ideal world we would have infinite portraits, but unfortunately we don't quite have art robots just yet.

I wonder how many portraits we aren't seeing that are reserved for in-game NPCs... in some ways I'd prefer if they let us use *all* available portraits, even ones used by NPCs, even if there was a little warning or something saying that it is used by a character in the game. 

Edited by Havelok
  • Like 1