Guidebook v1; in my hands right now!

Hey, thanks for the pics, iamgoukus. I think I should be getting this also. I'm not really sure. It was damned thoughtful of you to share it with the community, though.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

that is accually looks really nice added to my pledge hope It will be available 4-5 days before release so I can read  :geek:

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

iamgoukas: Thx for sharing, mate! :)

Brilliant stuff. I read every word of it, and reckon I can come to this conclusion already:

Josh has poured his soul into the lore and cultures and socio-historical contexts and conflicts.

What a fantastic effort!

Hats off to you, Mr Sawyer. Finally, a game with some academic diligence and depth.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 8

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

No hints in the book, all lore all the time. It's like a history book with extended footnotes on creatures, gods, locations, etc. Absolutely no spoilers as far as story and characters in present (game world) time.

Any new maps ? 

I won't be getting this; I'm pretty sure that all I'm getting is the game and the expansion later. Makes me sad. :(

You can buy it from Amazon or directly from Dark Horse Comics.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Let me ask you guys, is this the book called World Almanac on the pledge page of PoE?

No that is a different book.  The Kickstarter term/item for the Darkhorse Pillars of Eternity Guidebook Volume 1 is the 'Project Eternity Collector's Book'.

Drilling holes into skulls of living people who were perceived to be mad was a practice in the Middle ages.

As usual, I'm very satisfied with the lore's complexity and depth, and happy to recognize the touches of a fellow historian wink.png

During the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, trepanation was practiced as a cure for various ailments, including seizures and skull fractures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepanning#Pre-modern_Europe

A popular philosophy during this time, which had become the basic form of psychology was interactionistic dualism, where the body was believed to be governed by the soul (Brown & Menninger, 1940).

http://mentalillness.umwblogs.org/middle-ages/ Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 3

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

I'm still confused why it's volume 1, and what it is vs the strategy guide and almanac.

Josh has this to say in the Foreword:

We want you to feel that you are a part of this world, one of the many forces that can push and pull the Eastern Reach from its tumultuous present into its promising future. With that in mind, please take the contents of this book for what they are: snapshots of one corner of a world that is, like our own, ever in motion. We hope that you can help us illuminate the contents of many more volumes in the years to come. 

• Like 5

All Stop. On Screen.

L, you doofus!  lol  Also, thanks for the keen updates, Mr. ISO.  Good job!  :hak's thumbs up:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

This thread made me go straight to Amazon, and was happy to find I could order it in EU. Can't wait.

"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"