480 Discussion

Sensuki

Just FYI, from what I have seen in the code checkins, that disengagement issue with overlapping characters has been fixed.

How was it fixed though.

with beeswax, baling wire, belly button lint from a 101 year old sheik, and a bit o' magic.

maybe not.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Just FYI, from what I have seen in the code checkins, that disengagement issue with overlapping characters has been fixed.

Good.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Well I would like to know how they fixed it because I can think of a few different hacky ways of doing it. I'll be disappointed if they didn't consider what I said about the pathfinding code being good enough now that they don't even need the clipping.

I could understand if they clipped units with their old code, but this one works correctly.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

Hell yeah at the amount of new assets externalized in this build

incline.gif

Will need to discuss splitting them into smaller files in the future, but there's lots of new stuff we can change with mods now.

• Like 6

The term you want is RP. tongue.png

They're synonyms, sorta. The modern day gaming term for what Sensuki is describing IS Larping. In a video game, larping is when you do RPish things "just for fun" or "just to stay in character" when the game doesn't actually recognize that you're doing it.

A few examples. In Skyrim, you can choose to eat a meal 3 times a day, and get to sleep by 10 pm every night. Or find a Talos Shrine and make offerings to it. It means Nothing in the game, but...you're staying in character. Good for you! In Baldur's gate 1, you can decide that Joia's house (the house next to the Friendly Arm inn) belongs to you now. And so, you can choose to live in it, sleep in it, use its 2 chests to store stuff etc.

In Baldur's gate 2, you can decide to be a Priest of Ilmater. The game does not recognize this. There's no Ilmater cleric Stronghold option. There's no Cleric-specific Ilmater quests. But there are a couple of Ilmater temples, and you can decide that those will be the only temples you frequent, do business with, donate to, etc.

No. LARP is an acronym for Live Action Role Playing. The "Live Action" being an essential part of the term. You can't LARP unless you are physically acting out the actions of your character. It is impossible to do this in PoE. Everything you describe is just RPing.

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

No. LARP is an acronym for Live Action Role Playing. The "Live Action" being an essential part of the term. You can't LARP unless you are physically acting out the actions of your character. It is impossible to do this in PoE. Everything you describe is just RPing.

We all know what Larp stands for. But I didn't invent the meme. Linguistically accurate or not, it's used in cRPGs to describe scenarios like the ones I listed.
  • Like 2

I've found an issue with the Chanter and using invocations. I don't know if this is with all invocations, but with The Thunder Rolled like Waves on Black Seas, my chanter no longer continues chanting his phrases after the cast. It's only until I reposition him that he seems to pick it back up. Anyone else having a similar issue?

Question on weapon sets - I have a monk with weapon focus peasant - unarmed she has 45 accuracy showing for each hand - if I drop a fine dagger with +5 accuracy (not part of peasant focus) in her main hand she has 58 (nothing in off hand) - if I drop it into her off hand she gets 55 main (fist) and 58 off hand.

Any chance these are correct?? 

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I've found an issue with the Chanter and using invocations. I don't know if this is with all invocations, but with The Thunder Rolled like Waves on Black Seas, my chanter no longer continues chanting his phrases after the cast. It's only until I reposition him that he seems to pick it back up. Anyone else having a similar issue?

I haven't seen it with a chanter, but I've seen my ranged characters (ranger and BB Wizards) stop doing their auto attacks after using a class ability or spells. Moving them a bit "solve" it.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

We all know what Larp stands for. But I didn't invent the meme. Linguistically accurate or not, it's used in cRPGs to describe scenarios like the ones I listed.

I've been on the internet for a while and Sensuki is literally the only person I've seen use the term like this. And even if people are using it the way you describe it, it is wrong and should be corrected (like people who say "for all intensive purposes" or "I could care less").

Edited by illathid
  • Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

We do and it means Live Action Role Playing. Whatever other meaning was added to it, it is wrong.

Edited by archangel979

I've been on the internet for a while and Sensuki is literally the only person I've seen use the term like this. And even if people are using it the way you describe it, it is wrong and should be corrected (like people who say "for all intensive purposes" or "I could care less").

For a guy that has been in the internet for a while, you've managed to avoid a certain place that doesn't scale to your level, then.

We do and it means Live Action Role Playing. Whatever other meaning was added to it, it is wrong.

Why?

What's wrong with adopting a word (well, words) to another context because it fits with the behavior listed?

When someone roleplays a guard in Oblivion, he's not actually roleplaying, because the game doesn't support it or respond to it, he's pretending. Hence LARPing in computer role playing games. It's not rocket science.

No, he's roleplaying. LARPing is only differentiated from RPing in that it is Live Action. This is quite simple, when you're playing an RPG you don't say that you're roleplaying Baldur's Gate, you say that you're playing Baldur's Gate. If you're roleplaying a guard in Oblivion, you say that you're roleplaying a guard in Oblivion. Only if you're physically engaging in the activity that you're roleplaying does it ever count as LARPing.

Stop doing it wrong.

• Like 2

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

I haven't seen it with a chanter, but I've seen my ranged characters (ranger and BB Wizards) stop doing their auto attacks after using a class ability or spells. Moving them a bit "solve" it.

Heh, not much of a solution as it shouldn't happen... odd though that it's across the classes. Now that you mention it, I did also notice my barbarian go into a rage earlier and then stop attacking, but I didn't think much of it at the time.

For all intensive purposes, I could care less about the way LARP is used as a monogram.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

I feel like there is a game of chicken going on between Tartancyo and Luckmann. With Eldoth at stake.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I have already said a few things in the what needs to be fixed before launch thread but i forgot to point out that bows also should be made a viable choice be it hunting or war bows and that i hope the clipping stuff will be okay at launch

I asked that question before in the thread i mentioned above but to increase the chance of an answer i will ask here again can anyone tell me what bonus a flail grants ? is it still that lame ignore a portion of shield defense thing ? or has it been changed ?

Edited by Adventurer

For all intensive purposes, I could care less about the way LARP is used as a monogram.

intents and purposes ;)

wildstrike proc has been increased from 10% to 30%. greater wildstrike from 10% to 15%

- JE Sawyer's twitter.

This is odd. That means greater wildstrike is only half of an effective increase as the base wildstrike.

Just for sanity sake would prefer something like a +20% increase for wild and +25% for greater and keep the +45%  total the same. Psychologically sucks that the "greater" version is only have as good. 

Regardless, still don't see why anyone would pick up wildstrike unless they are RPing a melee druid. 

Edited by Bazy