480 Discussion

Sensuki

They don't lean on backer beta players to find bugs, but get feed back of features and gameplay, which are things that they probably will not change anymore at this point before release.

Trust me, it shows.  

Edited by Voss

If they focus on resolving the bugs found by this community the game will be highly polished upon release.

Obsidian has been very very very lucky to have the kind of dedicated backers they have testing the beta.

If i was a developer I would take advantage of it to the maximum

• Like 3

Can I ask Beta players with Windows or Mac version, how the hotkeying (Ctrl+something) is working in BBv480?

On linux I think, it's only possible to hotkey stuff to plain Ctrl or Shift or Alt - so still not useable at all.

Also the BB is a week or so behind (or even more?), I'm not even sure if a lot of this recent issues are still in the actual game.

So, what?  They sent out the beta build to have people check for bugs that don't exist anymore?  Sounds... useful.

That is the reality of things. BB doesn't even have area-loot, and that is in the final game so..

Edited by Uomoz

1669_planescape_torment-prev.png

They don't lean on backer beta players to find bugs, but get feed back of features and gameplay, which are things that they probably will not change anymore at this point before release.

Trust me, it shows.  

It's also very apparent that a lot of pseudo-bugs/suggestions are very biased towards the poster standards so must be filtered through the QA before even reaching the programmers. A lot of bugs would have probably been resolved with or without community feedback, while a lot of the gameplay stuff was modified thanks to the the feedback. That said, gameplay changes will be very minimal form this date on, henche this BB is not very useful for testing purposes.

EDIT: sorry double post.

Edited by Uomoz
  • Like 1

1669_planescape_torment-prev.png

Can I ask Beta players with Windows or Mac version, how the hotkeying (Ctrl+something) is working in BBv480?

On linux I think, it's only possible to hotkey stuff to plain Ctrl or Shift or Alt - so still not useable at all.

On windows you only need Ctrl if you're assigning numbered groups.  You can just press the hotkey while mousing over the ability to set it.  I only use Q and W, but it seems to work fine.

EDIT:  I can't hotkey anything to Shift/Alt/Ctrl+Hotkey, is that even intended?

Edited by roguelike

If they focus on resolving the bugs found by this community the game will be highly polished upon release.

Obsidian has been very very very lucky to have the kind of dedicated backers they have testing the beta.

am thinking you are a bit optimistic.  

we have access to a small portion o' the game.  we don't know as much as some folks believe we know.

at release, there will be many quest and dialogue bugs. many.  period.

at release there will be more than a few mechanical bugs.  those o' us who played the beta saw a fraction o' the total critters in the game.  fix player-side mechanics issues does not address all enemy mechanic problems.

more than a few technical issues will be location specific.  we have explored very few locations in the game.

most testing by players has been ' characters between levels 5-8.  there will be more than a few level specific oddities related to mechanics.  there will be talents and spells and weapons that only is broken when used together, and we has had fewer opportunities to test all such combinations as we soon will. 

am thinking it is a mistake to believe that based on dedicated feedback, poe will be "highly polished" on release.  that would be a nice result, but it would be a nice surprise.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we is saying such not to be a jerk.  quite the opposite.  Gromnir is anticipating the game with high hopes.  however, if folks genuine approach march 26 with expectations that poe will be highly polished, we cannot help but believe that many folks will be unreasonably disappointed.  we do not see justified cause for a belief that poe will be particularly polished.  am not even certain the poe will be more polished than past obsidian releases.  therefore, we won't rage and howl when poe is released and it is predictably buggy.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 12

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

am thinking you are a bit optimistic.  

we have access to a small portion o' the game.  we don't know as much as some folks believe we know.

at release, there will be many quest and dialogue bugs. many.  period.

at release there will be more than a few mechanical bugs.  those o' us who played the beta saw a fraction o' the total critters in the game.  fix player-side mechanics issues does not address all enemy mechanic problems.

more than a few technical issues will be location specific.  we have explored very few locations in the game.

most testing by players has been ' characters between levels 5-8.  there will be more than a few level specific oddities related to mechanics.  there will be talents and spells and weapons that only is broken when used together, and we has had fewer opportunities to test all such combinations as we soon will. 

am thinking it is a mistake to believe that based on dedicated feedback, poe will be "highly polished" on release.  that would be a nice result, but it would be a nice surprise.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we is saying such not to be a jerk.  quite the opposite.  Gromnir is anticipating the game with high hopes.  however, if folks genuine approach march 26 with expectations that poe will be highly polished, we cannot help but believe that many folks will be unreasonably disappointed.  we do not see justified cause for a belief that poe will be particularly polished.  am not even certain the poe will be more polished than past obsidian releases.  therefore, we won't rage and howl when poe is released and it is predictably buggy.

The game could use another push back honestly...but yea I'm biased against a lot of the stuff in it so...

am suspecting it is gonna require months o' post release feedback and developer effort before the game is polished.  am also certain that many issues will never be resolved to the satisfaction of everybody.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I bet there will be a bug free unity 5 converted GOTY edition later this year.

• Like 1

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

On windows you only need Ctrl if you're assigning numbered groups.  You can just press the hotkey while mousing over the ability to set it.  I only use Q and W, but it seems to work fine.

EDIT:  I can't hotkey anything to Shift/Alt/Ctrl+Hotkey, is that even intended?

Thanks a lot for clarifying. So I was just stupid:) (works the same in linux)

For the edit part, I don't know what is intended. In some games it works like this. However, I can bind alone Left/Right Shift, Ctrl and occasionally Alt as a hotkeys. Ctrl one shows "Ctrl+" 

I guess:

26 March + Day one patch:  Critical path without major bugs, some heavy bugs and a lot of light bugs on secondary stuff and many glitches all around.

3 Avril + patch 1.1:  Critical path without major bugs, a lot of light bugs on secondary stuff and a decent number of glitches all around.

1 May + patch 1.2:  Critical path without major bugs, some light bug on secondary stuff + new bugs introduced with patch and a a few number of glitches all around.

20 May + patch 1.3: Critical path without major bugs, some light bug and a few number of glitches all around.

5 June + patch 2.0: Critical path almost bug free, just few glitches all around + removal\radical change to engagement system 

10 July + patch 2.1: Almost all game without issues

Summer 4 perfect game Imho.

I don't remember any recent Rpg who did better  tho, so it's the average

Edited by Mazisky

I guess:

26 March + Day one patch:  Critical path without major bugs, some heavy bugs and a lot of light bugs on secondary stuff and many glitches all around.

3 Avril + patch 1.1:  Critical path without major bugs, a lot of light bugs on secondary stuff and a decent number of glitches all around.

1 May + patch 1.2:  Critical path without major bugs, some light bug on secondary stuff + new bugs introduced with patch and a a few number of glitches all around.

20 May + patch 1.3: Critical path without major bugs, some light bug and a few number of glitches all around.

5 June + patch 2.0: Critical path almost bug free, just few glitches all around + removal\radical change to engagement system 

10 July + patch 2.1: Almost all game without issues

Summer 4 perfect game Imho.

I don't remember any recent Rpg who did better  tho, so it's the average

You're expecting a freaking truckload of patches in short order. I sincerely doubt they'd keep an update rate like that, and there's no way the game will be "perfect" in ~1 year.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Oh come on Luckmann. They'll make a gazillion dollars in the first week and buy a few other studios to fix dem bugs in a jiffy. ;) Honestly thou, I guess most bugs will be fixed with the expansion release. 

• Like 1

Oh come on Luckmann. They'll make a gazillion dollars in the first week and buy a few other studios to fix dem bugs in a jiffy. ;) Honestly thou, I guess most bugs will be fixed with the expansion release. 

Well yeah, most systemic/mechanical ones, at least. And it'll probably introduce a plethora of new, exotic, and interesting bugs to be fixed, too. :p

t50aJUd.jpg

Party member aggroing on downed ranger pets is kind of weird. I had a very good demonstration just now, when everyone (but my ranger) turned around to go at the downed boar instead of of the Ranger that was right in their face.

update:

Ranger pets don't have all 10 in stats anymore. My lion has 5 Int, his AoE size is effectively reduced, lol.

Edited by morhilane

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I think so, but it's really annoying. I know if my character is being flanked if they are engaged by more than one enemy and I can see it on the tooltip. I don't need some green spew under my character's feet saying HOLY FK DUDE YOU ARE FLANKED - you can't really do anything about it anyway due to the engagement system.

Expert mode = removes helpers

But odds are that you don't actually want to remove all helpers. Until the current Engagement system has been fixed or removed, you really need those helpers to make any sense of combat. :| I'm with Sensuki, I don't even see why it's relevant to inform someone of something they cannot really do anything about, or why it needs to be so.. glaring.

There are multiple ways to do something about it when one's flanked, and I find that kind of visual feature actually useful, since that ui space is not used in any other way otherwise.

Aren't the flanked icon next to the character portrait and in the tooltips info enough already? (+ in active effects on character sheet)

Like this, you can argue to have visual features for all the debuff / buff effects. I wonder whether it's sustainable.

I think this one will be a bit less buggy than some folks think. OE has shown very good project management skills by limiting the timetable of adding in new features, etc. There will be bugs but I doubt there will be any showstoppers on the crit path and they seem to have save issues well in hand. They know they need to beat the Bugsidian rep.

I've only ever dipped into the BB, but 480 feels the best build yet (I skipped 435 and 39X). The music is excellent, enjoying the character voices: both really helps the feel/ambience of the game. Click noises feel very naturalistic too.

Combat seems nicely paced now. Beetles are the foes I've fought the most and I recall from early on that getting poisoned was pretty much game over for a character (for that fight at least). It's still a threat, but on that can be managed if you're smart about it. Will have to try the lions as I recall from 36X that they could be on top of you fairly quickly...

Also noticed that wizard currently seems to be the killer class while my PC cipher is not as effective any more -- it's hard/slow to accumulate focus and all too easy to spend it.

I've only ever dipped into the BB, but 480 feels the best build yet (I skipped 435 and 39X). The music is excellent, enjoying the character voices: both really helps the feel/ambience of the game. Click noises feel very naturalistic too.

Combat seems nicely paced now. Beetles are the foes I've fought the most and I recall from early on that getting poisoned was pretty much game over for a character (for that fight at least). It's still a threat, but on that can be managed if you're smart about it. Will have to try the lions as I recall from 36X that they could be on top of you fairly quickly...

Also noticed that wizard currently seems to be the killer class while my PC cipher is not as effective any more -- it's hard/slow to accumulate focus and all too easy to spend it.

Druid can remove poison and the spell also gives a lengthy resistance to it. Called Purge Toxins. It's nice 'cause poison goes through DR I believe, so being able to defend a tank against it mitigates a lot of damage from the spiders especially. Beetles aren't that bad now, or at least their poison isn't - the Adra beetle lightning is still crazy but preventable.