480 Discussion

Sensuki

First impression:  YEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!

The new portraits are freaking great!, and there is a metric ton of them now!  Some of the old ones even got design passes and now look pretty darn good!

Sounds are improved in my opinion, are the voices too loud?  Yes.  Do I really care?  No.  Also.... there are volume sliders!

Graphics all around improved.  Tons of enhanced textures on armor and gear.  Very well done Obsidian!!!

Can't wait for the 26th!  You guys are knocking it out of the park!

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 5

The general pathfinding is 'improved' but there are a lot of kinks with it, one of them appears to be no collision, which I'm not a fan of at all.

Hopefully it's not like this on release:

I *think* it's a bug because some path around him and the others walk straight through if the path is blocked.

Edited by Sensuki

My findings so far after a quick bit of playing:

- Battle music often persists even when battle ends. Stops only when you change location.

- Cyclopedia is flooded with *missing string*, for example Lore consists of only *missing string*.

- Greater Frenzy is a really weak upgrade to Frenzy. +2 Might and +2 Con on a timed combat ability? Not at the cost of a talent!

- "One Stands Alone"'s description still doesn't show what damage bonus you supposedly get.

Plenty of nice little additions too though! Too lazy to mention all. I liked that picked up ingredients now show up as a little icons for a few seconds now to show you what that stuff was you collected there.

First impression:  YEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!

The new portraits are freaking great!, and there is a metric ton of them now!  Some of the old ones even got design passes and now look pretty darn good!

Sounds are improved in my opinion, are the voices too loud?  Yes.  Do I really care?  No.

Graphics all around improved.  Tons of enhanced textures on armor and gear.  Very well done Obsidian!!!

Can't wait for the 26th!  You guys are knocking it out of the park!

Voices were too quiet for me before heh. I had to turn my system volume up.

OTOH everything else is too quiet now I've noticed, so you're probably more right than I am.

I still need more portraits to really fit my party, but I can get by w/out using IWD portraits now. Plus there'll be companions in the actual game so I won't be picking portraits for a full party of customized characters unless I want to get really power-gamey later on.

Edited by Odd Hermit
  • Like 1

The general pathfinding is 'improved' but there are a lot of kinks with it, one of them appears to be no collision, which I'm not a fan of at all.

I *think* it's a bug because some path around him and the others walk straight through if the path is blocked.

What of you only go with one character at a time? It looks as if it might perhaps be a compromise, allowing characters to clip through only if there is no other way of reaching destination without a longer way (blocked by teammates)?

Edited by Striped_Wolf

Is it my imagination or has enemy AI improved?

It's... different.  Seems like it will snap onto nearby targets a lot faster than it would before, but it also seems to stand around doing nothing sometimes.  Also you can now escape combat by casting withdraw on your last character and the AI will go back to it's starting position.

What of you only go with one character at a time? It looks as if it might perhaps be a compromise, allowing characters to clip through only if there is no other way of reaching destination without a longer way ?

It looks buggy to me, seems to be an error based on distance or something. Notice how if I click further away, it doesn't clip.

Have they fixed the Dex bug?

Yes, they have.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

This is as designed. Out of combat, if characters are blocked but need to get to a location they will clip. They should try to go around folks in a normal avoidance path, though. If they aren't, that is a bug.

I feel this is better than the traffic jams that could happen previously. Hopefully, there won't be many instances where individuals will clip and, if they do, it will be brief.

• Like 7

If you are going to have them clip, please sort the models accordingly - like having the character go behind not clip through the guard - like what is done with weapon attacks - where it's either behind, infront or next to.

Also I think the implementation is a bit buggy, because it's doing it based on distance, rather than if there is available pathing space. You could also limit the clipping to half the selection circle size, rather than full clipping, or something like that.

I'll submit a bug report about it later after I've done a comprehensive test on the subject.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 4

Quick question, you can only craft scrolls up to level 5 (Level 5 Scrolls), however my BB Wizard has 9 Lore and can use Level 9 Scrolls? Are level 9 Scrolls even in the game? So is there like a soft-cap to maxing Lore (like only leveling it to 5)?

Calibrating...

Is it my imagination or has enemy AI improved?

It's... different.  Seems like it will snap onto nearby targets a lot faster than it would before, but it also seems to stand around doing nothing sometimes.  Also you can now escape combat by casting withdraw on your last character and the AI will go back to it's starting position.

It seems to be more agro-aware. My priest was targeted for casting Divine Terror. Don't remember that happening before.

• Like 2

This is as designed. Out of combat, if characters are blocked but need to get to a location they will clip. They should try to go around folks in a normal avoidance path, though. If they aren't, that is a bug.

I feel this is better than the traffic jams that could happen previously. Hopefully, there won't be many instances where individuals will clip and, if they do, it will be brief.

Please, please, please, please leave this in.  This is the most amazing thing ever.  I want to fight all my fights like this:

xP5jRbh.jpg

• Like 3

Oh my god it's so easy to cheese disengagement attacks every fight now, hahahah.

edit: okay well the snappier engagement makes it easier, but enemy targeting has been improved - so it's slightly easier in some instances, but you'll probably get less of them.

Edited by Sensuki