Area looting confirmed

Personal opinion

1) The XP system  (Pretty good for me)
2) Per encounter wizard spells  (not a problem)
3) Crafting  (emprovement)
4) Lack of romances   (never cared about them)
5) Lack of a spell memorization system  (quite bad)
6) The Engagement mechanic  (confused about it)
7) Lack of rogue skills like pick pocketing  (bad)
8.) Lack of Pre-buffing (more challenging)
9) The inventory system (super bad)
10) The health and stamina system (really good)
11) The lack of healing spells (not a deal considering point 10)
12) The lack of invisibility spells (don't care)

• Like 1

XP - needs tweaking

Wizards don't have per encounter spells

Crafting - meh

Enchanting - I prefer BG2's way but being able to upgrade gear is fine

Romances - couldn't give a hoot, if you can't do one properly then don't bother

Memorization - Don't care

Engagement - horrible, one of the worst decisions regarding combat

Pick pocket - Don't care, you can do it through dialogue I think

Pre-buffing - Not a great idea to remove it, pre-buffs just needed balancing

Inventory - meh, but better than the first beta

Health/Stamina - really needs tuning

Healing spells - they're superbad at the moment, don't like Josh's philosophy about them

Invisibility - they will come, as Invis was implemented late

The biggest thing combat needs is counterspelling.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

XP - needs tweaking

Crafting - meh

Healing spells - they're superbad at the moment, don't like Josh's philosophy about them

Starting to regret pre-ordering...

I'm happy to have backed it, and as someone who started computer games with Wizardry 1 I really like the sound of these changes. I don't need to cast Cure Light Wounds a zillion tomes after battles, or do a battery of prebuffs.

Tedious and repetitive tasks were the worst part of the old IE games. Here's hoping that they keep the actual core elements without a fixation on nostalgia forms.

• Like 5

XP - needs tweaking

Crafting - meh

Starting to regret pre-ordering...

Keep in mind Sensuki is highly anticipatory of PoE and only has a critical review of lists like these because he is invested in the outcome of the game and does value it as a positive influence on his way to spend his day. Often times our worst critics are those who are closest to us.

EDIT: Also I read this as a positive post, illuminating the reasons why that list was just fluff through an expert's opinion. 

What I'm trying to say is don't regret a pre-order based on the negativity of a forum goer who has literally put hundreds of hours into the beta. He clearly likes the game.

Edited by pswendel
  • Like 1

Wasteland 2 style area looting would be the best, given it's the best of both worlds. You get the per-enemy information, and you don't have to go through a clickfest to inspect/collect a bunch of random crap.

This isn't bad, but this is by far not the biggest deal ever, as some in this thread make it to be.

Most of that was because of no take all button, which is a great improvement.

OH YOU DAMN TRAITOR. RPG CODEX SHOULD BAN YOU FOR BEING SUCH A DARNED CASUAL!

But seriously, why the hell is one improvement "great" and the other "the worst ever"... double standards much?A

Also I now dub this thread 'Game is improved, RPG gamers furious'...

Next up I will be going around asking people to give up electricity, sewer systems or flowing water, since damn, those conviences do such so much for the people who know how a true household should be!

*shrug* Oh this thread...

• Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

infinigold merchants

The merchants have infinite gold..?  :facepalm: Why are they making mistakes that both Icewind Dale and Fallout: New Vegas got right?

They had first limited gold for merchants but then people complained it and they changed it to infinite.

Yeah, as I stated in another thread... people go wacko over convinient looting... but similarly go wacko if another area (shopping) gets the same depth.

Cause apparently "clicking each corpse" = Super Gameplay, while having to visit different vendors is a boring useless neediwork addition that needs to be killed the moment it surfaces.

Do I understand you people? No... I don't.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

infinigold merchants

The merchants have infinite gold..?  :facepalm: Why are they making mistakes that both Icewind Dale and Fallout: New Vegas got right?

They had first limited gold for merchants but then people complained it and they changed it to infinite.

:banghead: omg...

Next time they should reserve the Backer Beta for only Sensuki.  ;)

Sensuki actually PRAISED this change, just check his thread history. He suggested it should be removed.

Sensuki obviously doesn't want the same PoE I want, or you, if you wanted limited gold vendors...

(Just so you know)

^

And to finish up my double-posting (now I went through this hilarious thread):

Here's Sensuki's post translated from post 1:

"I like apples. Apples are great. They added an option to eat apples faster, I really liked this. Then person B entered. He had 2 apples in a sack. 2! Insane. He wanted to eat both apples of that sack. Did I mention the RPG Codex finds this guy insane? I persuaded him after finishing 1 apples, to put the second back in his backpack. Then close the backpack. Then open the backpack. Then taking the sack out again. Then eating the second apple. Oddly, person B didn't think this improved his experience, and would have been much happier eating both apples without stuffing one back in the pack.

RPG CODEX VERDICT: Clinically insane."

And me sitting there eye-rolling...

^

Personal opinion

1) The XP system  (Pretty good for me)

2) Per encounter wizard spells  (not a problem)

3) Crafting  (emprovement)

4) Lack of romances   (never cared about them)

5) Lack of a spell memorization system  (quite bad)

6) The Engagement mechanic  (confused about it)

7) Lack of rogue skills like pick pocketing  (bad)

8.) Lack of Pre-buffing (more challenging)

9) The inventory system (super bad)

10) The health and stamina system (really good)

11) The lack of healing spells (not a deal considering point 10)

12) The lack of invisibility spells (don't care)

agreed.

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

Having read through most pages I had to get involved in the discussion somehow. As a disclaimer, I am 1/ not a backer (sorry) 2/ a huuuuge fan of the Baldur's Gate series, like really huge 3/ not very good at english 4/ impatient for PoE's release.

So yeah, I can't help but feel a little, I don't know, disturbed might be too strong of a word, let's say shocked (wait, no) by the attitude of some users regarding the implementation of certain features. I get that you don't support some of them, I'll even go as far as to say I agree with most of the complaints I've read here - I loved romances in BG2 and prebuffing is part of what made BG2's encounters so great IMO (I mean without that what would be the point of scouting ?) - but regardless of what promises were made at the beginning, I feel that a game such as this one should never be regarded as an order from one entity (the backers) to another (the developpers). Yes, PoE's funding campaign revolved mainly around the "IE successor" theme but you gotta let the developpers go with what they think is best. If they think that some aspects of the IE games are flawed or outdated then you should 1/ try to convince them otherwise 2/ if you can't succeed then let them take their shot at improving them. I don't wanna play a game made by creators who felt obligated to blindly follow every of their backers wishes, I'm pretty sure it would feel kind of soulless. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't like this "on demand" way of making a game, IMO all kickstarter should be about is "Ok, I like your vision, take my money and make the best of it" and not "I gave you my money so I feel entitled to a game that matches EXACTLY my every ideas". Forgive me is my message is out of place but to be honest I was really surprised by the nitpicking that is happening in this thread. Believe me I understand, I get where most of the complaints come from. Still, I had already heard about the pressure kickstarter's developpers were exposed to but I had no idea it was so... intense.

That being said Obsidian is partly to blame too, when you claim to create a BG successor you better make sure your game contains every feature BG had ! And boy, thank god Dragon Age wasn't born this way, the reactions would have been pretty harsh at the time.

Can't wait to play PoE. I tried to keep my expectations to a minimum, I just hope it will be a good experience, and a game I can occasionally come back to.

• Like 2

We're happy to have you, backer or not. You're not very good at English? huh? lol Your English is great. Sadly, while I don't like to play low expectations, Something that is surprisingly good will always have that little edge on something that simply meets your expectations, even when you had high expectations.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

And just to remind everyone "player feedback/information gathering" was what got us Dragon Age 2.

If that doesn't make you want to have developers steer clear of it, I don't know what will...

Welcome aboard Albatao, and hopefully you (and me) enjoy the game to it's fullest.

^

I haven't played the beta but I have to agree with Albatao. I see a lot of people really worried here but maybe there is no reason to ring the alarm. The real problem here is that the game is not out yet. Maybe to one particular backer this or that mechanic is flawed but that's one person's opinion. The only thing we can really do is wait for the game to be released and play it. If an overwhelming majority of players find infinite gold or the inventory system to be a failure, I'd like to think that Obisidian won't be passive to that, and like the teams behind Divinity Original Sin, Shadowrun Returns or Wasteland 2, they will fix, change and polish the game accordingly, but this time using the feedback of millions of players.

So cheer up, guys, enjoy the countdown and don't panic! :)

Edited by namelessthree