Area looting confirmed

https://www.change.org/p/pillars-of-eternity-make-looting-functions-optional-not-forced-area-wide
heres a petition for change!

Hopefully they will come to their senses and make it optional. Early game , this kind of mechanic will ruin future RPGers immersion, and possibly hurt the genre, since it is going in the direction of blizzard like mechanics. Very bad for lovers of old BG games, but good for those people who love making millions selling games that you can not fail at, no matter what age, and sophistication.

Edited by Azmodiuz

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

Are we seriously complaining about the way in which we're able to do something in a game?

Isn't that, well, pretty much what the entire forum is for? Discussing the way in which we're able to do something in a game, I mean.

Because if we're not... we're not really discussing the game, are we?

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

infinigold merchants

The merchants have infinite gold..?  :facepalm: Why are they making mistakes that both Icewind Dale and Fallout: New Vegas got right?

They had first limited gold for merchants but then people complained it and they changed it to infinite.

:banghead: omg...

Next time they should reserve the Backer Beta for only Sensuki.  ;)

I feel very strongly against the idea of area-wide looting. 

I think it will ruin immersion incredibly. Especially for future generations of such a genre if it catches on. It really frightens me. It would spell mediocrity for the RPG genre. Some are already gravitating towards such mechanics too. It makes each encounter that less noteworthy, and much more generic, and all about the numbers rather then the RP.

Remember how we used to steal off that merchant in Amn, to get that ring of regen...   This comes from a time we cared about gear, to the point even a small thing was noteworthy.
We REALLY spent time enjoying looting through every bit of loot we got from everyone, and more so - we were excited when it was from a boss or something noteworthy.

Throwing it all together in a lootall -area wide is just plain stupid and detracts from everything the game is supposed to stand for. Its an insult to the genre, and the old-school isometric games we all love. I do not support the mechanic at all, unless it is optional. In which case, that is revolutionary then.

OH, and about infinite gold on merchants... I don't agree with it. I think they should all be different, it would encourage crafting, and moving around, and it would increase golds value too. Too bad it was removed.

Edited by Azmodiuz
  • Like 2

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

Especially for future generations of such a genre if it catches on. It really frightens me. It would spell mediocrity for the RPG genre.

I speak to as a indie dev: you're getting way too worked up over a video game.

• Like 3

Are we seriously complaining about the way in which we're able to do something in a game?

Isn't that, well, pretty much what the entire forum is for? Discussing the way in which we're able to do something in a game, I mean.

Because if we're not... we're not really discussing the game, are we?

No, actually I thought the forums' point is just so there is a place where I can come and declare how much I love the game. Because that's what everyone is very interested in seeing.

• Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Just to give this discussion a bit of perspective, as anyone who played CRPGs prior to Baldur's Gate already knows, many of the 80s and 90s games had a loot screen that popped up after combat which either gave a summary of valuable loot (a la Pool of Radiance) or a list of all the available loot from the bodies of the defeated (a la Darklands).  Now it can be argued that this was a function of limited technology or just the logical extension of pen and paper gaming, where loot is always consolidated.  Either way, I don't think any developer would think that making the looting of bodies individually would be a giant step forward in gameplay.  In other words, as long as the looting isn't automatic, we're back to an issue of individual preference.

Personally, I prefer a consolidated loot screen because of my old school, pen and paper background.  It seems more natural and I like the idea of having a sense of scale; especially after a big battle.  The other way, as it was in the IE games, is no big deal, just a bit cumbersome at times.

Edited by curryinahurry
  • Like 7

I feel very strongly against the idea of area-wide looting. 

I think it will ruin immersion incredibly. Especially for future generations of such a genre if it catches on. It really frightens me. It would spell mediocrity for the RPG genre. Some are already gravitating towards such mechanics too. It makes each encounter that less noteworthy, and much more generic, and all about the numbers rather then the RP.

Remember how we used to steal off that merchant in Amn, to get that ring of regen...   This comes from a time we cared about gear, to the point even a small thing was noteworthy.

We REALLY spent time enjoying looting through every bit of loot we got from everyone, and more so - we were excited when it was from a boss or something noteworthy.

Throwing it all together in a lootall -area wide is just plain stupid and detracts from everything the game is supposed to stand for. Its an insult to the genre, and the old-school isometric games we all love. I do not support the mechanic at all, unless it is optional. In which case, that is revolutionary then.

OH, and about infinite gold on merchants... I don't agree with it. I think they should all be different, it would encourage crafting, and moving around, and it would increase golds value too. Too bad it was removed.

I think you are overreacting. You make it seem as if aoe loot is the end of all things and destroys immersion but if you play a pnp game you could after an encounter say "We search the bodies of the fallen enemies" and the game master would tell you what you've found. Is that any different from aoe loot? Again I'm all for a toggle but this "issue" isn't as huge as you make it out to be. It would be awesome if they implement a toggle after release because now releasing a game with as few bugs as possible is more important (=aoe loot is not a serious issue). 

• Like 2

infinigold merchants

The merchants have infinite gold..?  :facepalm: Why are they making mistakes that both Icewind Dale and Fallout: New Vegas got right?

They had first limited gold for merchants but then people complained it and they changed it to infinite.

I much prefer infinate gold to spending hours running from merchent to merchent and by the end of the game not being able to sell anything because the merchents are all broke or the item is worth more then the merchents gold limit.

I much prefer infinate gold to spending hours running from merchent to merchent and by the end of the game not being able to sell anything because the merchents are all broke or the item is worth more then the merchents gold limit.

Things like carry limits and limited gold are there so that you don't run around selling every piece of junk you can pick up. Games with good economies, like Fallout: New Vegas, have merchants get restocked every few days so you never get to a point where they're all broke. PoE seems to be designed so that it's expected that you'll strip mine every trash mob and obsessively pawn it all off at the next opportunity. That's great and convenient for the five people who played the IE games like that. I guess those are the same five people that murdered quest givers for XP  :rolleyes:

Hopefully Bester and friends will be able to come up with things like this http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/17140/? post release.

Edited by SunBroSolaire
  • Like 1

Stash(aka infinite inventory)+area loot results in exactly this: Open loot container -> Click the "Send all to stash" button, without even looking at the stuff, because hey, limitless inventory! -> go to the merchant -> Cash in the junk. No hassle involved. All thanks to advanced mechanics designed to remove "troublesome" aspects of playing. Like challenge. Or any obstacle to getting so rich that money is not a factor in the game any more.

Personally, this makes me feel treated like a retard or a 3-year old: "Look at all the shiny things! Collect them and you get gold!"

Merchants with limited gold would have been nice to see but I can understand they aren't there because they weren't there in the IE games. But you know what also wasn't in those games - limitless inventory and area loot weren't.

Removing challenge is in effect removing fun from a game. Of course there are players who want no challenge or next to no challenge, but I think they aren't this game's target audience. Please Obsidian, take a moment and consider your motivation for changes like that...

My personal preference is grid or Strength based inventory. But working within the system we have, Im going to loot everything and I appreciate a convenient way to collect and (potentially) sell it. I myself don't feel a gain from individual looting or difficulty in selling, but I understand opinions vary.

• Like 1

A petition? Are you ****ing kidding me?

I like old-school RPGs as much as the next guy, but this level of idiocy is just baffling. This isn't removing challenge or dumbing down anything, this is adding a level of convenience that's just common sense.

Tediousness isn't challenge. It detracts more from the game than most "dumbing down".

Sorry for the rant, but that thread made me facepalm one too many times.

• Like 4

Stash(aka infinite inventory)+area loot results in exactly this: Open loot container -> Click the "Send all to stash" button, without even looking at the stuff, because hey, limitless inventory! -> go to the merchant -> Cash in the junk. No hassle involved. All thanks to advanced mechanics designed to remove "troublesome" aspects of playing. Like challenge. Or any obstacle to getting so rich that money is not a factor in the game any more.

Personally, this makes me feel treated like a retard or a 3-year old: "Look at all the shiny things! Collect them and you get gold!"

Merchants with limited gold would have been nice to see but I can understand they aren't there because they weren't there in the IE games. But you know what also wasn't in those games - limitless inventory and area loot weren't.

Removing challenge is in effect removing fun from a game. Of course there are players who want no challenge or next to no challenge, but I think they aren't this game's target audience. Please Obsidian, take a moment and consider your motivation for changes like that...

My personal preference is grid or Strength based inventory. But working within the system we have, Im going to loot everything and I appreciate a convenient way to collect and (potentially) sell it. I myself don't feel a gain from individual looting or difficulty in selling, but I understand opinions vary.

Strength based inventory is what I would prefer as well, but then we would need weight allowance on per-character basis. Currently there is no weight allowance whatsoever. It's a really dumbed down - I'll say it again - system. I guess someone thought managing inventories and deciding what to take and what to leave was not fun and inventory should be just a formality - you can own any item and have it in perpetual storage, accessible one-way everywhere and two-way in civilized areas. Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 1

eFoHp9V.png

You know nobody's forcing you to pick everything up, right? The only thing the PoE loot system does is remove the need for back-and-forths and inventory juggling. There is nothing less "dumb" about the IE inventory system, all it does is add tedium. At no point during any of the IE games did you ever have to make any decisions about equipment other than "should I take the scrap, or leave it?"

People keep pretending that the IE equipment system was so complex and layered, but that's just bull****.

• Like 4

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

The resting system has people going back and forth or at the very least the same people who would do the back and forths because of loot will do it with resting since it uses supplies.

By your logic there shouldn't be resting supplies since it doesn't eliminate back and forths....

Hell the back and forth you'd do with resting would work just fine with a weighted loot system.

If you're going to throw the word "logic" around, you should at least try to make sense. Nobody's talking about eliminating back-and-forths, I'm talking about not keeping a system that only adds back-and-forths and inventory juggling. 

• Like 1

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Things like carry limits and limited gold are there so that you don't run around selling every piece of junk you can pick up. Games with good economies, like Fallout: New Vegas, have merchants get restocked every few days so you never get to a point where they're all broke. PoE seems to be designed so that it's expected that you'll strip mine every trash mob and obsessively pawn it all off at the next opportunity. That's great and convenient for the five people who played the IE games like that. I guess those are the same five people that murdered quest givers for XP  :rolleyes:

Hopefully Bester and friends will be able to come up with things like this http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/17140/? post release.

I... don't know that New Vegas is really a great example of a solid, realistic, and/or unbreakable economy. I love the game to death, but it's pretty trivial to get enough caps to fill the Lucky 38.

• Like 2
jcod0.png

You know nobody's forcing you to pick everything up, right? The only thing the PoE loot system does is remove the need for back-and-forths and inventory juggling. There is nothing less "dumb" about the IE inventory system, all it does is add tedium. At no point during any of the IE games did you ever have to make any decisions about equipment other than "should I take the scrap, or leave it?"

People keep pretending that the IE equipment system was so complex and layered, but that's just bull****.

How would you like a function where you right-click on an item in your inventory and it is converted into cp and added to your party cp?

eFoHp9V.png

How would you like a function where you right-click on an item in your inventory and it is converted into cp and added to your party cp?

Now, you're just changing the subject.

I just checked and you're right Gairnulf, it's possible to loot stuff directly to the stash even if this one is disabled. But you can't put things in it out of the loot window. Isn't this a bug ? That doesn't seem right :/

• Like 1

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?