Area looting confirmed

Sounds to me like what WL2 did.

How will the "take all" button function - will it take all from only the currently selected corpse (of the 3m radius group), or will it automatically take all from all corpses in the group, or will there be two different "take all" buttons?

More worried about mandatory glow/markers, tbh.

This statement is false.

Sensuki, others: If it works like it did it did in Wasteland 2:

pT6iVYz.png

then you don't need any option to disable it. Just loot one corpse at a time, ignoring the tabs.

• Like 2

Fnord.

Change for the better, but I think they didn't go far enough - should we really have trash loot that's nothing else but extra money for selling everything? I'd like loot from enemies matter more, but it'd require making completely different system.

Going through all the features that Obisdian has introduced into PoE, or that were present in the IE games and have been removed, I can hardly name any improvements:

1. Engagement - I agreed with it being buggy and hoped it would be fixed. Exploits are still possible.
  2. All-Party stealth
  3. No projectiles for ranged weapons - also, I am one of the people who ask "Why is firearms' damage based on Might?" Please, come tell me to "STFU". Thanks for the balance there.
  4. No ability to drop items or leave them inside a container in the world once you've taken them.
  5. The stash - welcome to your limitless inventory. Such fun.
  6. Characters running by default, no way to switch to walking - actually PS:T had this too. I don't think it was an improvement there either, but that's just me.
  7. HUD interface, combat log - a mess, no configuration possible through options
  8. Sounds sliders...
  9. Pickpocketing - cut
  10. Now this - clicking a container to loot its contents is too much common sense, let's unite the containers which are close by.

None of these is the end of the world, but taken together they make me think Obsidian should have stuck to replicating the IE games more, and spent less time and efforts in trying to improve them.

New things I can think of, that I think are positive, and even very positive:

1. Scripted interactions
  2. The in-dialogue descriptions of characters' expressions and body language
  3. The long/short-term health
  4. ... help me out here. If there is anything else, I'm having a hard time trying to remember it.
  • Like 3

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

^3m radius - so not the whole map, just the bodies in a pile around you.

I recall that in BG2, if I were in the inventory window and my character was stood on top of 2 corpses, I'd be able to loot both from the ground tab - so this isn't actually that big of a deal to me.  It just widens it from 'corpses are on top of each other' to 'corpses fell near each other'.

I personally think it wasn't an important thing to implement, but thinking about it, it's not something that'll detract from my gaming experience (if the loot area were wider, it'd bother me)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

A voice volume slider has added. So that list item can be counted off.

Improvement: Goes to nerds' houses, kicks over their sandcastles.

Nerds have the right to form and voice their opinions just like newfags.

Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Were there scrolls?  If no,

Oh, another aspect lost in transition, by the way. I liked to see what was in the loot bag more or less before looting. Icons for scrolls, weapons and armor - all of that gone and replaced with 1 generic loot bag.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Playing games is troublesome now.

I have a Josh-style fix. Why don't we improve area looting with auto-looting, and then whenever you find items that are superior to your equipment, they are automatically equipped, and inferior items are automatically converted into gold. That'd solve a lot of the looting problems. Also, let's make looting not require clicking even once, it's done automatically by the game after the fight is finished. And fights should be resolved automatically, at least make an option for that for god's sake, cause all the clicking, ugh...

Edited by Bester
  • Like 6
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Playing games is troublesome now.

I have a Josh-style fix. Why don't we improve area looting with auto-looting, and then whenever you find items that are superior to your equipment, they are automatically equipped, and inferior items are automatically converted into gold. That'd solve a lot of the looting problems. Also, let's make looting not require clicking even once, it's done automatically by the game after the fight is finished. And fights should be resolved automatically, at least make an option for that for god's sake, cause all the clicking, ugh...

You are joking, but I really wouldn't be surprised. With infinite inventory and infinigold merchants, there is really nothing stopping them from reaching the logical conclusion of simply handing out gold instead of loot in 90% of all cases.

And if all they're handing out is gold, you have to ask yourself why it doesn't do that automatically anyway, right?

We've seen a lot of games evolve into this, where you simply kill enemies and *ping* you get +$$$, instead of having to pick it up.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Gotta say I agree with Sensuki, Bester, Luckmann and the others. This is another pointless feature developed at the expense of something IE games did right and PoE is not doing at all...

• Like 5

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

It is quite interesting to see the divide between people who a really enamored with the old-style roleplaying game that they can't fathom any change to be good. It is a shame that it isn't optional, but to herald the advent of area-loot as the antichrist is somewhat ridiculous, and extreme. I've recently played through Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and in the progress of playing through IWD, and none of you can convince me you actually like that type of looting, and if you do, I will assume you've only bothered with looting specific enemies and never the trash mobs. 

The system is outdated, hasn't aged well, nor badly, but it needed refinements. I am pretty sure Pillars of Eternity will still have the nonsensical encounter balance that the old IE games have, at times. *

That said, I am all for optional mechanics.

• Like 9

I love the area loot feature in the BG EEs', so I'm sure I will appreciate it in PoE as well. Looting each corpse individually is fine, of course, but tedious is tedious. In this way, we get rid of a mechanism that didn't add any RPG-value (except for realism, I suppose?). I'm not at all nostalgic about it being gone. Sorry.

• Like 9

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The fact that people are actually complaining about this feature... I can't take you people seriously.

(BTW, BG2 has area loot)

• Like 8

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

BG2 does not have area loot. BG2 Encumbered Edition does, though.

You ever kill a lot of enemies in one spot(Or very close to each other) and find that their drops got combined? Welcome to area loot land. PoE area loot is exactly the same, just with a slightly larger radius. Because having to pixel hunt every time you killed enemies slightly outside the radius in BG is stupid.

• Like 7

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]