Area looting confirmed

If the game automatically puts items in my inventory, then frack no!

What is this ****?

"when you click on a corpse, it groups that corpse with all others within 3m. that's the only way corpse looting works now."

so I guess its not an autoloot function. I can still choose individual items to pick up

Edited by Grotesque

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

You can distribute from the stash? I thought that was only available at campsites and the stronghold or somesuch.

Works from anywhere for me.

Edit: There's a menu option to allow stash access from anywhere.

Edited by Flow
  • Like 1

Why can't you make it optional?

I don't mind area looting when fighting trash mobs, but when fighting a special party i like to know which items each victim had. Like those dudes in the Temple District sewers, oh wait... No one here besides codex people played BG2 right? nvm that.

• Like 3

This handwaving away of mechanics is really beginning to bother me, where does it end, and was clicking on a corpse really so egregious? I'm currently playing Fallout and i'm not at all upset or bothered by clicking on a fallen opponent, in fact there's a little thrill when I see what he was carrying or if I need any of the items.

I like the little things that speak of verismilitude, and I really object to shortcuts that make absolutely no sense, such as teleporting loot and invisible backpacks. We're losing so much of the little details in worlds and design for the sake of convenience. I want to play the game, not have it automate everything for me, I am in no way, shape or form incapable and I adore little details in games.

• Like 10

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

You can distribute from the stash? I thought that was only available at campsites and the stronghold or somesuch.

"stash accessible anywhere" is now a toggle in the gameplay options menu. (probably one of the best inventory improvements they've made, next to adding the second row in the main inventory IMO)
  • Like 1

but when fighting a special party i like to know which items each victim had.

Same. If for no reason but to be armed with meta-knowledge for my next playthrough.

But this is merely a hurdle, not a real problem. I'll just develop my L33t killing skills. Named enemies will die precisely more than 3m apart from each other.

• Like 2

That's almost the same level of annoying as being unable to drop items or the full party stealth. Please make it optional, especially after it has been working right for so long. Is it really that hard to add one more toggle in the options?

I'm adding this to the "Features I'm Sure I Did Not Back" list. :/

Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

"stash accessible anywhere" should be disabled  on higher difficulty modes.

You can change the difficulty mode midgame?

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

the trolls are fat in this thread

• Like 2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Why? none of the IE games had this. Has anybody ever complained about looting individual bodies?

Yes.  On day 1 of BG release back in 1998.  Clicking on 20 separate piles of gibberling trash loot was too troublesome to even bother.  Were there scrolls?  If no, then picking up a random assortment of crap gold and gems wasn't even worth the effort. 

• Like 2

Why? none of the IE games had this. Has anybody ever complained about looting individual bodies?

Yes.  On day 1 of BG release back in 1998.  Clicking on 20 separate piles of gibberling trash loot was too troublesome to even bother.  Were there scrolls?  If no, then picking up a random assortment of crap gold and gems wasn't even worth the effort.

Sorry, I don't understand this "It's too troublesome" to play the game thinking. You click on the loot and your guy walks up to it and a stash window opens, what is troublesome about this?

Sorry, I don't understand this "It's too troublesome" to play the game thinking. You click on the loot and your guy walks up to it and a stash window opens, what is troublesome about this?

Well, good.  Because no one said anything about 'too troublesome to play the game.'  Just that 40+ mouseclicks* to pick up the equivalent of trash wasn't worth the effort. Picking up one magic weapon would net you far more gold, and the games were frankly swimming in magic crap you could sell to idiots.

*Minimum 40, unless you've got a fair amount of gems, and little or no inventory space on the character picking them up.

Edited by Voss
  • Like 2

Such a heated discussion over such a little thing! People speaking of verisimilitude and immersion should be happy, because area looting makes much more sense in my opinion.

After a furious battle, with fireballs, dismembered enemies and imploded bodies, personal belongings (like gems, money, pendants etc) aren't going to stick to the original possessors as if they were mannequins in a boutique that you can individually loot! :lol:

It's much more likely that after a battle all the items are scattered and mixed up, so you have to pick them up from an area, without knowing who were the original holders.

If it's optional, better. If it's not, no big deal honestly!

PS: I played BG too, but this feature is not ruining the "spiritual successor" idea...! :shifty:

• Like 6

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

This handwaving away of mechanics is really beginning to bother me, where does it end, and was clicking on a corpse really so egregious? I'm currently playing Fallout and i'm not at all upset or bothered by clicking on a fallen opponent, in fact there's a little thrill when I see what he was carrying or if I need any of the items.

I like the little things that speak of verismilitude, and I really object to shortcuts that make absolutely no sense, such as teleporting loot and invisible backpacks. We're losing so much of the little details in worlds and design for the sake of convenience. I want to play the game, not have it automate everything for me, I am in no way, shape or form incapable and I adore little details in games.

Thing is, you won't be passing on any loot in PoE, because you can carry an infinite amount of loot. Since you will never be passing on any loot whatsoever, there is no need to go through individual opponent's loot.

Yes, this means that they might as well cut out 90% of the loot in the game and instead just give you the gold value straight away, and they'll probably end up doing that in a sequel or something. We wouldn't want "inventory management" and "shopping" to get in the way of "gameplay".

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg