Area looting confirmed

Seconded, really degenerate feature that I dislike intensely.

• Like 7

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I think area looting is good, at least as an option. I'd use it.

The only thing I don't like about loot in PoE are the strong visuals, i.e. the "loot glow."

I'm not particularly fond of people trying to speak on the behalf of an entire community, especially on a topic not gauged.

^EDIT: I find loot glow annoying too.

Can it be made optional? Because I really don't like it.

I don't understand, how does this detract from the game? Can't you loot one enemy at a time anyway if you want to?

Edited by Marky
  • Like 1

I'd just like to add that I am not a member of the esteemed RPG Codex. I simply far prefer to choose what items I pick up, avoid cursed items, assign items to my various different party members, and manage my inventory rather than have the game play itself. It also adds far more to verisimilitude.

• Like 5

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I simply far prefer to choose what items I pick up, avoid cursed items, assign items to my various different party members, and manage my inventory

I don't quite understand how you can't do that with area looting ?

I mean we're not talking about auto-looting here, are we ?

Edited by CaptainMace
  • Like 3

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

I'd just like to add that I am not a member of the esteemed RPG Codex. I simply far prefer to choose what items I pick up, avoid cursed items, assign items to my various different party members, and manage my inventory rather than have the game play itself. It also adds far more to verisimilitude.

Obviously we all want and need to manage inventory and assign gear to party members. Looting is not inventory management.

One click to stash, then distribute gear from the stash. Clicking on individual corpses adds nothing to immersion for me but, hey. YMMV.

• Like 3

How does area looting prevent any of that?   :shrugz:

Edit: I had the tread open for some time before posting.  :grin:

Edited by Lychnidos
  • Like 1

Yeah, uh... are you mixing up area loot with auto loot?

• Like 3
jcod0.png

You can distribute from the stash? I thought that was only available at campsites and the stronghold or somesuch.

Tea for the teapot!

- Anything that draws PoE further away from BG2 is bad, cause less of an "IE Spiritual Successor". Different feels from the game = not ie successor.
- Whenever I killed a tough party in BG2, I'd always rush to loot the dead leader, to study his loot. Then go study the mage's loot. Etc.... The whole concept is now gone, as I'll be looking at loot from lots of bodies at the same time not even knowing which body dropped what.
- The area looting is slightly immersion breaking, due to it stinking of modern video games mechanisms and simply being irritating on its own.
- It takes away choice, however small it may be. I don't want to deal with the loot of everyone I killed, I'm only interested in that goblin shaman's loot, for instance.

• Like 10
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

Can we get confirmation that this is basically just ranged/group looting, and not insta/auto-looting? Methinks Tamerlane has the right of it, and most people seem to be protesting awfully hard against auto looting. Area looting sounds like what was in Wasteland 2. You still have to manually take what you want and leave what you don't, from each corpse, but you can loot them all within a certain radius at the same time, without having to jog to-and-fro to each corpse.

The only problem with that I can fathom is if you somehow murder something across an unpassable chasm, and the loot area still lets you loot it from a distance.

• Like 4

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u