Update 91: Closing in on March 26th!

Any word on the audio novella? I can't seem to find out any information on it, does it come out at the end of the week or later in the year or what? I know it is not as important as the game itself, but I am still looking forward to it.

i probably won't back anything else Obsidian does based off the way they've handled sending out these keys.

Hope this is a joke.

I sadly get the feeling it's not.

I'm just happy it's coming out, would be nice to get the keys in advance but as long as i'll be able to play on Thursday i'll be happy.

I've enjoyed the whole process until this last week where the transparency has got out of the window. Steam orderers have the game in their library already but us backers who were were from day one are stuck wondering "when?". I'm in the GMT time zone and Tuesday is nearly over. After I get home from work tomorrow, I'm only going to have a few hours of download time before Thursday which means I might not be able to play the game Thursday evening at all (which would suuuuuck)

I appreciate the team have been super busy, but Obsidian could definitely learn a lot from this week for future projects - prioritise everyone equally or not at all. It shouldn't be hard to get the keys out to us.

I've enjoyed the whole process until this last week where the transparency has got out of the window. Steam orderers have the game in their library already but us backers who were were from day one are stuck wondering "when?". I'm in the GMT time zone and Tuesday is nearly over. After I get home from work tomorrow, I'm only going to have a few hours of download time before Thursday which means I might not be able to play the game Thursday evening at all (which would suuuuuck)

I appreciate the team have been super busy, but Obsidian could definitely learn a lot from this week for future projects - prioritise everyone equally or not at all. It shouldn't be hard to get the keys out to us.

Steam orderers don't have the game pre-loaded if that is what you're getting at. Not that it matters anyway, cause we can't play it (activate the game) until Thursday anyway. So calm the eff down.

The drama on these forums are reaching ridiculous levels.

Edited by Mannock
  • Like 3

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Steam orderers don't have the game pre-loaded if that is what you're getting at. Not that it matters anyway, cause we can't play it (activate the game) until Thursday anyway. So calm the eff down.

The drama on these forums are getting reaching ridiculous levels.

Wanting to use a product you've paid money for on the day it is released isn't "drama" at all. I want to play it on Thursday and most other games on Steam that are pre-ordered have a pre-loading function so it's just a bit opaque as to why the keys are taking so long to come out (especially when streamers have the game already). You also have to consider that people may have taken time off of work for this game (I haven't, personally) so if they're wasting a day of their holiday downloading the game because Obsidian didn't sort out preloading and getting keys out on time then that's going to be very disappointing for them.

Especially since we paid money for this game, we do actually have a right to question what is going on.

The reality of it is, even though we're all anxious to get our backer keys and then activate them, confident we'll be able to download and install as soon as possible, Obsidian knows we need the keys before release on Thursday.  They've stated as such.  It's Tuesday, and they have time.

So let's give them time, yeah?  Our faith extends that far, surely?

Now Playing: Pillars of Eternity / Borderlands: Pre-Sequel / #IDARB / Hearthstone / GTA V

[twitch.tv]

[smith.ink]

Wanting to use a product you've paid money for on the day it is released isn't "drama" at all. I want to play it on Thursday and most other games on Steam that are pre-ordered have a pre-loading function so it's just a bit opaque as to why the keys are taking so long to come out (especially when streamers have the game already). You also have to consider that people may have taken time off of work for this game (I haven't, personally) so if they're wasting a day of their holiday downloading the game because Obsidian didn't sort out preloading and getting keys out on time then that's going to be very disappointing for them.

Especially since we paid money for this game, we do actually have a right to question what is going on.

First of all; at the moment there is no product to use. You can use the product on Thursday, when it goes live. No need to panic.

Yes, streamers and reviewers have a review build to play at the moment. That is standard procedure for any game. Nothing to whine about.

Indeed, we all wish to preload the game, and you will have that opportunity today. Brandon Adler stated in another thread they will push out the keys today (they're on pacific US time so that might mean tomorrow if you are in some other time zone).

And people taking their day off on Thursday is just peachy. They will get to play the game when it goes live, which is 9 am (PDT) on Thursday (again, according to Brandon Adler).

Seacrest out.

• Like 2

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

First of all; at the moment there is no product to use. You can use the product on Thursday, when it goes live. No need to panic.

Yes, streamers and reviewers have a review build to play at the moment. That is standard procedure for any game. Nothing to whine about.

Indeed, we all wish to preload the game, and you will have that opportunity today. Brandon Adler stated in another thread they will push out the keys today (they're on pacific US time so that might mean tomorrow if you are in some other time zone).

And people taking their day off on Thursday is just peachy. They will get to play the game when it goes live, which is 9 am (PDT) on Thursday (again, according to Brandon Adler).

Seacrest out.

Not necessarily, given that different internet speeds take different amount of time to download games, sometimes several days to download a single game. That's why preloading is such a great feature, it allows everyone to enjoy the game on release day regardless of their internet speed.

But you've made your mind up already that no one is allowed to be upset about this so okay matey.

Edited by hollowcrown
  • Like 2

Hollow Crown does have a point, I personally will (should) have no problems downloading it berfore-hand, but there are plenty of people around the world, who downloading 25gb's will take more than a day (bearing in mind, that they probably won't be starting the download until they're back from work). So say you live outside of America, you get the key on Wednesday, but you're going to work, you get back home from work, you start the download, you then have to go to sleep, wake up, back to work, get home from work, and continue downloading. 

I see both sides of the issues in the past week, but the thing is, we're not people that purchased a game, we're people that funded a games development. Being treated like someone that bought a game, it just feels 'off' to me.

Count yourselves lucky,... I have been using up annual leave for the end of the financial year and have been nearly two weeks off and am back to work this weekend,.... so while you folks will be playing away,... I will be slaving away full of envy. Just bad timing for me and how my time off worked out.

So I am not so worried, it has been gold for a number of days, so the game is solid, the keys and downloads will surely be sorted for the weekend. I have waited all this time,... I'll have to wait a few more days than the rest of you. Think about poor me when you are kicking some poor goblin's head in, down some dank god forsaken dungeon.

Enjoy yourselves.

• Like 1

Hollow Crown does have a point, I personally will (should) have no problems downloading it berfore-hand, but there are plenty of people around the world, who downloading 25gb's will take more than a day (bearing in mind, that they probably won't be starting the download until they're back from work). So say you live outside of America, you get the key on Wednesday, but you're going to work, you get back home from work, you start the download, you then have to go to sleep, wake up, back to work, get home from work, and continue downloading. 

I see both sides of the issues in the past week, but the thing is, we're not people that purchased a game, we're people that funded a games development. Being treated like someone that bought a game, it just feels 'off' to me.

Thanks for being so understanding!

I'm not demanding the game be released now or anything and I appreciate the team is probably very busy, but it would just be nice to know when the game is gonna be released to us backers for pre-loading since there's a lot of uncertainty right now over it and Steam pre-orderers might get the game playable before some of us which would suck.

And the transparency being overlooked at the very end of the release process is very frustrating for us who are so excited for the game.

I've enjoyed the whole process until this last week where the transparency has got out of the window. Steam orderers have the game in their library already but us backers who were were from day one are stuck wondering "when?". 

Those orders show up in their library because they bought the game on Steam.

i probably won't back anything else Obsidian does based off the way they've handled sending out these keys.

Hope this is a joke.

why would it be a joke? all other high profile kickstarters were courteous and went out of the way to make sure their backers got their game slightly earlier.

• Like 1

I've enjoyed the whole process until this last week where the transparency has got out of the window. Steam orderers have the game in their library already but us backers who were were from day one are stuck wondering "when?". 

Those orders show up in their library because they bought the game on Steam.

I know...and? 

I hope Obsidian never does another Kickstarter. 2 1/2 years of listening to entitled "supporters" whine about every. ****ing. detail. is something that I only want to experience once.

The Stoic devs basically said this in one of their updates for TBS.

Hope this is a joke.

why would it be a joke? all other high profile kickstarters were courteous and went out of the way to make sure their backers got their game slightly earlier.

Because you're having the most extreme reaction to a minor inconvenience.

Edited by Bryy
  • Like 1

The whole second half of this thread is one giant First-World Problems meme.

"New video game releases at 10AM on Thursday, but didn't get to preload it in time to play it the second it fired up, *crying woman face*"

• Like 10

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

"New video game releases at 10AM on Thursday, but didn't get to preload it in time to play it the second it fired up, *crying woman face*"

This is probably the most reasonable post in all the thread.

10am Pacific time?! This day just keeps getting worse./s

So I guess if the games broken after the first half hour, no ones allowed to moan, because first world problems? First world problems is just a pretty pointless argument. We're in first world countries, as such, our problems are first world problems. 

So I guess if the games broken after the first half hour, no ones allowed to moan, because first world problems? First world problems is just a pretty pointless argument. We're in first world countries, as such, our problems are first world problems. 

Pretty much. With the same reasoning you can't complain if companies start to buttrape you considering that's what certain companies do in 3rd world countries.

Either way, preload would be nice. My avg downloadspeed is 800kb/s.

Edited by Hybridsalmon

It wasn't really an argument. 8P. It's a meme. Online. Like an ongoing joke.

But, the truth of the matter is, we're all going to live, and we're going to get to play this fantastic game. So, chill or don't, but... *shrug*. Reality is reality. I'm not sure all this moaning is proportional to "oh no everything isn't going flawlessly!".

Patience is a virtue. I dunno what else to say.

"Oh, patience is a virtue?! So we should just wait forever and be happy about it?"

Just going ahead and pre-emptively addressing that response: No. But pitching a fit about it doesn't really accomplish anything. And that's why children don't run the world.

If people REALLY want to submit negative feedback about things, they can do so in a formal capacity to Obsidian, not just whine about everything on a forum.

"Who are you to tell me what to do?!"

Pre-empting that response, too: I'm not telling anyone what to do. I'm simply highlighting some simple truths of the matter, is all. If you don't consider them useful, then feel free to ignore them. You're not even obligated to read them, if you don't want to.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Not necessarily, given that different internet speeds take different amount of time to download games, sometimes several days to download a single game. That's why preloading is such a great feature, it allows everyone to enjoy the game on release day regardless of their internet speed.

If someone has such a bad internet connection that it takes them several days to download a game, then they should not have assumed they'd be able to play it on day one.

And that is true for this whole argument. Nobody ever said we'd get the game so soon that we will be able to play it on release day. If you assumed that, then it's your own fault. Usually when I buy a game digitally, I can only do that the day it's released. I have to bear in mind that it needs to be downloaded. That is my own responsibility. I don't have a right to complain "you said that you'd release this game today, but I'm still downloading and won't be able to play until tomorrow, what the heck".

And to be sure, you did not pre-order the game. You backed it. It's a different thing and if you assumed that you'd get all the pre-order benefits from it, well that's your own fault, again.

In short, being angry about this makes no sense at all. It's fine to be sad/disappointed, but don't start saying they screwed up. They said they'd try to give us our keys early enough, they never promised anything (and they certainly didn't say "yeah you guys with 56k modems certainly will be able to play it on release day, we'll give you the keys one month in advance just to be sure!").

"Other kickstarter projects did it!" Oh please. That's not even an argument, that's just being childish. Give me a real good argument for being pissed about this, and I'll accept it. But it pretty much has to include a quote where Obsidian promises us keys early enough to play on release day, and they did not do that.

• Like 1