Seven Dragon Saga by Tactical Simulations Interactive (TSI) KS

"Dwarves in Seven Dragon Saga = Volourn has pledged 200", hm?

This is the most geeky KS pitch I've ever seen. They start right away by showing a pure class basement dweller now in his 40s talking about RPGs the second the video starts, and then continue in the same trend. They scored bonus points with me with an original Guild Wars box on premier display in Klein's shots.

As a long-time GB fan (see my signature for a Let's Play), I have no choice, I must pledge to these guys. I remember enjoying the intro/menu music in Pool of Radiance so much that most of the team member names burned into my mind by repeated watching of the team credit screen. It was very strange when I first saw David Shelley on Matt Chat. My teen heroes actually have faces and can talk? :)

• Like 2

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

It's not my style of RPG, not now and not 20 years ago, but it's the type of thing I usually back anyway because, hey, why not for $15? But then I see it's $25. It's not a huge difference but it's that tiny psychological thing that gives me pause.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

"Dwarves in Seven Dragon Saga = Volourn has pledged 200", hm?

This is the most geeky KS pitch I've ever seen. They start right away by showing a pure class basement dweller now in his 40s talking about RPGs the second the video starts, and then continue in the same trend. They scored bonus points with me with an original Guild Wars box on premier display in Klein's shots.

As a long-time GB fan (see my signature for a Let's Play), I have no choice, I must pledge to these guys. I remember enjoying the intro/menu music in Pool of Radiance so much that most of the team member names burned into my mind by repeated watching of the team credit screen. It was very strange when I first saw David Shelley on Matt Chat. My teen heroes actually have faces and can talk? :)

I want to support this game but I need to ask an important question that you kind of highlighted

So all these developers were very active in creating game 20 years ago but what have they been doing since then? Have they still been involved in development, I won't support a game just on nostalgic value. I want to know there is skill involved and an understanding of modern programming

So I'm not sure if anyone has any idea of the credentials  of the current team involved in this KS?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If what you mean under knowledge of modern programing anything, that is close to port of GTA IV PC or Battlefield 4, then I am happy that these guys were not active last 20 years...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

If what you mean under knowledge of modern programing anything, that is close to port of GTA IV PC or Battlefield 4, then I am happy that these guys were not active last 20 years...

But surely you must share my concern, have the team involved in this KS actually created any games since the SSI days?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

But surely you must share my concern, have the team involved in this KS actually created any games since the SSI days?

David Shelley has mostly been working on mobile and facebook games most recently.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-shelley/6/158/315

As far as I can tell, Broderick Macaraeg has also been working on mostly mobile gaming.  Edwin McRae was narrative designer on Path of Exile and has worked at a number of studios over the years.

http://www.edmcrae.com/about-edwin.cfm

Jarno Sarkula has written music for a number of games.

http://www.stakula.com/

That's all I could find with a quick google search.

• Like 1

Oh, this is tough!

I mean, I played the heck out of them Gold Box games, over and over, for thousands of hours.

Mostly, though, because I loved rolling various parties in the D&D setting.

Seven Dragon Saga is not D&D, and I'm not sure this type of game is relevant today. They speak of story, which certainly was part of it, but not very much, I'm afraid. I don't even recall those stories today (one exception - the first Dark Sun), not even the Dragonlance ones in those three CRPGs way back when. However, if I think back on Baldur's Gate, or even NWN1, I most certainly do. Heh, I even recall the tiny bits of story from old Might & Magic games.

All I do remember is that it was fun and slightly mind-numbing to play with your own party for hours and hours on end. In some bizarre way, those games were like D3 today for me, but D&D-themed.

Another thing: The turn-based fights shown, as well as those few races and abilities, those didn't exactly impress. I have played Fallen Enchantress:LH a lot, a 4X game, and I'm pretty sure I get better combat out of it, not to mention a huge variation and loot and exploration. It doesn't bode well for a game like this. Perhaps I'll back it just to support these great guys who made them classics, but I'm very wary about the game prospect we've been shown so far.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I have decided that I won't be funding this KS yet, I'll be following the updates and make a judgement call later :)

John Milton 

Shouldn't it be the other way round, though?

Also, there is a topic on this already, sweetest mieu! original.gif

In case anyone wonders what the above is a reply to, it's Mieu's post a bit further up. They got seperated a bit by merging the threads =]

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

That would interest me as well. There were before in CnC forums games, which are more clearly overstepping the boundary between kickstarter anouncement and crossmerchandising without being moved away.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Hmm, well I've decided to back it, but I'm going to wait for a few days as I mull over the info and think about it.  I might still support the Sword Coast game, even though I doubt if I buy it at this point.  When I figure out that, then I'll back this one.  Plus, if it's like Project Eternity, I tend to pledge and then up my pledge as I see things I like or get more excited.  I'm already pledged for Tides of Numenera.  For that one, I went in on... Silver I think?  Anyhow, having thoroughly enjoyed Wasteland 2, I regret not pledging higher.  ...But we can apparently use the same character in SDS and ToN, so that's certainly a plus.  :Cant's sighing icon:  I just tend to take my time with things like this.  If only I were rich!

EDIT:  Okay, stupid to agonize.  I pledged in at $65 hoping that if enough of us do that we can prime the pump and others will come in.  If it looks good later, I might up the ante, but $65 seems reasonable for now.

• Like 2

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Their Kickstarter page could use a little reworking; people seem to be put off by it. The graphics are decent and their is some good information, but still a re-org. would be beneficial.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Gotta be honest, the video most of the way sold me (it reminded me of ToEE, and I've been jonesing for a ToEE-like game) and the devs assuring me there would be good non-caster combat options (I asked them a question and they answered within a few hours.)

Now I'm just worried it won't get funded... :(

I just told the Update 91 thread I would back this game, but a second look at the Kickstarter page makes me think half-a-million dollars is beyond the stars. 

$450k is completely within reason for a nostalgia campaign. 

Right now, it's projected to hit just under funding, but we'll see.

Their Kickstarter page could use a little reworking; people seem to be put off by it. The graphics are decent and their is some good information, but still a re-org. would be beneficial.

Yeah, a bad campaign page can kill a great idea.

Edited by Bryy

At this point, they have 10% of their goal with one month left. As it seems to me, the problem is that there just hasn't been sufficient buzz about the project. If ol' Infinit hadn't posted this here, I wouldn't even know about the project. ...and clearly, while I'm glad he did, it's not like they're going to get hundreds of thousands of dollars from our little CnC community. <.<

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Yes. If they can get the same number of supporters as Underworld Ascendant, they will easily clear $600,000. Based on current trends though, they will not quite make it and end up having to try again. There have been a few other KS projects that were successful on the 2nd or 3rd try.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I just got a kickstarter email with the latest update and a video. I'll post it when I get home. I'm hoping they pull it off. They might just do it.

Obsidian Plays

Well the problem with kickstarter projects is the credibility of the team behind it.

While I like the concept I am not sure if I can trust that it will deliver, I am in the group, that once its funded and shipped I will buy it based on the feedback, but I am not blind trusting like I am in case of the PoE team and W2 team.