Perhaps each quest has tasks you have to complete in order to complete the quest.

It's sort of like breaking out a story in software development where you have to task out your story and that may come from an epic or parent using Pivotal Tracker or some such.

For example:

Play PE(epic)

Stop Ogre from Killing Pigs(story)

1.)Talk to Locals(task)

2.)Find Lair or Evidence(task)

3.) Kill or Negotiate with Ogre(task)

4.) Return to Townsfolk(task)

Or perhaps I'm mistaken and they aren't doing that /shrug

Edited by GreyFox

In other games both would be labelled as quest. It's hard to say what is the difference in the game based on the BB, but a guess would be that task are supposed to be short/simple while quests are longer with more options.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

In other games both would be labelled as quest. It's hard to say what is the difference in the game based on the BB, but a guess would be that task are supposed to be short/simple while quests are longer with more options.

thats what I was thinking, that tasks are like short quests

or maybe "Quests" are story quests that you must complete, and "tasks" are optional side quests?

Join the Orcz and help scribe everything that goes on in the world of Pillars of Eternity!

The Unofficial Pillars of Eternity Wiki

There are three levels/tiers of quests, and they are ranked by type in the Journal:

- Main Quest: Actual campaign quests

- Quests: Larger trivial quests like the Ogre

- Tasks: Smaller trivial quests that are more akin to "fetch quest" structure

Edited by Bryy
  • Like 1

I realize it's now just sort of gaming terminology, but it's a bit funny that everything you could ever do is often referred to as a "quest." I think, originally, a quest was typically some major/overarching goal, like "I'm a quest to prevent this war," or "I'm on a quest to locate the missing magical thingy." You did stuff along the way, sure, but you weren't really on 73 quests at once. And to call "Hey, could you please pick up some soup for me at the store while you're there? I can't make it to the store because of my rickety old bones, and I can't find my son." a quest is a little over-doing it.

Ultimately, it's not really that big of a deal. But, it'd be a bit like calling a rusty dagger a "legendary" weapon. The game could do it, and could even have normal equipment progression from there. It'd still be really weird not to simply have aptly-named equipment tiers.

So, I'm glad there are three levels of "quest." :)

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

There are three levels/tiers of quests, and they are ranked by type in the Journal:

- Main Quest: Actual campaign quests

- Quests: Larger trivial quests like the Ogre

- Tasks: Smaller trivial quests that are more akin to "fetch quest" structure

ok thanks, is there a way to tell main quests from side quests like are they categorized differently?

Edited by DruidX

Join the Orcz and help scribe everything that goes on in the world of Pillars of Eternity!

The Unofficial Pillars of Eternity Wiki