Will the player portraits actually be something our characters can look like?

Hello, one of the minor annoyances I had with Wasteland 2 (as a most recent example) was how of all the player portraits you could hardly make a single character that even remotely "resembled" the portrait.

So you'd have your player portrait and then the actual character model that looked nothing like your portrait.

I am wondering with POE do we actually have the ability in character creation to make characters that at least come close to resembled the portraits we can choose from?

• Like 1

In same cases yes, in some cases no.

Also, I share your annoyance with Wasteland 2 character creation in this. Oh, top hat and a poncho portrait? Awesome, you can have a poncho but.. despite there being top hats in the game and despite there being a "hat" option on character creation, no top hat for you.

And what is gas masks?

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Also, I share your annoyance with Wasteland 2 character creation in this. Oh, top hat and a poncho portrait? Awesome, you can have a poncho but.. despite there being top hats in the game and despite there being a "hat" option on character creation, no top hat for you.

And what is gas masks?

There was a top hat clothing item and you could definitely choose to have your face be a gas mask. There were multiple gas masks, actually.

As per the original. I dunno. But I usually give up and start using custom portraits pretty quickly. My Wasteland 2 game had my "main" character with the box art from the NES Metal Gear. Ideally, they would model the hair/head assets after actual portraits, but it's way easier  to add portraits than models.

You could always just imagine it's a Pen and Paper game. The portrait is how you envision your character looks like and the model is just the most appropriate mini you could find. Be thankful your main character isn't just a two euro coin like one of mine was in a campaign I played :)

Edited by Verenti

Good thing with Wasteland 2 was that you could have a close-up screenshot of your character as a character portrait so you could have a portrait identical to your character. Unfortunately this feature is not present here. Too bad also because the character models in PoE are way better that Wasteland 2.

Of course you can make your character look like some of the portraits at least.

I'd actually say they are the same.

Disagree. :D I love Wasteland 2 a lot and finished it several times, but even I won't defend the character models. From what I've seen of Pillars so far, they definitely look better. :D

And what is gas masks?

There was a top hat clothing item and you could definitely choose to have your face be a gas mask. There were multiple gas masks, actually.

As per the original. I dunno. But I usually give up and start using custom portraits pretty quickly. My Wasteland 2 game had my "main" character with the box art from the NES Metal Gear. Ideally, they would model the hair/head assets after actual portraits, but it's way easier  to add portraits than models.

You could always just imagine it's a Pen and Paper game. The portrait is how you envision your character looks like and the model is just the most appropriate mini you could find. Be thankful your main character isn't just a two euro coin like one of mine was in a campaign I played original.gif

I haven't kept up with the patches, so if they added a top-hat on creation, that's great, but it was most definitely not there when the game launched. Like I said, there are top hats in the game, but you couldn't select one on creation. I was halfway through Arizona before I finally found one, but at that point it didn't really matter anymore.

Also, I think only females could select a head that came with a gas mask, but even then it wasn't a clothing item, it was a part of the head that worked wonkily with other apparel.

If that's changed, well that's great. As for the comparison to a PnP, with a PnP all you have is the pictures on the board and the image in your head. Doesn't work so well with CRPG:s where there's an avatar telling you that, no, you actually look nothing like the picture at all. At that point, I'd actually prefer the two-euro coin, because it doesn't pretend to be your character.

Good thing with Wasteland 2 was that you could have a close-up screenshot of your character as a character portrait so you could have a portrait identical to your character. Unfortunately this feature is not present here. Too bad also because the character models in PoE are way better that Wasteland 2.

Of course you can make your character look like some of the portraits at least.

That's like the worst part of Wasteland 2. The screencap "portraits" are terrible, especially since everything else in the game gets proper portraits. It's incredibly jarring. Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg