Influence/reputation/friendship status with party Members?

As per title.

I get that there is no romance (and no, of course i don't want to talk  about romance, i accept the fact that there isn't and that's it).

But i was curious about the NPCs you can have in the party. Are they influenced by your actions and answers to other people? I mean, can you anger them to the point that they leave the party or even betray you?

Or can you make them so fond of you that they basically would lie their life for you?

Is there a clear influence/alignment system?

Thank you all for your answers, if there are answers :p

I'm curious about this as well. I already like a couple of premade companions a lot, I desire to help them and I'm wondering how much our interactions will be deep/important to the story.

I'm not really interested in romance, but I want them to feel and react to my friendship/appreciation/affection! ;)

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

Hopefully there is no clear alignment/reputation system built into the characters whatsoever. It leads to ridiculous metagaming and optimization rather than promoting roleplaying.

That said, I do hope that there is a discernible degree of reactivity when it comes to relationships between characters (and not just party members), but honestly speaking, I wouldn't be too sad if it's not overly noticeable, simply because it's not reasonable to expect throughout an entire game of this scope.

t50aJUd.jpg

I'm curious if there'll be ways to influence your party members to go "dark side", as a Cipher (or, maybe the "Watcher" has some soul powers that allows the Player to do something like that on any playthrough).

E.g. Edér seems like a friendly dude. What if you can "dominate" companions minds and make them "unfriendly"?  :devil:

My first playthrough I'm going to attempt to make a saint though o:)

EDIT: More information here (Official Wikpedia, Disposition) on reputation btw @OP.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

In every instance where this q has been posed to the dev team including this past PAX East panel, the answer has been basically no. I don't know what minute of the panel discussion but I believe someone asks, in the context of Minsc/Edwin the same q and the answer has been no, your companions won't fight to the death. I have never heard a hard no to them leaving your party but I would assume that they probably won't unless you REALLY want them to (kill their family, tell them to leave, try to kill them, etc)

Eta: this was in responsee to the will companions leave you thing not the rep thing cuz yeah there is

Edited by BigBripa

I'm curious if there'll be ways to influence your party members to go "dark side", as a Cipher (or, maybe the "Watcher" has some soul powers that allows the Player to do something like that on any playthrough).

E.g. Edér seems like a friendly dude. What if you can "dominate" companions minds and make them "unfriendly"?  :devil:

My first playthrough I'm going to attempt to make a saint though o:)

EDIT: More information here (Official Wikpedia, Disposition) on reputation btw @OP.

"Kill."

"But sir, he.."

"KILL."

"...I won't.. I'm..."

"KILL!"

*cuts the head off the ruffian that was trying to surrender*

... now I want a Cipher Bleak Walker. D:

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

Hu? Can't remember where, but i'm pretty sure that it was said companions could leave you. But it wasn't about alignments like in BG (like when Korgan could leave you if you reach a reputation of 19). Each companion have his own agenda. If you prevent them to achieve their goals, they may leave you. As an example, in the prologue, Calisca can leave you if you chose to rest for the sake of Heodan since she really wants to go through the dungeon as soon as possible (because of her own agenda).

Dunno if companions can leave you because of dispositions however. Like a really benevolant companion who can't bear anymore your cruel nature. I think it may be possible, but i have no proof.

I think i've read somewhere too that one companion may not be your "friend". He/She helps you because of his/her own interests.

Edited by Abel
  • Like 1

Hu? Can't remember where, but i'm pretty sure that it was said companions could leave you. But it wasn't about alignments like in BG (like when Korgan could leave you if you reach a reputation of 19). Each companion have his own agenda. If you prevent them to achieve their goals, they may leave you. As an example, in the prologue, Calisca can leave you if you chose to rest for the sake of Heodan since she really wants to go through the dungeon as soon as possible (because of her own agenda).

Dunno if companions can leave you because of dispositions however. Like a really benevolant companion who can't bear anymore your cruel nature. I think it may be possible, but i have no proof.

I think i've read somewhere too that one companion may not be your "friend". He/She helps you because of his/her own interests.

PoE really doesn't have the content (in terms of CNPC:s) to allow this sort of dynamic. You'll probably have to be openly hostile towards the companions or directly and knowingly work against their immediate and overall interests repeatedly in order to "drive them away", if at all possible.

t50aJUd.jpg

PoE really doesn't have the content (in terms of CNPC:s) to allow this sort of dynamic. You'll probably have to be openly hostile towards the companions or directly and knowingly work against their immediate and overall interests repeatedly in order to "drive them away", if at all possible.

Really? It would be disappointing since i feel it's a great part of making companions believable. "Automatic" companions, automaticaly found of the PC and never complaining or quit the party seems weird to me. Having strong opinions that can bring conflicts is one core thing to bring a soul to joinable NPCs.

But yeah, agree with the problem of "only 8 companions". What you say makes sense. I soooooooo wanted to have more of them, too.

• Like 1

Really? It would be disappointing since i feel it's a great part of making companions believable. "Automatic" companions, automaticaly found of the PC and never complaining or quit the party seems weird to me. Having strong opinions that can bring conflicts is one core thing to bring a soul to joinable NPCs.

But yeah, agree with the problem of "only 8 companions". What you say makes sense. I soooooooo wanted to have more of them, too.

One can complain and argue easily. It's just that making companions leave may take more than just "I killed a puppy/saved a puppy" in a random quest.

One can complain and argue easily. It's just that making companions leave may take more than just "I killed a puppy/saved a puppy" in a random quest.

I hope it would take more than that, unless this companion is totaly freaking in love with puppies ;) (who knows?). I guess we'll need to play to know the truth here, unless someone has the answer.