White People: What They Say in Public vs Behind Closed Doors

ktchong

For example are women really equal to men in the corporate world? 30 years ago many people thought that a women's role was in the kitchen getting the dinner ready, the TV series Mad Men highlights just how bad and institutionalized sexism was

Not sure I would have went with a "fictional show illustrates how life was like 50 years ago" example, but maybe it'll work out for you. ;)

It may be fictional but its accurate account of a women's role in the workplace and perceived place in the home  in the 1960's and earlier  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Where did all the humorous posters go on these forums?  

Hiding, but SJWs can find you everywhere. Political correctness is opposite to fun :)

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Hiding, but SJWs can find you everywhere. Political correctness is opposite to fun :)

Thats nasty, us SJW bring a much needed sense of decorum to society 

:aiee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I ate 'em.

Anyhow, now that I've had some sleep, I think I can marshal my thoughts better.  My point about poverty, and this goes along the lines of what Gorth was saying, is that being stuck in the wheel well of the bus of life doesn't require any particular skin color.  Grom had bad experiences at the hands of white folks.  His example show that he took those experiences and transformed them into something good because of some of the breaks he had in life.  Awesome!  However, I would much rather celebrate his success at rising above hatred, even if sometimes he still falls into those ways, than defend folks for hating.  I can understand some folks hating people of any particular group.  A woman who was gang raped at a bar shouldn't assume all men are rapists, but she probably has a hard time not feeling animosity towards men.  I can sympathize with her.  It still ain't good.  Even if I don't judge her, which I don't, my point would still remain that her feelings towards men aren't good for her.  It's still something that detracts from her life.  ...And, if she used her feelings as a way to excuse self destructive behavior, then the men who raped her would be causing her even greater harm after the fact than they did during the first assault.

As for me, I think I've discussed enough of my childhood except for one thing that may or may not be humorous.  (If it's not, bite me!)  My biological father was half Mexican by heritage.  My grandmother was born and raised in Mexico.  It doesn't come up all the time, but when it's come out that I'm part Mexican, I've had people call me a 'wannabe' and all manner of ignorant crap.  Hell, I've had Mexican descent relatives tell me I'm not *really* Mexican.  Now, anyone who's met a significant number of actual Mexicans, knows that you get a pretty broad range of skin colors, hair colors, and eye colors.  Yeah, by the it got to my generation, we looked a hell of a lot more white bread than good ol'  Nana.  Never really bothered me.  Just kind of weird.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

For example are women really equal to men in the corporate world? 30 years ago many people thought that a women's role was in the kitchen getting the dinner ready, the TV series Mad Men highlights just how bad and institutionalized sexism was

Not sure I would have went with a "fictional show illustrates how life was like 50 years ago" example, but maybe it'll work out for you. ;)

It may be fictional but its accurate account of a women's role in the workplace and perceived place in the home  in the 1960's and earlier  :geek:

As someone that has talked to women who were alive in the '60s and earlier, no it isn't.

• Like 2

There is literally one SJW on this forum, and he is constantly berated for his posts.   :getlost:

So you were able to study every work place there was in the 1960s and can state, categorically that Mad Men accurately - to 100% - reflects women's roles in the workplace and perceived place in the 1960s and earlier? 

I'm not saying that those issues weren't there at all, but I'd feel more comfortable if you were pulling the basis for this from, say, Mary Wells' A BIG LIFE IN ADVERTISING, Janice Rutherford's SELLING MRS. CONSUMER or Juliane Sivulka's SOAP, SEX AND CIGARETTES, or any other non-ficitional* source than from a TV show that is going to heighten any potential conflict for dramatic effect.

*acknowledging that even non-fiction has inherent bias

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There is literally one SJW on this forum, and he is constantly berated for his posts.   :getlost:

I wouldn't say that Hurlshot, I think your posts make loads of sense to me  :teehee:

John Milton 

What is an SJW?  I keep seeing it.

Social Justice Warrior

As far as definition, I don't think there's one that everyone could agree with.  Typically involves someone trying to argue for doing something to improve the life of some perceived oppressed group.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

So you were able to study every work place there was in the 1960s and can state, categorically that Mad Men accurately - to 100% - reflects women's roles in the workplace and perceived place in the 1960s and earlier? 

I'm not saying that those issues weren't there at all, but I'd feel more comfortable if you were pulling the basis for this from, say, Mary Wells' A BIG LIFE IN ADVERTISING, Janice Rutherford's SELLING MRS. CONSUMER or Juliane Sivulka's SOAP, SEX AND CIGARETTES, or any other non-ficitional* source than from a TV show that is going to heighten any potential conflict for dramatic effect.

*acknowledging that even non-fiction has inherent bias

Correct thats exactly what I did and I'm glad you asked, I did in fact study every workplace that existed in the 1960's and say unequivocally and with confidence that Mad Men represents accurately the role and reality of most women in that era

I'm glad that's settled  :dancing:

John Milton 

Correct thats exactly what I did and I'm glad you asked, I did in fact study every workplace that existed in the 1960's and say unequivocally and with confidence that Mad Men represents accurately the role and reality of most women in that era

I'm glad that's settled  dancing.gif

Would you please cite your definitive work on the subject in a peer-reviewed journal?  I'd like to read it. :wowey:

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 1

Social Justice Warrior

As far as definition, I don't think there's one that everyone could agree with.  Typically involves someone trying to argue for doing something to improve the life of some perceived oppressed group.

That's  a scurrilous and inaccurate description of what a SJW is  :biggrin:

A  SJW is simply someone who takes the important position  of addressing various SJ causes and is active in trying to ameliorate the conditions of people in society who are intentionally and unintentionally victims of bigotry and discrimination. I believe in the principle of doing the right thing irrespective if the majority disagree. And we use various mediums, like the Internet, to try to get our message across 

John Milton 

Social Justice Warrior

That's  a scurrilous and inaccurate description of what a SJW is  :biggrin:

A  SJW is simply someone who takes the important position  of addressing various SJ causes and is active in trying to ameliorate the conditions of people in society who are intentionally and unintentionally victims of bigotry and discrimination. I believe in the principle of doing the right thing irrespective if the majority disagree. And we use various mediums, like the Internet, to try to get our message across 

Hmm, I was trying to be neutral about the definition (since its a hot button topic).  Didn't realize you could be scurrilously neutral, but hey live and learn... :aiee:

Social Justice Warrior. A pejorative term for an individual who repeatedly and vehemently engages in arguments on social justice on the Internet, often in a shallow or not well-thought-out way, for the purpose of raising their own personal reputation. A social justice warrior, or SJW, does not necessarily strongly believe all that they say, or even care about the groups they are fighting on behalf of. They typically repeat points from whoever is the most popular blogger or commenter of the moment, hoping that they will "get SJ points" and become popular in return. They are very sure to adopt stances that are "correct" in their social circle.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

As someone that has talked to women who were alive in the '60s and earlier, no it isn't.

But did you work in the  advertising industry in NY in the 1960's?

John Milton 

Social Justice Warrior. A pejorative term for an individual who repeatedly and vehemently engages in arguments on social justice on the Internet, often in a shallow or not well-thought-out way, for the purpose of raising their own personal reputation. A social justice warrior, or SJW, does not necessarily strongly believe all that they say, or even care about the groups they are fighting on behalf of. They typically repeat points from whoever is the most popular blogger or commenter of the moment, hoping that they will "get SJ points" and become popular in return. They are very sure to adopt stances that are "correct" in their social circle.

This is undoubtedly one of  the WORST definitions of a SJW I have ever heard. Its so negative and inaccurate its almost insulting  :blink:

John Milton 

Since when were the '80's the '50's wtf?

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Well spotted but I was aware of what I was saying, I was actually making two separate points that come across as one. My bad. I meant

• 30 years ago women were still very marginalized
  • Mad Men is an accurate window into the life  of a women in the 1960's
Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

There's more than one. Most of them either don't post that much though or don't see themselves as warriors.

But, the one you're referring to isn't merely a warrior, he's a social justice 5 star general.

• Like 1

Well spotted but I was aware of what I was saying, I was actually making two separate points that come across as one. My bad. I meant

• 30 years ago women were still very marginalized
  • Mad Men is an accurate window into the life  of a women in the 1960's

No.

And mayhap amongst certain segments of the populace, but for the vast majority, no.

This is undoubtedly one of  the WORST definitions of a SJW I have ever heard. Its so negative and inaccurate its almost insulting  :blink:

It's supposed to be an insult. And it's quite accurate.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The past was awesome. Smoking was healthy for you, gas was cheap, cars were cheap, job opportunity just a stone throw away, women appriciated getting a nice slap on the butt and the music was awesome.

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy