White People: What They Say in Public vs Behind Closed Doors

ktchong

There is no consensus on the word. Not all black people use it and some are even against it being used at all

I'm against using the words white, CIS, popcorn and clown

None of those words are offensive, to any people if at all, and therefore its  not relevant to see them in the same way n**r is used. So I don't get your comparison or point ?

Au contraire.

'White' and 'clown' most definitely are considered offensive words by some. In fact 'clown' is more often used as a pejorative than in any other way in my experience. These days finding someone to take offense at just about anything isn't hard.

Context, of course, is of paramount importance.

Insofar as the 'n' word. That's a stigma that's been reinforced in main stream media for a long time now. The divide and conquer agenda as pushed by the mainstream media has been largely successful in many segments of the populace. People have become so incredibly ignorant in modern times that even words like 'negro' or 'oriental' are considered 'racist' words these days by some (ie: the Bundy fiasco last year). Of course they aren't, no word is. But even taken in context, these words are just about never used as pejoratives, historically or today.

You can still go to many places in the US (generally the mid-west especially) as well as some other nations and the 'n' word is a word that is often used in a non-pejorative manner by people of all colors and people of all colors take no offense upon hearing it, but you will just about never see or hear anything about this in the media, as you will almost never see or hear anything in the mainstream media about many other facets of US culture that doesn't jive with the PC narrative pushed in popular media .

What's wrong with what we see in the video from SAE isn't that a certain word was uttered, it's the sentiment of the people saying what they're saying and the context in which all of the words are used.

No individual word is evil, the word police however are.

Edited by Valsuelm

There is no consensus on the word. Not all black people use it and some are even against it being used at all

I'm against using the words white, CIS, popcorn and clown

I find cis offensive too. I prefer the term "normal"

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Using the N-word is like using the B-word when talking about women and not dogs.  No good can come from it, so why use it?  Stupidity is really the only answer.

And I'll be damned the day frat boys speak for me.

• Like 1

Words definitely have power, let's not try and pretend they don't.  Etymology changes, that's a simple fact of life.

agreed, but am thinking the most common complaint being voiced is not how the etymology has changed over time or that words have power, but rather why hurlshot has to literally say, "the n-word."   is silly precisely 'cause if hurl's mother or father had been black, expectations and punishments for use o' the situationally offensive word in question would be very different than for a white-as-driven-snow hurlshot. does it not come off as ridiculous when you see congressmen and pundits talking about "the n-word."?   go to any cafeteria at any university with a sizable % o' black students and you is gonna hear "the n-word" used frequent and in its complete form. gonna find the same if you watch bet for more than 5 minutes. 

is numerous explanations.  we get that the historically disenfranchised would wanna diminish the power of certain insults.  is other explanations but whatever is causes and reasons and explanations, hurl having to say, "the n-word" is just... silly. is childish pretend.  

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"None of those words are offensive, to any people if at all, and therefore its  not relevant to see them in the same way n**r is used. So I don't get your comparison or point ?"

\

Why are you talking on behalf of others?   Stop with your SJW privledge. Others can find stuff offensive too. Out of thsoe words, i definitely find CIS(gender) HIGHLY offensive. It triggers me.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I had no idea about its usage as such a bad pejorative in SA, but I use the K word regularly in normal everyday situations.

Having a K-Lime tree in my backyard and its leaves being such a commodity in many recipes, I regularly give it away to friends, coworkers, neighbors, and relatives.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Words definitely have power, let's not try and pretend they don't.  Etymology changes, that's a simple fact of life.

agreed, but am thinking the most common complaint being voiced is not how the etymology has changed over time or that words have power, but rather why hurlshot has to literally say, "the n-word."   is silly precisely 'cause if hurl's mother or father had been black, expectations and punishments for use o' the situationally offensive word in question would be very different than for a white-as-driven-snow hurlshot. does it not come off as ridiculous when you see congressmen and pundits talking about "the n-word."?   go to any cafeteria at any university with a sizable % o' black students and you is gonna hear "the n-word" used frequent and in its complete form. gonna find the same if you watch bet for more than 5 minutes. 

is numerous explanations.  we get that the historically disenfranchised would wanna diminish the power of certain insults.  is other explanations but whatever is causes and reasons and explanations, hurl having to say, "the n-word" is just... silly. is childish pretend.  

HA! Good Fun!

I refuse to use the euphemism "n-word" in a conversation about racial epithets.  Since I have only used the word in discussions revolving around word use, it seems counterproductive if you can't actually say the word itself.  However, I will point out that I've had black friends who would argue that actually say, "niggah."  Apparently, that's a different word.  ...But I also believe that there are examples of excellent literature that gets targeted because of racial epithets and stereotypes that clearly isn't meant to be bigoted but only to tell a story of the times in which they were written.  Mark Twain springs to mind.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If words don't matter at all, then the majority of human interaction is meaningless.  Of course, the vast majority of human interaction might just be meaningless.  <.>

Individual words don't have to matter, especially if focusing on them leaves out a full understanding of the speakers intent. This is usually the case with expletives that come with a heavy emotional burden for some listeners, such as the word '****'. 

https://www.google.dk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=louis+ck+%27n%27+word

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I don't think I've ever said N-word in a discussion either.  I usually just say a derogatory word or a slur when discussing language with students.  

I have no idea what CIS or the K-word is, and I'm afraid to search it up while at work.  :p

If words don't matter at all, then the majority of human interaction is meaningless.  Of course, the vast majority of human interaction might just be meaningless.  <.<

Individual words don't have to matter, especially if focusing on them leaves out a full understanding of the speakers intent. This is usually the case with expletives that come with a heavy emotional burden for some listeners, such as the word '****'. 

https://www.google.dk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=louis+ck+%27n%27+word

Words don't exist in isolation, though.  Sure, take the mean as a whole, using context and other social cues.  Same goes with sentence to paragraphs and paragraphs to pages, etc. etc. etc.  ...And even expletives and the like *do* convey a meaning.  Of course, like context, the tone of the words makes a huge difference.  Body language makes a huge difference.  That's why communicating in  writing often takes a lot more finesse, or least a different finesse, than communicating in person.  You can smile when you say 'jackass' which softens it and makes it friendlier.  Of course, to mimic this, online forums have emoticons.  <.<  :Cant's making a point icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I don't think I've ever said N-word in a discussion either.  I usually just say a derogatory word or a slur when discussing language with students.  

I have no idea what CIS or the K-word is, and I'm afraid to search it up while at work.   :p

'CIS' is short for 'cisgender', an insanity driven label revolving around the world of the 'transgendered'. It's new on the landscape of words, and was created by 'sociologists' and the like.

'Kaffir' is basically the South African equivalent of the word '****'  ('n' word). Much like that word, it started off as a neutral term to describe something, and didn't have the 'racist' label it does today. I do not know if it still is accepted as a neutral term to describe something like '****' is in parts of the world, but I suspect that it is. Not everyone let's pop culture or politics define their vocabulary. I'm surprised that anyone who teaches African history is not familiar with this word. Aside from coming across it in essays and books on Africa, It's a word that definitely reared it's head in U.S. movie culture from time to time. ie: It's been a long while since I've seen them, but I'm near positive the word is used in 'Lethal Weapon 2', and 'Cry Freedom', and am certain it was brought up in general discussions on TV here in the 80s when apartheid was being discussed in the news.

Edited by Valsuelm

one wonders if you would be able to do so if were teaching in oakland... or if you were speaking at a pta meeting.

HA! Good Fun! 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Rob the word of power, use it!

Don't use it, it makes people feel uncomfortable!

Why do 'they' get to use it and I don't?

Am I appropriately summing up the ongoing discussions here?

People are weird. A remarkably inhomogenous mass of separate organisms, with separate minds (at least until I finish construction of THE MACHINE), and greatly different experience and backgrounds. We struggle to really one understand one another.

It doesn't hurt me any to avoid making people uncomfortable because of the words I choose to use. And I suspect that might be true for most people. I kind of like the sentiment of trying to rob hate of its power, but that seems like something I'll want to wait for the sociologists to weigh in on. Groups other than the ones targeted can't precisely aid in that, their participation is hard to distinguish from further attack.

Getting upset that others can say something you can't without the same reaction just seems selfish. They have a history and hurt to deal with there. Don't make it about you and your desire to speak carelessly.

Onion's getting in on the topic: http://www.theonion.com/articles/fraternity-members-to-undergo-racial-sensitivity-h,38196/

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm actually amazed that the discussion has been as level headed as it is.  lol  :Cant's doffing his hat to ktchong icon:  I thought it was just another provocative and simplistic thread meant to troll, but I guess I was wrong.  Happens often enough, there just isn't much surprise.

Obsidian Plays

If words don't matter at all, then the majority of human interaction is meaningless.  Of course, the vast majority of human interaction might just be meaningless.  <.>

Words don't exist in isolation, though.  Sure, take the mean as a whole, using context and other social cues.  Same goes with sentence to paragraphs and paragraphs to pages, etc. etc. etc.  ...And even expletives and the like *do* convey a meaning.  Of course, like context, the tone of the words makes a huge difference.  Body language makes a huge difference.  That's why communicating in  writing often takes a lot more finesse, or least a different finesse, than communicating in person.  You can smile when you say 'jackass' which softens it and makes it friendlier.  Of course, to mimic this, online forums have emoticons.  <. :cant making a point icon:>

I guess it comes down to 'can you identify the speaker's intention or not ?'. If the intention is not to offend then I don't think there are any words that should be 'off limits'. It gets problematic when you are adressing a larger public audience because then the subtext, the 'inside joke' can't really be assumed to be shared. 

I recall something from a grammar course years ago that actually made sense

http://grammar.about.com/od/rs/g/speechactterm.htm

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'm actually amazed that the discussion has been as level headed as it is.  lol  :Cant's doffing his hat to ktchong icon:  I thought it was just another provocative and simplistic thread meant to troll, but I guess I was wrong.  Happens often enough, there just isn't much surprise.

Oh it probably started out that way. The thread title is either certainly meant to incite or was written by a genuine racist. I'd wager the former is true. But just about any trolling attempt can be circumvented with reasonable discussion.

• Like 1

Oby hasn't showed up yet. Don't worry, he won't let us down.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

one wonders if you would be able to do so if were teaching in oakland... or if you were speaking at a pta meeting.

HA! Good Fun! 

I get a surprising amount of Asian slurs in my area, although in 7th grade it is still pretty innocent.

For many years the students referred to the three different levels of math at our school as white math (low) Chinese math (regular) and Indian math (advanced).  It was hard not to chuckle a bit at the fact that the white kids were our low performers.

HA! Good Fun! 

I get a surprising amount of Asian slurs in my area, although in 7th grade it is still pretty innocent.

For many years the students referred to the three different levels of math at our school as white math (low) Chinese math (regular) and Indian math (advanced).  It was hard not to chuckle a bit at the fact that the white kids were our low performers.

Please explain the comedic element of that.

So what are you **** complaining about again? People being ****? Stop being a bunch of faggots because of some words might invoke ungoodfeels on certain people. **** them and their pansy-ass feelings. Just kill yourselves already.

^I will never say the line above outside of this forum or in front of friends. I am not a sailor and i think being cordial and respectful to others is something that should be expected. But you will never see me trying to shut someone up because of such phrase of words. No one should. 

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy