Well, we have already a huge amount  of threads about the gameplay or music, so i wanted to create one specifically for the ART side of PoE.

Important: All is based on what we've seen till now (Beta, Pax panels, streams, etc.)

WHAT I LIKE: 

-ENVIRONMENTS: Lovely areas, the backgrounds are full of details. The 2d choice was absolutely worth, places like Raedric's Hold or the Dragon arena look pretty epic and charming, Wilderness areas look intriguing and interiors are amazing and ultra-detailed too: Inns, Dungeons, even small places like the Manor within the stronghold courtyard. 

Also, one thing that most people probably won't notice: butterflies, insects, fireflies at night (love them, more please!!!!) add a lot to the scenery.

2jecygm.jpg

2lx8o7d.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-UI ARTI like all parts of the interface: I like how the world map is painted, and i absolutely love the wood, stone and paper feeling almost everywhere, well done.

14uaxqd.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-SOME PORTRAITS I have to say companions portraits are ALL good and some of the standard portraits (for example godlike women) are excellent too.

124en39.jpg

iykc9k.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-SCRIPTED SEQUENCES: They are simple but efficient because of the pen&paper feeling they communicate: +1 to the atmosphere.

1znr521.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT I FIND ABOUT THE AVERAGE:

-ANIMATIONS: Lot of people complained about the animations, expecially on combat; well, I don't know what they expected but i find them good for this kind of game, the 3d models allowed them to be a lot smoother compared to the IE games, where 2d sprites characters had really choppy animations.

-ITEMS, ARMORS, WEAPONS, ETC.: We have some classic stuff, nothing special but fair enough for a fantasy setting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT I DISLIKE:

-SOME PORTRAITS: The amamuas are quite disturbing for example (but i guess that was the intent), and some elves (both male and female) are poorly ispired and look cheap. 

eqqcck.png

x5wdtz.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-TOO BRIGHT NIGHTS: Nightime in this game seems too bright imho; If you take places like the Stormwall gorge or Defiance Bay for example, the palette colour is too light-blue and there is no darkness at all: this doesn't help to feel the right night atmosphere.

2r6zi2a.jpg

2i0y3a.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only area i've seen so far to have a perfect dark-blue palette and the right darkness at night is the Dyrford village in the 435 beta build; would be an huge improvement to have all night environments like that.

ojpa2a.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And, what about you, guys?

Edited by Mazisky

I love the backdrops, most portraits (though I agree with you that some are subpar ), and all spell, ability, and inventory icons.

I know some may disagree, but honestly I like character and monster models too.

In general, this game looks pretty bad ass.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

There will always be some picky people that complain about some details. Personally i believe they could have done better and more lively combat animations but considering it was a first project on this engine and basically also a learninf experience while in constrained and fairly small budget, I can live with that.

Also, one thing that most people probably won't notice: butterflies, insects, fireflies at night (love them, more please!!!!) add a lot to the scenery.

YES! Surely I would notice that... after all I made a ridiculous request for those long time ago, and voila ;)

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63145-small-suggestions-easily-implemented-ideas-quickfire-thoughts/page-18?do=findComment&comment=1380633

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

the art style in this game is probably the thing I think they got almost perfect.

the moment  I ran over the bridge and into Dyrford village and saw the waterwheel and the buildings, I was so happy with how this game looked. 

Oh sorry man, i thought u was referring to the "hood", it was a language misanderstanding, my bad.

Yes, the cape seems bugged and it needs to stay at the same height of the shoulders, or maybe a bit under.

Edited by Mazisky

The problem is - where the cape needs to attach depends on whether the character is wearing armor or not and what suit of armor they are wearing - it changes per suit.

They probably have to manually position it for every suit of armor or something lol x_x

That hood is one smexy hood, though.

Makes me even sadder that godlikes can't have helmets and such. D:

Be honest, it's not the hood; it is that mouth and thoose lips.

Edited by Mazisky

The portrait is missing the extreme lights and darks. Its what gives it is glossy glow. Since you can provide your own portrait, it's not big of a deal.

For me, the leveling forest background doesn't fit PoE art style. Its too cartoony and looks like a fairytale.

Also, I don't like the patterns they use on the sidebar when opening dialog. The cross patterns are simple looking and boring to look at. I hope that gets replaced with a more elegant look.

P. S that anon portrait looks nice. A good example of using lights and darks.

Edited by ryukenden

The portrait is missing the extreme lights and darks. Its what gives it is glossy glow. Since you can provide your own portrait, it's not big of a deal.

For me, the leveling forest background doesn't fit PoE art style. Its too cartoony and looks like a fairytale.

Also, I don't like the patterns they use on the sidebar when opening dialog. The cross patterns are simple looking and boring to look at. I hope that gets replaced with a more elegant look.

P. S that anon portrait looks nice. A good example of using lights and darks.

Cartoony? i don't think so. Original Sin has cartoony forests, not PoE.

And the fairy tale effect is typical of fantasy forests, unless there is a superdark setting (Diablo, Dark soul)

Edited by Mazisky

This isn't really feedback related but here's one of those anonymous portraits that Bobby Null was talking about

11008002_380961042094722_459828726_n.jpg

Yeh, looking bad ass. Pretty much everything in the screenshot. :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

As far as art critique goes they may have the best floors in a game I've played, I love the water in the environments. Although, I really wish they'd have some more environments where there was a change in elevation so the foreground may be a cliff or plateau (spelling?) And the background were rolling waves coming in below. Or your crossing bridges fighting enemies with huge waterfalls coming down vertically in the background.

Also the beds seem too squarish shaped vs rectangular and too hard. I hope they retouch the art to make them look soft.

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade

As far as art critique goes they may have the best floors in a game I've played, I love the water in the environments. Although, I really wish they'd have some more environments where there was a change in elevation so the foreground may be a cliff or plateau (spelling?) And the background were rolling waves coming in below. Or your crossing bridges fighting enemies with huge waterfalls coming down vertically in the background.

Also the beds seem too squarish shaped vs rectangular and too hard. I hope they retouch the art to make them look soft.

I think it is almost impossible to do it on a 2d engine.

Diablo 3 accomplished that perfectly but it is almost full 3d.

• Like 1

Nah, it's totally doable. Think of how they do matte paintings. Or maybe you're unaware, basically everything is done with little sections composited together which give the illusion that it's together in one scene, but it might be 3-10 sections strategically placed so it blends together. Most films use this technique and the actor's are just standing on the foreground on a green screen, yet you think they're on top of a mountain or a ship for example. In fact in the very first video Josh showed us the scene of the characters running across riverbed and had the waterfall in the background, yet they pulled away and everything was just a 2d plane with another 2d plane on top. It's a very similar technique.

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade