Will we be able to save/import/export characters?

First of all, what does it being logical have to do with anything? You seem to be only concerned with arguing over something that is entirely subjective. Simply put, who cares? You've brought no information of value to a perfectly legitimate question that I've asked. If you don't know the answer, that's fine. However, the fact that you're trying to "prove me wrong" based on your opinion of whether or not what I want out of this option is logical is completely ridiculous.

It's being logical has to do with whether or not it is logical. I fail to comprehend why you keep putting the word "logic" in quotes, as if its existence is questionable. Logic is not subjective. Also, I said "for what that's worth." The only reason I even observed that in the first place is because you, yourself, questioned our characters "vanishing into nothing" by not warping back to the beginning of the game for a New Game + run.

My initial response was merely that that isn't really strange or unnatural -- our characters only persevering into the future of the game world (the expansion or sequel) -- but that New Game + is still a fun game mode that could totally be included in this game.

Ever since then, you've vehemently disagreed with me, as if you need to somehow defend your desire to want this in the game. Something I never even questioned. The only remaining thing you could be worried about (that we both mentioned) is the logic of your character accumulating items and effects from a whole narrative, then somehow warping back to the start of it all to do it all over again, with all of those accumulations remaining.

So, I felt the need to clarify that, while that's a blatant game-world continuity disaster, it's still a fun option in games.

I don't comprehend how you can disagree with that, and simultaneously not care whether or not it makes sense.

I could be wrong, but I get the feeling you're reading my toneless text with an assumed tone of malice, which is why you've decided I'm trying to "prove you wrong," or that this is somehow about you and your desire for this feature. It is not my intention to beat you at anything, and I don't think it was necessary to retaliate against me by pretending I'm seemingly trying to make 17 other points that no one cares about, or by telling me how pointless my posts are. That isn't very kind.

If you simply believe that it does make sense to have Xarneth's Unique Axe when you first encounter Xarneth in a story, then I'm interested in why you believe that, so that I may further my own understanding of things, rather than just assuming I know everything in the universe already. And if you don't believe that, then I cannot find anything upon which we disagree (or have disagreed upon this whole time).

That said, even though it easily can be "logical", it doesn't need to be. Whether or not it is continues to be completely irrelevant. This thread is about whether or not this option that's in many other games (and therefore completely justifiable) is in this game. That is all I need from this community, not your opinion on whether or not the option can be justified from a perspective of logic.

See, you've set a double standard, here. You're dismissing my analysis on the subject with "this thread is just a yes or no question," while you've shared your own analysis on the feature (as opposed to merely asking if it will be in the game). It's not possible for anything but an answer to the question to be irrelevant, AND for your analysis to be relevant while mine is not.

Things like this confuse me, and I feel the need to request clarification.

Edited by Lephys

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I only brought "logic" into the equation because you did first in so many words. My terminology regarding "vanishing in thin air" was not something I was intending to have picked apart and questioned. It was simply a spur of the moment comment expressing my disdain that there will be nothing to do with the capped character once we beat the game besides wait 2 years for an expansion. What was "unkind" was you invading my thread to pick apart what I said even though it had nothing to do with my original question.

In any case, I apologize if I led you to believe I was mad at you, this isn't the case. In fact, we seem to agree on all the key issues that we've been talking about and that being the case, the argument was indeed in vain.

I presented no double standard whatsoever. I shared my analysis on the fact that the feature itself is justifiable for a number of reasons, but either way that's inconsequential by virtue of the fact that it was a staple feature of every single game that PoE is based on.  My points in all of my posts revolved around the following:

1. This is a feature I want: Fact

2. This feature is included in all games PoE is based on, and thus, is perfectly justifiable: Fact

3. This feature is logically feasible, but even if it weren't, it doesn't really matter anyway as everyone will play as they will: Fact

The only instance where a logical anomaly comes into place is the situation you suggested whereby you encounter an item you already have. This is easily rectified by simply turning a blind eye to the matter, or if it really bothers the player, simply starting the game with standard equipment. Either way, this isn't the point and has no place in this thread.

I got a little defensive because your first post included a (seemingly) rude sarcasm followed by cherry picking one thing that I said and calling me on it for no reason. It seemed like you were trying to argue with me. If I misunderstood your intention (which it seems I might have), I apologize. Your posts just came off as snobby and condescending. That may have been me just jumping the gun.

TLDR: This argument is stupid by virtue of the fact that we don't actually disagree on anything.

Be well and I hope you enjoy the game. 

Edited by Baron_Bathory
  • Like 1

We will not be supporting character export/import at ship. It is something that we could look into for a patch or possibly the expansion.

Ah that's disappointing. May I put a request on the record for this to be included in the future.

Thanks a bunch for the reply, sorry for double post.

• Like 1

As far as I know, we haven't heard anything about a feature like this, so I highly doubt anything of the sort will be in the game. Lobby enough and it might make it into the expansion (or even a patch).

Not that I really care for the option - I'd rather replay with another character, with different stats and other dialog options.

What I would like to see is the ability to export a character, and being able to hire 'em through the Adventurer's Hall. Same restrictions would apply to normal hires. (Level of Main Character -1) They'd be stripped from any plot powers (if an exported Main Character), and probably have their gear replaced by generic level-appropriate versions.

Still, the ability to hire pre-made Adventurers by others (or yourself) would be really cool. Have it in a package that includes the portrait, too.

Yes!

Or, every Adventurer's Hall Companion you make gets "saved" as a pre-generated character, and as you play a second time, you could quick-hire them or even be able to upload AH companions and maybe even be able to add a short brief biography/history to the character too, to create some online interactivity and even give AH companions some more soul.

In simplicity: Create a character, copy/note all attributes, background and cultures, class and race etc. Make a thread, flesh out biographies in the forum text-software.

Old story/repeat: I bought Icewind Dale (thinking it was a hotseat multiplayer game judging by the back of the box haha), but it wasn't... so I was fairly disappointed when me and my friends couldn't play it on one computer haha. But they made a character each, and we played a little bit together. They fleshed out the biographies with their own stories, and that party is probably the most fun I've had with any party in any of the Infinity Engine games.

@Baron_Bathory: The reason why I suggested you to use a Savegame Editor was that you get the same effect as Export/Import with it.

1) Play a game to Level 12 (Max level), before finishing it, save your game.

2) Start a new game, make whatever character (it doesn't matter*). Save the game when it starts.

3) Modify all values to have the same values as your Level 12 character in a Savegame Editor.

* Depends on how advanced the Savegame Editor (being able to change name, class, race and so on?).

• Like 1

As far as I know, we haven't heard anything about a feature like this, so I highly doubt anything of the sort will be in the game. Lobby enough and it might make it into the expansion (or even a patch).

Not that I really care for the option - I'd rather replay with another character, with different stats and other dialog options.

What I would like to see is the ability to export a character, and being able to hire 'em through the Adventurer's Hall. Same restrictions would apply to normal hires. (Level of Main Character -1) They'd be stripped from any plot powers (if an exported Main Character), and probably have their gear replaced by generic level-appropriate versions.

Still, the ability to hire pre-made Adventurers by others (or yourself) would be really cool. Have it in a package that includes the portrait, too.

Yes!

Or, every Adventurer's Hall Companion you make gets "saved" as a pre-generated character, and as you play a second time, you could quick-hire them or even be able to upload AH companions and maybe even be able to add a short brief biography/history to the character too, to create some online interactivity and even give AH companions some more soul.

In simplicity: Create a character, copy/note all attributes, background and cultures, class and race etc. Make a thread, flesh out biographies in the forum text-software.

Old story/repeat: I bought Icewind Dale (thinking it was a hotseat multiplayer game judging by the back of the box haha), but it wasn't... so I was fairly disappointed when me and my friends couldn't play it on one computer haha. But they made a character each, and we played a little bit together. They fleshed out the biographies with their own stories, and that party is probably the most fun I've had with any party in any of the Infinity Engine games.

@Baron_Bathory: The reason why I suggested you to use a Savegame Editor was that you get the same effect as Export/Import with it.

1) Play a game to Level 12 (Max level), before finishing it, save your game.

2) Start a new game, make whatever character (it doesn't matter*). Save the game when it starts.

3) Modify all values to have the same values as your Level 12 character in a Savegame Editor.

* Depends on how advanced the Savegame Editor (being able to change name, class, race and so on?).

That sounds really interesting! I may try it. It would be nice to not have to resort to using a third party program to do it, but meh. 

Thanks for the tip! :D

@Baron_Bathory:

I'm not calling you on anything. I'm simply calling it. However you want to look at it or value it, a unique individual deja-vuing an entire adventure is the complete opposite of any kind of consistency. There is no "Yeah but." There is no trick point, hiding behind that one. It's just an observation. It doesn't make you wrong, unless your point is the exact opposite of that. Which I don't believe it is.

I apologize for being frustrating, but you seemed to be suggesting earlier on in the thread that it'd be weird for our unique, individual characters to do anything but warp back to the starting point of the whole adventure and begin it anew while retaining their exact status in all things, including those factors directly effected by the adventure that they're about to mulligan.

You were not, which I now know. I'm sorry for not-knowing from the get-go, and I mean you no ill-will, nor do I desire to argue for argument's sake.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

How about character sheet exporting, not for use in the game but rather for sharing online?

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

• 2 weeks later...

We will not be supporting character export/import at ship. It is something that we could look into for a patch or possibly the expansion.

do it! lvl my toon up then export to start again to solo or play on a higher diffconty is my fav part of bg and iwd. it such a simpal and key feature, even obsidian's own nwn2 have it and it was great. this is the only reason i till haven't bought the game yet.

Hoping and wishing for export/import possibilities in a patch soon.

Was gutted to see that this wasn`t in the original game. My most beloved feature from the Baldurs Gate series. I remember replaying Baldurs Gate 10 times just to get attribute-books and better equipment each time. Yes, having reached the level-cap and on the 10th playthough having 20 in all stats made you overpowered, but thats what I liked. To benefit from previous playthrough, even getting gains after you played through the game several times with the different attribute-books, and being overpowered and watching enemies you hit explode.

Please implement the import/export feature in the game, it`s the most important feature for me for replayability. Attribute books is the second most important thing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping and wishing for export/import possibilities in a patch soon.

Was gutted to see that this wasn`t in the original game. My most beloved feature from the Baldurs Gate series. I remember replaying Baldurs Gate 10 times just to get attribute-books and better equipment each time. Yes, having reached the level-cap and on the 10th playthough having 20 in all stats made you overpowered, but thats what I liked. To benefit from previous playthrough, even getting gains after you played through the game several times with the different attribute-books, and being overpowered and watching enemies you hit explode.

Please implement the import/export feature in the game, it`s the most important feature for me for replayability. Attribute books is the second most important thing.

Your post perfectly describes my feelings about this matter.

Hopefully, our wish will be granted soon, hehe. :)

• 1 month later...

With the new expansion announced, does this mean it will include import/export? There was multi classing and import/export that kept bugging me, stopping me from buying.

• Like 2