Will we be able to save/import/export characters?

Heya!

Just curious if we will be able to save our characters with current level/equipment and restart the game to explode our enemies even harder than before?

Also will this game be soloable? My personal belief is first playthrough should always be with a party. But the thought of an uber powerful character chunking all enemy comers Irenicus style is just too good to pass up. My sorcerer solo in BG2 was probably one of the most awesome gaming experiences and I really want to relive that.

Any thoughts?

• Like 2

I don't think a new game plus type of thing is in the game, I might be wrong though.

The game should be soloable, although is not balanced around that. As a curiosity, there's an achievment in the steam version for beating the game solo, with iron man mode activated, and in the path of the damned difficulty (think of it as the PoE version of Heart of Fury from Icewind Dale)

Edited by Miquel93
  • Like 1

@Miquel93

hmmm I don't see why we wouldn't be able to re-use our created characters, this was a staple feature of nearly all the I.E. games.

Oh I know full well it's not "balanced" for solo play, neither were any of the I.E. games. That however didn't stop thousands from doing it, and it didn't stop it from being a blast. Can't wait to read about some insane solo poverty runs. 

Thanks for the info! Let me know if you hear anything else.

Can I import my BG character?

Who says the Bhaalspawn couldn't reincarnate in another world. ;)

hahaha could you imagine?  I AM THE ALL POWERFUL 21/21/21 FIGHTER/MAGE/CLERIC IN A WORLD OF MAX LEVEL 12s! BOW TO MY TIMESTOP>IMPROVED ALACRITY> 4X HORRID WILTING AND DIE!

Anyhow I was more referring to being able to export your character in the endgame and restart the game with his current level and equipment, not necessarily cross game importing which at this point obviously won't be possible.

Thanks again everyone.

Haven't seen any sort of indication or indicator for this.

When/If there's a Savegame Editor, knock yourself out :)

EDIT: Bester made one (a prototype) for an old Backer Beta update (doesn't work no more).

That's so strange and weird... So every new game has to be a completely different character starting from scratch? Half of the endgame fun is restarting with a familiar and powerful character. We must be missing something here...

That's a pretty old screenshot (January 14th 2014). That PC Gamer article is from January 16th 2014.

I couldn't see the Records screen in either PAX East or PAX South but here it is from Josh Sawyers stream, January 2015 (I did hover over the timeline on those videos quickly so I'm not 100% certain).

4:41 on Aloth.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

Starting a new game with a new character is strange and weird?  :p

lol nice :p

Well no, but not being able to start a new game with the same character absolutely is. This game is the spiritual successor of the 8 legendary infinity RPGs, all of which you can save your character and start a new game with him/her (not sure if you can do this in Torment or not), I can't believe that not including this option is even in question. That's a huge part of the replayability factor gone.

Can we get an answer from one of the Devs on this? I can't believe more people don't care about this issue. After we beat the game, our character vanishes in thin air never to be heard from again. That's ludicrous from the standards of this type of game. Answers please.

Thanks all :D

Well no, but not being able to start a new game with the same character absolutely is. This game is the spiritual successor of the 8 legendary infinity RPGs, all of which you can save your character and start a new game with him/her (not sure if you can do this in Torment or not), I can't believe that not including this option is even in question. That's a huge part of the replayability factor gone.

Can we get an answer from one of the Devs on this? I can't believe more people don't care about this issue. After we beat the game, our character vanishes in thin air never to be heard from again. That's ludicrous from the standards of this type of game. Answers please.

Part of a game's replayability, sure. But a "huge" part of it, I seriously doubt it.

Usually when I reload a dwarven barbarian or an elven sorceress, with 161k.xp, to start in Baldur's Gate 1, I just quickly slaughter Elvenhair before Gorion finger-of-death me abruptly. I really don't see how it'd be any fun, more than a couple of minutes, to load an OP character from start in these games. Though I don't say it's impossible to, I just don't see how it'd be so.

It had a purpose in IWD I guess, with Heart of Fury and all that.

However that doesn't mean the character vanishes in thin air at the end of the game. As someone wrote it, it's pretty obvious the devs have a sequel in mind in which it'd be possible to import the character from PoE 1, with the same char sheet.

• Like 1

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

So, your character not-hopping into a DeLorean and heading back to the beginning of the adventure, only to murder his past self and assume control of his identity, is the equivalent of "my character vanishes into thin air, never to be heard from again"? If you can continue with the same character into the expansion and/or sequel game, then he doesn't vanish into thin air. You can load up your last save game, before the point-of-no-return spot, and jog about doing whatever you want. Your character didn't go anywhere. There's just no further time written for the world of Eora, past the end of the game.

Don't get me wrong. New Game+ mode is fun, but you're acting like it's nonsensical for your character to do anything other than time travel.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Part of a game's replayability, sure. But a "huge" part of it, I seriously doubt it.

Usually when I reload a dwarven barbarian or an elven sorceress, with 161k.xp, to start in Baldur's Gate 1, I just quickly slaughter Elvenhair before Gorion finger-of-death me abruptly. I really don't see how it'd be any fun, more than a couple of minutes, to load an OP character from start in these games. Though I don't say it's impossible to, I just don't see how it'd be so.

It had a purpose in IWD I guess, with Heart of Fury and all that.

However that doesn't mean the character vanishes in thin air at the end of the game. As someone wrote it, it's pretty obvious the devs have a sequel in mind in which it'd be possible to import the character from PoE 1, with the same char sheet.

I suppose it's a matter of opinion then, and I totally disagree. For me, reloading characters was super fun, especially when it was a Godly team of all alumni characters. Also the expansion/sequel probably won't be out for another 1-2+ years, at this point it's pretty irrelevant.

Thanks for the reply anyhow.

• Like 1

So, your character not-hopping into a DeLorean and heading back to the beginning of the adventure, only to murder his past self and assume control of his identity, is the equivalent of "my character vanishes into thin air, never to be heard from again"? If you can continue with the same character into the expansion and/or sequel game, then he doesn't vanish into thin air. You can load up your last save game, before the point-of-no-return spot, and jog about doing whatever you want. Your character didn't go anywhere. There's just no further time written for the world of Eora, past the end of the game.

Don't get me wrong. New Game+ mode is fun, but you're acting like it's nonsensical for your character to do anything other than time travel.

Not acting like anything of the sort. It's a huge thing for me though. I like having fun, relaxing, blowing up enemies time after I beat the game. Hell, even original Nintendo games gave you some perk once you beat the game and it restarted after the credits.

As stated, the expansion is years away and is irrelevant at this point in time.

I'm surprised more don't share my opinion here. I guess we'll see when the game comes out.

Edited by Baron_Bathory
  • Like 1

The expansion isn't irrelevant when you're commenting on character persistence. There is nothing inherently normal about a character "persisting" into an alternate timeline (a new game), while there is something inherently normal about a character persisting into a later event or narrative (aka, an expansion/sequel).

As stated, there's nothing wrong with simply desiring to start a new game with the instance of your character from the end of the game. That is not somehow "correct" or lacking in strangeness, though, when it comes to character continuity.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

The expansion isn't irrelevant when you're commenting on character persistence. There is nothing inherently normal about a character "persisting" into an alternate timeline (a new game), while there is something inherently normal about a character persisting into a later event or narrative (aka, an expansion/sequel).

As stated, there's nothing wrong with simply desiring to start a new game with the instance of your character from the end of the game. That is not somehow "correct" or lacking in strangeness, though, when it comes to character continuity.

I understand your point and respect your opinion. But I strongly disagree. There is a reason that nearly every single RPG of this nature (NWN, BG, IWD, KoTOR, JE, DA, etc.) had this option, and it is because it served an important role. Most RPGs have a similar concept, albeit in a different form, in their respective games. Obviously hundreds of game developers and thousands of fans agree, or this option never would have existed in the first place.

There are hundreds of ways to justify the event logically that don't include time travel or an alternate timeline. Perhaps the levelled character was already that powerful before the events of that game and the events that unfolded as he levelled never actually happened.

In any case, whether or not you agree is irrelevant and this argument is insipid. It is a personal reward for me personally. If nothing else, it's a convenience to not have to recreate a character if I want to play through the game with the same one. My only point here is that this option is available in almost every game that this game claims to be the spiritual successor of, that is 100% fact.

Moving on, does anyone have any factual information regarding whether you can export characters and import them in a new game? 

Edited by Baron_Bathory
  • Like 1

I understand your point and respect your opinion. But I strongly disagree. There is a reason that nearly every single RPG of this nature (NWN, BG, IWD, KoTOR, JE, DA, etc.) had this option, and it is because it served an important role. Most RPGs have a similar concept, albeit in a different form, in their respective games. Obviously hundreds of game developers and thousands of fans agree, or this option never would have existed in the first place.

There are hundreds of ways to justify the event logically that don't include time travel or an alternate timeline. Perhaps the levelled character was already that powerful before the events of that game and the events that unfolded as he levelled never actually happened.

In any case, whether or not you agree is irrelevant and this argument is insipid. It is a personal reward for me personally. If nothing else, it's a convenience to not have to recreate a character if I want to play through the game with the same one. My only point here is that this option is available in almost every game that this game claims to be the spiritual successor of, that is 100% fact.

Moving on, does anyone have any factual information regarding whether you can export characters and import them in a new game.

You have a very polite and friendly debating style

I like it. Please stay on the forums :).

• Like 1

I understand your point and respect your opinion. But I strongly disagree.

Then I do not comprehend what it is you disagree with. It doesn't seem like you understand my point, because you keep "disagreeing," then seemingly providing the reasoning for that disagreement as being things such as:

When I've not debated the fact that oodles of other games have had this feature, nor have I debated the fact that it's nice/pleasant from a player's perspective, I don't understand how you disagree with me when your "only point" is not in contest with anything I've said.

The only thing you seem to be disagreeing on is that warping the exact same character from the end of a game to the beginning of the exact same game is somehow entirely sound and logical. I'm not saying we can't do it unless it's logical. It simply isn't logical. "Hey, I got this Xarveth's Great Axe that I'm jogging around with. There's only one in the whole world, and it's unique to Xarveth. Oh look! It's Xarveth! And he's got his one-and-only great axe! I'll fight him with my totally sensical instance of that same axe! 8D!"

No, there aren't really a hundred ways to explain it without time travel, because the state of your character is the direct result of all the things he did throughout the game.

It'd be one thing to simply start with your "same character" at a higher, and with some starting gold or something. Or better starting equipment. But, starting over with your exact character state from the end of the game makes as much narrative sense as starting the game with the stronghold in your ownership, then getting to the point in the game where you take over the stronghold, but you somehow already own it.

Again, it just doesn't make sense. This does not mean that it can't or shouldn't be a game feature.

The two are not the same point.

• Like 1

As far as I know, we haven't heard anything about a feature like this, so I highly doubt anything of the sort will be in the game. Lobby enough and it might make it into the expansion (or even a patch).

Not that I really care for the option - I'd rather replay with another character, with different stats and other dialog options.

What I would like to see is the ability to export a character, and being able to hire 'em through the Adventurer's Hall. Same restrictions would apply to normal hires. (Level of Main Character -1) They'd be stripped from any plot powers (if an exported Main Character), and probably have their gear replaced by generic level-appropriate versions.

Still, the ability to hire pre-made Adventurers by others (or yourself) would be really cool. Have it in a package that includes the portrait, too.

• Like 3

I understand your point and respect your opinion. But I strongly disagree.

Then I do not comprehend what it is you disagree with. It doesn't seem like you understand my point, because you keep "disagreeing," then seemingly providing the reasoning for that disagreement as being things such as:

When I've not debated the fact that oodles of other games have had this feature, nor have I debated the fact that it's nice/pleasant from a player's perspective, I don't understand how you disagree with me when your "only point" is not in contest with anything I've said.

The only thing you seem to be disagreeing on is that warping the exact same character from the end of a game to the beginning of the exact same game is somehow entirely sound and logical. I'm not saying we can't do it unless it's logical. It simply isn't logical. "Hey, I got this Xarveth's Great Axe that I'm jogging around with. There's only one in the whole world, and it's unique to Xarveth. Oh look! It's Xarveth! And he's got his one-and-only great axe! I'll fight him with my totally sensical instance of that same axe! 8D!"

No, there aren't really a hundred ways to explain it without time travel, because the state of your character is the direct result of all the things he did throughout the game.

It'd be one thing to simply start with your "same character" at a higher, and with some starting gold or something. Or better starting equipment. But, starting over with your exact character state from the end of the game makes as much narrative sense as starting the game with the stronghold in your ownership, then getting to the point in the game where you take over the stronghold, but you somehow already own it.

Again, it just doesn't make sense. This does not mean that it can't or shouldn't be a game feature.

The two are not the same point.

First of all, what does it being logical have to do with anything? You seem to be only concerned with arguing over something that is entirely subjective. Simply put, who cares? You've brought no information of value to a perfectly legitimate question that I've asked. If you don't know the answer, that's fine. However, the fact that you're trying to "prove me wrong" based on your opinion of whether or not what I want out of this option is logical is completely ridiculous.

It's only not logical to you because you're oversimplifying the situation. The player could easily turn a blind eye to the fact that he may encounter a game item that he already has. That is an inconsequential situation and doesn't really need any explaining. I could just leave the item where it is. Or we can take in the the form of BG 2: SoA whereby the player character starts at his exported level, but with no equipment. As said, there are hundreds of situations like this where one could justify having a more powerful character enter the game. The "logic" lies with the individual that is playing, as it has with the million other times people have exported an already levelled character into a new game with the many games I listed above.

That said, even though it easily can be "logical", it doesn't need to be. Whether or not it is continues to be completely irrelevant. This thread is about whether or not this option that's in many other games (and therefore completely justifiable) is in this game. That is all I need from this community, not your opinion on whether or not the option can be justified from a perspective of logic. 

I appreciate your input on time travel, other than that your posts are useless to this thread. Thank you for your efforts regardless.

If achievements can be unlocked with that process, they're not really achievements :p That's why games like CK2 and EU4 unlock achievements only on iron man mode.

Edited by CaptainMace

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?