Obsidian... You've done it... and I love you. Can't wait to play!

I think the game will keep me happy through nostalgia even if the storyline and gameplay do not meet what BG/IWD were. 

Either way, I welcome it to the list of these types of games I will play through and I have already booked the 26th and 27th off work to delve into the game as much as I can as soon as I can.

As someone else mentioned I am sort of glad I did not hear about this game prior to two weeks ago though. The anticipation would have killed me!

I have never done Kickstarter before but I would definitely take part substantially if these guys do make a second game.

• Like 1

Aerie's romance was pretty dark. Doesn't she end up going all borderline personality disorder on you and claim that you took advantage of her?

Install order for BG2 that worked like a charm for me.

1. BG2 complete from GoG.com: http://www.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_2_complete

2. Latest official ToB patch (version 26498) from sorcerer's place: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_misc.php

3. Latest Gibberlings 3 BG2 Fixpack: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=696

4. Latest Gibberlings 3 BG2 Tweak Pack: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=695

I've not had a single problem with this install order, and I complete every single quest in SoA & ToB. You may run into an issue where the planar prison quest doesn't leave your journal once you complete it, but whatever I didn't find it a huge problem.

Aerie's romance was pretty dark. Doesn't she end up going all borderline personality disorder on you and claim that you took advantage of her?

Install order for BG2 that worked like a charm for me.

1. BG2 complete from GoG.com: http://www.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_2_complete

2. Latest official ToB patch (version 26498) from sorcerer's place: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_misc.php

3. Latest Gibberlings 3 BG2 Fixpack: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=696

4. Latest Gibberlings 3 BG2 Tweak Pack: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=695

I've not had a single problem with this install order, and I complete every single quest in SoA & ToB. You may run into an issue where the planar prison quest doesn't leave your journal once you complete it, but whatever I didn't find it a huge problem.

Yes, she was like crazy at times. But at first, it was really lovely teenage love :p. Just be kind with her, refuse to have sex the first time, and all. Still, it's my favorite romance, since Jaheira is boring and Viconia a bit too much. Have to test Anomen's one. Never tried it, and that's a major reason why i want to play BG1 and 2 once more ;).

Well, i have many mods in my planed install (around 40 i guess), like Sword Coast Stratagems for BGT, Secret of Bonehill, Greyclan: In CandleLight, Rogue Rebalancing, the Colours of Infinity Trilogy, Tower of Deception, 1 pixel Production, BG1 NPC, UB for BG1, UB for BG2, and many many others. I think i've nearly nailed down a correct load order, but it's still a few days of work (and reading way too long and complex english readmes, which is reaaaalllly painful for me, as a french guy) before having the chance to test my full install. Don't know whether i'll finish it one day or not. Have the same problem with New vegas :p.

Edited by Abel
  • Like 1

Heh the only romance in BG2 I actually completed was Anomen's. 

You never had Aerie's brat in your backpack in ToB? :D what a miss. Legendary item perfect as a free lure when it comes to fight hungry dragons.

Ugh that's a crapload of mods lol! Don't think I've ever gone that far before. Good luck whenever you choose to take that plunge.

I've tested some of them before. They are great fun. Like the Colours of Infinity Trilogy for BG2 by Lava. You should try some of them: well writed, well balanced.

• Like 1

The Aerie romance, like so much of BG2, can be quite endearing the first time dependant upon your emotional level at the time. Despite the fact that I should've been old enough to know better, I actually enjoyed it quite a lot during my initial playthrough. Now, unfortunately, it has become something of a sacred cow for the general psuedo-disney elements of much of BG2's quests, and everyone loves to ridicule it and state that it was a blight on the game in the same way that many Star Wars fans pour scorn on episodes 1-3 while absent-mindedly neglecting to mention that Return of the Jedi was also a piece of ****.

EUPD Aerie was symptomatic of a trait of ToB that I heavily disliked; taking the very cheap notion that if you want to create new characters but also want to milk the **** off the original game, then the easiest way is to completely recharacterise the already existing ones. Aerie herself isn't even the best example of this, with some characters performing personality 180s without so much as the mildest prompt. For all of BG2's unabashed cheesiness, ToB was the only IE game that felt like I was reading bad fanfiction. I don't recall the main story being a problem, and I actively enjoyed some of the little set pieces in Watcher's Keep, but the bastardization of the characters was crude, incongruent and to the game's detriment.

Edited by Kjaamor
  • Like 1

That wasn't the only part of ToB which was messed up imo. I played ToB just 2 times, and finished it just once. For some reasons, when i finish BG2: Shadows of Amn, i don't feel like diving in ToB, even for a bit. Linear, no or few side quests and stories, all about combat, ugly item icons (yes, it was a grief of mine), too powerful stuff, too much EXP, too much combat (and not enough weak ennemies so that you felt like the whole game was level scaled), and i hated the HLA. True that ToB is better than nothing, but i miss a propre BG3. The only IE game that i felt was worse was IWD2. I never managed to get past chapter 1 because of huge writing problems (or things i felt like being so) in the main story. As an example i never could understand WHY you had to go through the ennemy's army, JUST to secure a bridge on a deeply FROZEN river to allow an allied ARMY to pass through it. Isn't it the job of an army to battle its way?? Why did this old lazy sucker of Targos had to send 6 poors weaklings to do this? And why, when it seems obvious that the iced river is steady enough to support a soldier's weight, these guys even bothered to use the bridge? If someone can explain me, please, do. Plus i didn't like the way ALL the maps were over-filled with ennemies, with (at best) just 2 poor lines of dialogue with no choices ending up with inevitable, systematic never-ending fights.

I still like Aerie today. But it is nothing near from Annah and Fall from grace from Planescape Torment... Call me silly geek, but i almost cried when, at the end of the game, i had to part ways with Annah. I somewhat felt in love with her back in the day, as much as it is possible with a 2D person.

(Actually, Return of the Jedi was my favorite Star Wars. In the second trilogy, i miss Mark Hamill. I feel that the too "in ya face" of the second trilogy blend badly with the outdated first trilogy. Too much action too, which is a problem in nearly all blockbuster films nowadays. The second trilogy was quite good, but too heavy handed imo).

• Like 1

This thread compelled me to post. Such a great story congratulations on just finding out, hope there aren't too many like you though of the advertising hasn't worked!

I backed this on kickstarter but put to the back of my mind pretty much until I saw the release date and then watched the January and pax videos. Now ridiculously excited and have the 27th booked off! Havent been so excited since skyrim release and that was a let down for me in the end.

Combat reports do worry me a bit, i. Play bg with scs installed for my infinity engine fix and love the combat there. Hopefully shouldn't be too bad and hard and varied enough to keep it interesting. Roll on the 26th!

• Like 1

There is so much that is wrong with the game and has to be corrected NAU!!1!

But looking past all our passionate nitpicking (which is all matters of life and death because we actually, genuinely care about it) - You've done it Obsidian. You've done it.

:dancing: