Obsidian... You've done it... and I love you. Can't wait to play!

Greetings all!

First post here. My name is Robby and I am a absolute nut for Infinity Engine games. For 15 years I have been waiting for another game to do justice to Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn. I just wanted it again. The characters, the story, the dialogue, the music, the corruption, the darkness, the incredible cities, buildings, and landscapes, the random hilarious moments and a million other things. I have been replaying that game constantly since it's release and I knew deep down in my heart it would probably never come again. 

All of a sudden, when it seemed all hope was lost, I posted this on BG: EE forums:

"BG2, So good it's depressing. What are we going to do about it?

Okay so this creeping and morbid reality has been clawing it's way into my mind for many things including but not limited to video games. I'm 28, getting older, and amazing things like BG2 just aren't coming out and probably never will again. What we have here are more than likely humanities greatest gaming achievements ever... It's actually super depressing... Like members of your favorite band dying of old age depressing. But hope for this particular situation is not lost.

I jumped for joy when I heard that the Legendary infinity engine games were getting revamped and redone. I reacted the same when I discovered that these games have such an incredibly large following of intelligent people who love them as much as I do, and want to spend their precious little time to tweak and develop them to make them better. 1000 praises to Black Isle, Interplay, Bioware, the modding community and the EE teams.

So what is the future? BG series + IWD1 are complete. In my opinion IWD2 is new enough that it doesn't need to be revamped. Planetscape: Torment is really the only remaining infinity engine game that needs to be redone. After that, whats next? Call me crazy but I think what we really need is...... ***ANOTHER GAME***.

Here is my vision, and I'm sure most will agree. This game must be like BG2 series without the whole son of a God thing. I like my character's power to be because of his accomplishments and skill, not heritage. 

I love the idea of Athkatla being the central hub of everything, having so much to do within the main city walls and always having a bustling familiar city to come home to. I think multiple Athkatla's will be even better across a dozen+ continents. Corruption, mafia organizations, etc. The guild war between the vamps and the shadow thieves was phenomenal. I also loved the personalities behind each leader. Aran Linvail appeared to be the weaker guild, but we very quickly found out that he had many resources available to him that Bodhi could not contend with. And his super polite, sly, and honest nature behind such a powerful man just made Aran one of my favourite characters. 

So many things just came together perfectly to make BG2 the greatest game in existence. This new game would have to mimic (but in a different way) everything that was amazing.

The game must also be 2D, no exceptions. We all saw the travesty that was NWN and I won't have any of it. Got vertigo every time I played that damn game. 

Aside from being 2D, the world must be gorgeous and pop out at you, with multiple diverse landscapes and regions. IWD series failed at this. The land was dreary, wet, dull and brutal in seemingly every area. I understand we're in the spine of the world, but in my vision and with today's technology, we can have a game that encompasses this as well. In BG2 the cities and even villages were incredible. The Harper Hold, the temples, Ust'Natha, all breathtaking. 

The game must be open concept like BG2, not linear with a few side quests here and there like IWD. There should be a boatload of quests and one should be able to reach max level and be uber unstoppable not even half past the game. We must also be able to solo the game or approach it with a party.

There must be endgame content. Once the game is finished, there should be things to do including but not limited to getting revered by the townsfolk, building your rep to such a point where one can become a king and war with other lands, etc. 

Strongholds are mandatory. There should be not one, but a few for each class across a few different lands. You should be able to acquire multiple strongholds that are appropriate for your class not unlike a F/M/C owning the De'Arnise hold, Planar Sphere, and presiding over a Temple.

Game must include multiple speed enhancing items. Nothing pisses me off more than trudging through the game pre-boots of speed.

I know I'm missing a lot of things that made these games great, but I'm sure you all get the picture. Can we expect a project like this in the future?

PRETTY PLEASE WITH BOO ON TOP!!!!!

I would totally help organize a fundraiser for this. GO BEAMDOG/OVERHAUL!!!!! :p

Don't mind my obnoxious nature, its nearing the end of the work day and I'm tired. 

Let me know what you guys think? What would make my suggestion better? etc.

Thanks!"

The reply I got was a wager that I didn't know about this new game coming out from a company that houses a throng of the original IE artists. I followed the links here and nearly had a heart attack. I can't believe it's back. A better version of BG2, on a much grander scale, and with today's technology from some of the greatest game creators in existence. 

I wish I would have known earlier, I would have pledged on Kickstarter for sure. In any case, here I am, just 2 weeks before release. I can scarcely believe it's upon us. Thank you to everyone who made this possible. I made myself a promise that if anyone can create a game to do the infinity engine justice, I'd pay 100 bucks for it. I kept my promise. I just purchased the Royal Edition on GoG last night, and I CAN NOT WAIT to play.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!

1000 Praises to Obsidian and all affiliated individuals.

I'll be making a few more posts as I have a load of questions, I had to get this off my chest first.

Farewell,

- Robby

• Like 16

I'm right there with you Robby.Just heard within the last month or so about the game and also wish I had helped on kickstater.Since then I have read and reread and watched hours of playthu BB videos.Almost all my gaming thoughts are centered on tackling this beautiful beast of a game!

• Like 2

"Very well permit me on this night. To break your hearts once more. This is the story of the Chain of Dogs. Of Coltaine of the Crow Clan, newly come fist to the 7th Army"- Duiker:Memories of Ice

While we still need to wait and see if, and in what ways this is 

A better version of BG2, on a much grander scale

, I understand your happy surprise when learning about this game. I only found out about this game a month or 3 ago myself too and can't wait to play it! I think I have pretty realistic expectations, so I'd be surprised if I will not enjoy this one!

• Like 1

Hopefully there will be more reactions like this once the game releases and euphoric review scores to mirror that.

If so, one could dream of a bright RPG future, with a big juicy PoE expansion and a even larger PoE 2 followup!

• Like 5

Of course, Obsidian is best equipped to deal with the crpg world today. Who else? Bethesda? Please. BioWare? They brought stupid companions to us all. This will be the age of mutants Obsidian !

More seriously, don't let the hype obstruct your sight friend. Let it flow, and be prepared for everything. Bisous.

• Like 2

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

I smiled while reading this. :)

Who didnt? :)

More seriously, don't let the hype obstruct your sight friend. Let it flow, and be prepared for everything. Bisous.

Trying not to let the hype blind me. 

I think its pretty safe to say that PoE, with or without IE mod, has captured enough of the feels to be highly enjoyable even if it is flawed. Given that BG 2 was flawed here and there, and we could happily ignore that. 

I mean, we pretty much know that the game is large, beautiful, has great music, IE-like classes, races, stats, inventory etc, has really good writing etc. It is known. And yeah, combat is wonky, that is also known, but it is far from unplayable.

• Like 1

Now just wait until this guy finds out about Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera, not to mention the fact that WL2 is out and he should have time to finish it before Pillars is released. :V

• Like 1

Fnord.

In a way, I'm very jealous of you, OP. Some of us have been waiting for this 2-3 years, ever since we heard it first announced and kickstarted, and the wait has been so very long. I think for me it would have been a really great feeling if one day I wake up and out of the blue I find out that something like Pillars of Eternity is coming out in just a couple of weeks!

Either way, we all hope PoE will deliver. After all I've seen about the game, the only thing that could really ruin it is gamebreaking bugs. Speaking of which, just in the last year bugs almost destroyed my fun in otherwise very good games like BG2:EE, Wasteland 2 and Blackguards 2. Bugs are not a small issue, and here's hoping Obsidian will nail it.

Edited by Emerwyn
  • Like 1

Optimism for breakfast, disappointment for lunch, and a hearty slice of grim realisation for your evening meal.

heh. So true...

EDIT: It's not so bad though.

A better version of BG2

Change your expectations or you will be having the course Kjaamor predicts. PoE is not a continuation of the IE games. It's not better or worse; it's different.

Edited by Namutree
  • Like 2

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Eternity is essentially the game I've been waiting for since I first registered on these boards more than eleven years ago.

That's a lot of expectations to manage. And I'm pumped.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Hello Robby, great to see the hype! A few things you might not know.

The game will be shorter than BG 2, but longer than BG 1, if you count the number of areas. So bigger than BG 2, nope, but less should do fine for this first installment. ;)

There will be fewer companions than in BG 2. They should however, judging by Obsidians past work, be deeper than the BG 2 companions. And even thou Josh has stated that it's not a humorous game, all the game footage that I have seen is buzzing with humor.

There will be 2 big cities instead of one in PoE, but both will be smaller in scope than the city of coin. So the central hub thing will likely be abit more BG 1ish. With more freedom and exploration than BG 2 offered. But less content intensity. 

The scope will probably be less grand than BG 2, since it's a mid level adventure. 

So it will be different, but it might just be the game you want! :)

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 2

hahaha great replies guys thanks a bunch.

I'm not so much concerned with PoE being everything I posted in the EE forums. That's more of a long term wish. I'm more concerned with having another legendary BG2-like game to add the the collection, and from what I have seen I think this is it.

And I totally hear the envy of me just finding out about this before release. I can't believe I completely missed any news regarding it for the past 2+ years. In one way I feel insanely lucky, but in another way I wish I could have pledged on the kickstarter campaign and helped make this possible. 

In any case, it seems to have done fine without me.

Thanks again all!

• Like 1

Change your expectations or you will be having the course Kjaamor predicts. PoE is not a continuation of the IE games. It's not better or worse; it's different.

While I appreciate Kjaamor's concern, this is not the first time we have been excited for a game before.  We know how it goes.  The overwhelming majority of the time I have been excited about a game it has not disappointed.  And besides getting a substandard game is not exactly a soul shattering grim reality.

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 3

Some have said what i wanted to say. It's not a D&D game. It's not a better BG2, it's not grander than BG2, and it's not a sequel to BG.

It's a game inspired by IE games, which name is Pillars of Eternity, meant to be a whole now saga (if all wrap up in a good way). I expect it to be really like Pillars of Eternity, not like Baldur's Gate. Still, it's my most anticipated game since 2013, too ;). If you saw some gameplay, you may feel a great BG vibe, though. Here is the last PAX video, if you have not seen it already:

there is gameplay at 10'36''. Thx to the uploader.

EDIT: If there is a PoE2, and if it is kickstarted, you'll have another opportunity i guess ;)

Edited by Abel
  • Like 2

Oh I'm fully aware the game is not affiliated with D&D, BG, or IE in any way, shape, or form. I still feel it is, as advertised, a spiritual successor which is really all I'm after. I'm actually kind of happy Wizards is not involved. As Sawyer stated, this allowed them a lot more flexibility to make the game a little darker and adult oriented than its predecessors. 

Great video by the way!

Oh I'm fully aware the game is not affiliated with D&D, BG, or IE in any way, shape, or form. I still feel it is, as advertised, a spiritual successor which is really all I'm after. I'm actually kind of happy Wizards is not involved. As Sawyer stated, this allowed them a lot more flexibility to make the game a little darker and adult oriented than its predecessors. 

Great video by the way!

Wut? Aerie's romance was really adult oriented no? :lol: (there was even S** involved! :wub: )

Still... I miss you Aerie. I wish i had the courage to fail another moded  install of BGT. Want to play BG again, but this install is a pain in the ass.

• Like 1