And now a sneek peek at the Making of PoE Documentary

Eh... a million is a lot for a smallish game without a real advertising budget.

A lot of people keep saying this. As if PoE is just another one of those little, under-the-radar games, being released by some indie studio no one's ever heard of. You all are underestimating....everything.

It's far more accurate to say that PoE happens to be the next RPG..... from the same company that gave us Fallout New Vegas, and South Park Stick of truth. It's also accurate to say that advertising budget or not, the game has gotten an unusual (almost disproportionate) amount of press coverage over the past 2 years. Far more than the Kickstarters it's being compared to (D:OS, Wasteland 2) So it's fairly safe to assume it's going to sell more than both of those games, and it's going to do it quicker.

Edited by Stun
  • Like 4

My guess for the cancelled project would be the Wheel of Time game. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Obsidian had a licence to make one based on the Robert Jordan series, but that it was canned.

Noooo! Why! That would've been AWESOME!

The only existing Wheel of Time game I know of is just a glorified shooter that doesn't make much use of the lore. It was fun... in a standalone fashion. But... A Wheel of Time RPG? I'm waiting on someone to make a film or miniseries or something, at the very least. Not like... Michael Bay. But, you know, someone who might actually do it justice.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Really good stuff there...and humbling, and sad and touching. Really glad I am a backer for this one even though I would have backed it anyway simply because Obisidian makes great RPGs. I would love to watch the documentary before playing PoE, though. It would make the whole experience more insightful.

My guess for the cancelled project would be the Wheel of Time game. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Obsidian had a licence to make one based on the Robert Jordan series, but that it was canned.

It wasn't.

IIRC the WoT project was never even funded, they'd just agreed to work on it with the WoT license owners, correct?

Correct. The license owner is a complete hack. Who does these things just to keep the licensing rights. He even funded a very small budget "pilot" for Wheel of Time series just so he could hold onto the rights for longer. So most likely the deal with Obsidian was part of his masterplan to keep the licensing rights. If he lost the rights, someone might actually do something with them and we can't have that.

Last I heard he was about sue Robert Jordan's widow into court over her statement about the so called pilot.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Eh... a million is a lot for a smallish game without a real advertising budget.

A lot of people keep saying this. As if PoE is just another one of those little, under-the-radar games, being released by some indie studio no one's ever heard of. You all are underestimating....everything.

It's far more accurate to say that PoE happens to be the next RPG..... from the same company that gave us Fallout New Vegas, and South Park Stick of truth. It's also accurate to say that advertising budget or not, the game has gotten an unusual (almost disproportionate) amount of press coverage over the past 2 years. Far more than the Kickstarters it's being compared to (D:OS, Wasteland 2) So it's fairly safe to assume it's going to sell more than both of those games, and it's going to do it quicker.

Yeah, but it's not modern (first person 3D) Fallout or South Park. I can't claim to know what the total market is for isometric 2D party-based tactical RPGs, so all I can do is compare it to recent releases in broadly the same genre. Again, I'm hopeful, but a million is a lot for this type of game.

^ Yeah, but, the lack of statistical data for a game like this over the last 15 years doesn't provide much info either way. Or, to put it another way, the fact that the market has favored all the types of games that have been in abundance doesn't really say much about the level of interest in the types of games that have not.

So, with such little info, I'm not sure how we can decide that a million is "a lot for this type of game." As compared to all the other epic cRPGs made by Obsidian over the last 15 years that didn't sell a million?

Nintendo can not-make a Zelda game for 10 years, then make another one, and people will buy the crap out of it. Or look at Starcraft II. No one was like "aww man, there haven't been many big strategy games in a while, so we don't like them anymore."

Obviously we could be surprised either way, but I feel like ignoring the fact that this is an Obsidian game, and a type of game that hasn't seen much likeness at all in the past decade-or-two, is going to leave people surprised at the number of sales, whatever that number ends up being.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Obviously we could be surprised either way, but I feel like ignoring the fact that this is an Obsidian game, and a type of game that hasn't seen much likeness at all in the past decade-or-two, is going to leave people surprised at the number of sales, whatever that number ends up being.

I'm just hoping it shows the main-stream publishers there is a market for different types of games.

Just because Doom and WoW made a lot of money doesn't mean every new game has to be an FPS or WoW clone to make money.

• Like 3

^ Me too. I wish they'd learn that. You don't have to get the WHOLE market. In fact, it's not even really normal. It's not even good for the industry, as far as creativity goes. There are a lot of people that don't pay much attention to "little" games, and the big games just sort of peg them as "weird" or "complicated," exaggeratively so. Now, I'm not saying it's not up to people to be intelligent and actually find out for themselves. But, I just... I can understand that one facet. If I hadn't really had a lot of "little" games around when I grew up, and seen how awesome and diverse they could be, I'd probably be a lot more narrow in my gaming preferences now.

But, yeah, I get how/why Farmville and Angry Birds are fun, for example. But the fact that "everyone" plays them doens't mean they're THE pinnacle of gaming. I had to laugh when over the last decade, you kept seeing articles about "Will mobile gaming make consoles and PCs obsolete?!"

There are just really, really clueless business executives out there. And I don't understand how they're so clueless.

• Like 4

^ Me too. I wish they'd learn that. You don't have to get the WHOLE market. In fact, it's not even really normal. It's not even good for the industry, as far as creativity goes. There are a lot of people that don't pay much attention to "little" games, and the big games just sort of peg them as "weird" or "complicated," exaggeratively so. Now, I'm not saying it's not up to people to be intelligent and actually find out for themselves. But, I just... I can understand that one facet. If I hadn't really had a lot of "little" games around when I grew up, and seen how awesome and diverse they could be, I'd probably be a lot more narrow in my gaming preferences now.

But, yeah, I get how/why Farmville and Angry Birds are fun, for example. But the fact that "everyone" plays them doens't mean they're THE pinnacle of gaming. I had to laugh when over the last decade, you kept seeing articles about "Will mobile gaming make consoles and PCs obsolete?!"

There are just really, really clueless business executives out there. And I don't understand how they're so clueless.

I think it's a cultural.. drift, for lack of a better word. I'm seeing this level of incompetence everywhere, these days. Back in "the good old days", it was downright uncommon that someone that was an executive hadn't worked his way up in some capacity. I usually use the now-privatized social sector (in Sweden) as an example, for example the railroads, where the higher officers and officials almost universally had worked at the lower levels and knew what was possible, what wasn't, and what could be expected.

Today, you have someone coming out from business school or something equally nonsensical, a head full of statistical analysis, and with no idea what is viable and what can be done. This is how we got trains in Sweden that doesn't function during snow storms and no set of train fits any other set of trains.

• Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

I think it's a cultural.. drift, for lack of a better word. I'm seeing this level of incompetence everywhere, these days. Back in "the good old days", it was downright uncommon that someone that was an executive hadn't worked his way up in some capacity. I usually use the now-privatized social sector (in Sweden) as an example, for example the railroads, where the higher officers and officials almost universally had worked at the lower levels and knew what was possible, what wasn't, and what could be expected.

Today, you have someone coming out from business school or something equally nonsensical, a head full of statistical analysis, and with no idea what is viable and what can be done. This is how we got trains in Sweden that doesn't function during snow storms and no set of train fits any other set of trains.

I guess we just replaced "aristocrats" with "business executives", neither of which seem to have a clue about how the things they manage actually function.

• Like 3

Well, I very sincerely hope that this works out very well for Obsidian.  They are the only ones that actually make RPGs the way that I enjoy them, and if they are successful with this, at least I won't have to worry about similar types of compelling, old-school RPGs being made into the future.  In fact, I would only be able to expect even bigger and better ones, if they can do it without the big name companies and have complete control of their artistic license. 

My dream is that Pillars is awesome, and then they do Pillars 2, which is set 300 years into the future, and is all steam/cyberpunk.  I love those genres, and would love to see Obsidian do something like that.  The only good option out there was Deus Ex, but that is more of a first-person action game in a sci-fi setting.  I want to have something like Baldur's Gate: Age of the Androids.  You could have humans, androids, robots, and even magical beings/users.  God, would that be sweet.

"1 is 1"

Probably me before I put my kids to bed.

You're suppose to read them all the game documents as a bed-time story. 8P

• Like 1

Man, who's gonna watch the documentary about the game on the day they could play the game?

Me, too. To be perfectly honest, I'm looking forward to the documentary almost as much as the game.

Man, who's gonna watch the documentary about the game on the day they could play the game?

I agree. Ditto with the Novella.

They really should have put those things up for download this week so we could....consume them while we're waiting for the main course.

• Like 2

Me, too. To be perfectly honest, I'm looking forward to the documentary almost as much as the game.

+1 to that. I am really eager to watch that documentary and only after that, play the game.

Is the 2nd part of the documentary the whole thing? I was expecting something that was a lot longer, almost a feature length thing, like maybe an hour? Can someone let us know if the thing we saw is a teaser? Next week is going to have so much to talk about, the streams, the release of the digital goodies, the documentary, the launch event on wed night, etc...