And now a sneek peek at the Making of PoE Documentary

God, I love those offices. You guys have such a friggin' amazing set-up. It's really clean and efficient.

Wait did we actually save Obsidian from shutting its doors?  Holy crap I had no idea.

No.

Um.

I feel like retelling the story of going to Obsidian after the Kickstarter. 

Because that was kind of the case. 

• Like 3

Does anyone know how I can buy the documentary separately?  I'm a kickstarter backer but not a higher tier one, on the eternity website I didn't see any addon option that mentioned the documentary, other than buying a whole new digital deluxe for $45.  Any help would be appreciated!

Man, I've rewatched it a few times and every time I get that feeling of panic that your team must've felt. Also, not sure if it was intentional, but it certainly effective to film everything almost barebones so it looked empty and minimally manned. I'm sure as it progresses the narrative will change, but there's a level of authenticity here they've managed to capture and I'm hopeful for the outcome.

I think this is something worth releasing in and of itself.  I'm sure there are plenty of players and hopeful Devs-to-be that would be interested in this insight into a Development Studio.  As a backer I'd even go so far as to say I wouldn't mind if it was free to the public, if the intention was that it wouldn't see release other than to backers (no idea what the plan is).

• Like 1

And info on which backers get it (from Update #48 - the doc was announced by Feargus in update #23):

"How do I get it?
If you already backed at the $20/$25 tier level (and Slacker Backers via PayPal thus far) and above you will be able to stream it. At the $35 tier level and above you will be able to download it, and at the $140 tier level (and physical tiers above) we will include a DVD / Blu-ray. You can still get access to the documentary stream if you donate to the project today via the Slacker Backer pledge at the Eternity website."

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

It's interesting how adept Feargus is at saying "**** publishers for screwing us over and then downrating us for the layoffs caused like it's our fault" euphemistically. He's buzzing around it like a moth around a lamplight, but never actually getting there. Obsidian still needs good relationships with publishers, they managed to stay mid-sized after the 2012 layoffs, so it's noticeable how carefully he words his opinions -- contrast this with how Brian Fargo does it, who forwent** the traditional funding model, and openly badmouths publishers. On a related note, I'm curious if Fargo'll ever regret doing so; burning bridges in business is a real thing.

I kind of understand why Feargus's the CEO among the owner-founders of Obsidian, he's charismatic and diplomatic and fast-thinking and business-savy. Great guy, it's clear that the employees like and respect him. You can't say that about a lot of companies...

** This is the first I've seen or used this word. I checked in Merriam-Webster whether forgo's simple past form is what I think it is. You learn something new every day! :)

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Does anyone know how I can buy the documentary separately?  I'm a kickstarter backer but not a higher tier one, on the eternity website I didn't see any addon option that mentioned the documentary, other than buying a whole new digital deluxe for $45.  Any help would be appreciated!

It's a wild guess but I think Paradox/Obsidian will offer the Deluxe Edition upgrades as a seperate DLC pack later. At least that would make most sense to me.

35167v4.jpg

It's interesting how adept Feargus is at saying "**** publishers for screwing us over and then downrating us for the layoffs caused like it's our fault" euphemistically. He's buzzing around it like a moth around a lamplight, but never actually getting there. Obsidian still needs good relationships with publishers, they managed to stay mid-sized after the 2012 layoffs, so it's noticeable how carefully he words his opinions -- contrast this with how Brian Fargo does it, who forwent** the traditional funding model, and openly badmouths publishers. On a related note, I'm curious if Fargo'll ever regret doing so; burning bridges in business is a real thing.

Relations between companies don't work the same way as relations between people though. He can say "f**k publishers" and strike a deal with EA tomorrow if both parties are interested. It's not like he's offending anyone.

• Like 1

Nothing gold can stay.

Relations between companies don't work the same way as relations between people though. He can say "f**k publishers" and strike a deal with EA tomorrow if both parties are interested. It's not like he's offending anyone.

I didn't mean you EA, I was talking about Ubisoft.

• Like 1

Which Brian did exactly that by making WL2 for Microsoft & Sony.

• Like 1

God, I love those offices. You guys have such a friggin' amazing set-up. It's really clean and efficient.

Wait did we actually save Obsidian from shutting its doors?  Holy crap I had no idea.

No.

Um.

I feel like retelling the story of going to Obsidian after the Kickstarter. 

Because that was kind of the case. 

You totally should. I missed that story. Also, if you met Josh Sawyer, do you think he's open to adopting a son in his mid-20's?

• Like 1

Great Video.... and great Marketing :)  My google news search today for pillars was screaming " Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter Saved Obsidian " all over the internets.

What a great way to get some mind-share 2 weeks before release :)

• Like 1

*I cried*

But seriously it does hit home a bit because I've had friends laid off in the industry and it sucks because you are powerless in that situation.

I'm glad to have backed the game and I wish I would have done more. I wonder if people would actually be opposed or mad at OE if they did another Kickstarter...I wouldn't be upset as long as they did something like match whatever the people raised....for example lets say they kickstart 4 million then OE will put a 4 million budget of their own down on the game for a total of 8 million....

Hopefully this formula holds true for Obsidian and PoE:

http://yachtclubgames.com/2014/08/sales-one-month/

From the blog:

What concrete numbers do we speak of? We’re talking the 15,684 people that supported us during the Kickstarter campaign.  Other developers have estimated that preorders predict first-week sales by 200-400%. 

After a full month they had sold 180k copies.

From the blog:     15k original backers -> 180k sales in one month

translated to PoE 77k original backers -> 924k sales?  

We'll see...

Edited by damage991

Oh, it's just that one guy thanked me for his job and it brought me to my ****ing kness. I still don't know how to properly process that.

So yeah, I get upset when people say Obsidian wasn't in bad shape, or imply this is PR, or get pissed off when devs mention DLC in a Kickstarter, or talk about how money shouldn't matter (even after you donated to a sometimes multi-million dollar project), or ask for a refund after they find out that making games is a job, or pull pledges after the devs reveal a stretch goal for female PCs, or that they ask for refunds because the dev supports female inclusion in the industry. They often forget that game creators are real people and not magical fun-time pixies that don't exist within the same plane as mortals. 

Which Brian did exactly that by making WL2 for Microsoft & Sony.

Which Brian did when he said he was going to put Wasteland 2 on Origin.

Edited by Bryy
  • Like 2

translated to PoE 77k original backers -> 924k sales?  

We'll see...

there will be more than 1kk sales.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance