And now a sneek peek at the Making of PoE Documentary

A huge kudos to Adam and Josh (and others) for thinking big in those desperate times!

I mean, it's almost crazy if you think about it:

"We're drowning here."

*Ponder, ponder, ponder for weeks, then meeting*

"How about making an IE-style CRPG, just as big and complex?"

"But we don't have any licenses for that?"

Josh: "No worries. I'll invent an RPG from scratch. It'll take a while, but I'll do it. Trust me."

*Feargus thinks this over for at least fifteen seconds*

"Of course you will, Josh. Go ahead, anything to be able to make those games we love again."

Adam: "Told ya!" *to Josh*

In desperate times comes desperate crazy measures.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

I bet you if they sent the making of documentary video to reviewers with the game when it comes time to review it, they'd get so invested in the story of it's creation that scores would jump dramatically. When you watch something like this, it's like a movie where the protagonists are the developers, and after watching you want to see them succeed all the more.

• Like 5

This is even better than I expected. The documentary is the only extra I bought beyond the KS pledge, so I'm glad it's money well spent.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Thank you for the sneak peek. It must be very morale boosting to have such an unequivocal vote of support from ones market as the Kickstarters response, I can't help but picture Sally Field at the Oscars stating, "You like me, you really like me." Past the hype, the marketing and the miasma of game journalism I personally find that I do like Obsidian, and this is based on the quality of their work. They have been ambitious, reactive to the player and somewhat more nuanced than the rest of the genre since the beginning.

I remember sitting back when I had finished Dead Money, listening to Vera say her goodbyes and then clapping as I shook my head. For anyone to wring such an emotional display from such an unfeeling and stoic Englishman as myself, well it's a sure sign that you had done something very right. Continue to do so and i'll keep on buying.

• Like 5

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Wait did we actually save Obsidian from shutting its doors?  Holy crap I had no idea.

I want to see the rest!

A lesson to be learned:

1. Don't rely a single AAA project, try to deversify. A mobile game here, an educational there.

2. Don't expand like a normal enterprice would, each hired person is not a +1 it's a (team)*new guy's neccesity, because in a creative framework each fired person is not a -1, it's (team)/fired person's devotion.

3. Communicate with your fans. It's hard and the community is always a lifeforce drainer, but if you take turns it should be ok.

5. Release a new BB build now!!!!!!!

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

All I see are Obsidianite talking heads. Will we get to see some actual game development? Like Coders coding? Animators animating? Concept artists concepting? Writers pantomiming persnickety dialogue?

Most importantly, will we see real BTS footage of an inebriated Chris Avellone drawing stick figures and sketching trolls?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Wait did we actually save Obsidian from shutting its doors?  Holy crap I had no idea.

No.

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

All I see are Obsidianite talking heads. Will we get to see some actual game development? Like Coders coding? Animators animating? Concept artists concepting? Writers pantomiming persnickety dialogue?

Most importantly, will we see real BTS footage of an inebriated Chris Avellone drawing stick figures and sketching trolls?

Uhh, the released clip doesn't even get us up to the Kickstarter launch. What exactly would they being shown coding?

No.

Obviously... I mean, they don't want to let in flies. 8P

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

cool! how long is the whole thing going to be? This would make a great movie. Also, is that bearded guy in the video around the part with the black guy Tim Cain? He looks like Tim, but I've seen Tim with the goatee and I was thinking how much he's changed. Josh's hair was uber short compared to now haha. I hope you guys film the game going gold!

Nah that was Scott Everts. It was a shame that he wasn't on this project TBH. Hopefully for the next one.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

No.

Yes?

Speaking as someone who works at a place that's had some dark times, sometimes the make-or-break thing is a morale boost. P:E's revenues alone did not save Obsidian, but it may well have been the thing that, well, kickstarted the recovery.

• Like 9

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com