Engagement system: short explanation please?

In short If you disengage someone the fleeing one is punished with lots of damage. Certain abilities and situation may change the result. 

• Like 1

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

In short If you disengage someone the fleeing one is punished with lots of damage. Certain abilities and situation may change the result. 

For engaged is intended when the enemies are focusing the char who is supposed to be engaged?

Edited by Mazisky

Tell me if it is correct:

A is attacking B.

C is attacking B.

This means B engaged both A and C?

If B disengages it takes more dmg? how?

(be patient pls, i know it's like dealing with children)

Edited by Mazisky

In that scenario if B don't have ability or talent that gives them ability to engage multiple enemies they engage only first enemy, meaning that C for example can freely move in and out B engagement area, but both A and C get disengagement attack if B moves away and B has flanked status as long they are in both A's and C's engagement area. 

A is attacking engaging B.

C is attacking engaging B.

That's about it, if you are attacking someone you are engaging them, that's how I've understood it at least. Engagement can run one way or both ways (in your scenario B isn't engaging anyone, but is engaged). If B moves as much as an inch, both A and C get an instant, automatic, disengagement attack against B.

• Like 1

So if i'm focused and i try to run i risk to get big damage from my attackers, right?

If you are engaged by an enemy and try to run away, you will suffer a disengagement attack, and the enemy might even try to re-engage you or engage another enemy.

However, there are many types of abilities/talents for some classes that can let you "escape/break" disengagement so you don't suffer the disengagement attack. Other classes, like the fighter, have talents that let them engage more than 1 or 2 enemies. 

Calibrating...

I think the final version is supposed to have a "cooldown" period when you break engagement (and get attacked with an attack of opportunity), so that you can't be IMMEDIATELY re-engaged by infinite people for every millisecond of your existence.

Also, I think the longer-reach weapons no longer give you a larger engagement area, as that was causing too many problems.

Also, a successful Interrupt is supposed to cleanly disengage now (let you leave the Engagement Radius without sparking a free attack from the person engaging you).

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Don't believe anything anyone says about the system. If I have time tonight I will make a video demonstrating how it actually works.

Then he won't believe you.

• Like 5

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Here's a question, is it easy for the player to see who's engaged and who's not and by whom?  I like the engagement system, which is clearly a lot like AoO, but if battles continue to be dogpiles, I can see some real confusion with multiple enemies and whatnot.  ...Or am I just an idiot?  You don't have to be gentle about the idiot part if you kindly also answer the engagement part.  It's been a while since I've played the beta and I don't want to play PoE again until it ships.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Here is example picture that shows how engagement works when enemy can engage all your characters

2015-03-11_00005.jpg?psid=1

As you can see enemy is not flanked even though he fight against three of my characters, and he will get disengagement attack against every one of them if they leave from his engagement zone.

But situation becomes much more on your favor when you example cause him become prone by using fighter's knockdown ability

2015-03-11_00007.jpg?psid=1

As you can see he loses his engagement against all of your characters and he becomes flanked making him very vulnerable for rogues attacks.

Here is more complex engagement where we can see how fighters ability to engage multiple enemies comes handy and how you can engage enemies even though you aren't directly attacking them

2015-03-11_00010.jpg?psid=1

As you can see fighter can engage both enemies at same time allowing rogue and monk (Loo) to flank second enemy.

Here you can see that monk(Loo) can move around both enemies freely and still engage second whole time

2015-03-11_00012.jpg?psid=1

Monk (Loo) don't change enemy that she engages until she attacks another enemy if she keeps enemy that she is engaging inside of her engagement zone.

2015-03-11_00013.jpg?psid=1

Your character's stops engaging enemy if they move so far away them that they are out of their engagement zone

2015-03-11_00002.jpg?psid=1

2015-03-11_00001.jpg?psid=1

• Like 2

That's awesome.  I mean, if it's that clear in the game, it will be much easier to keep track of who is engaged with various opponents.  Thanks, ya great elven bastard!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I think it only shows that stuff while paused. Which, don't get me wrong... I don't want to see all that stuff all the time. But, I kinda wish there was some kind of show-while-held button, so you could see who's engaging whom while the action's still occurring. Maybe there is...

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I think it only shows that stuff while paused. Which, don't get me wrong... I don't want to see all that stuff all the time. But, I kinda wish there was some kind of show-while-held button, so you could see who's engaging whom while the action's still occurring. Maybe there is...

When you pause game it shows all engagements for all the characters, in real time it shows engagements for character (friend or foe) which you hover over with mouse. It would be nice if you could look engagement information for all character by pressing for example Tab.