Assigning Numbered Groups?

Will we be able to split our party by selecting "1" or "2" or even selecting the entire group with a hotkey? I've noticed in all the videos players have to drag and click on the map to select all of the party... Can this be avoided by assigning hotkeys?

This is pretty good idea. It means control groups where maybe F1 you can have 2 characters as one group or F2 you can have 3 characters as one group and etc. What i see at the moment is that every character needs to be manually controlled. And there are no AI Tactics etc.

Right. so they way I like to fight is to have melee characters grouped, ranged and then casters. but the 1-6 can work alright, then backspace to select the entire party to move around. Dragging a box or mouse clicking to select party members is not my preferred style of game play. 

Well, I was wrong. Just gave it a try.

Yes, you can assign groupings to the number keys. 1 through 6 are pre-assigned to the characters, but can be overwritten.

Note that the grouping work of the location of the portraits, not the characters themselves. If you re-order your party, you'll have to adjust your groupings as well.

Say you have a party, with their portraits on the screen as follows:

Alice - Bob - Clarice - Dave

[1] Will map to Alice, [2] to Bob, etc.

Say you set [7] to a grouping of Alice and Bob.

Now move Dave's portrait to the front. (So now, [1] will map to Dave, [2] To Alice, [3] to Bob and [4] to Clarice)

Also, [7] is now mapped to Dave and Alice. (the two leftmost portraits)