Just wanted to ask the people who are playing the beta how well the optimization is handled, is unusal strain on the GPU expected? I ask this because both Divinity and Wateland 2 heavily stress and overheat my 7970 :/. Granted this might be a silly question because of how old school the graphics are, I still wanted to ask and make sure.

• Like 1

Moved to a more appropriate subforum.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Pillars of Eternity isn't fully 3D. I have an ASUS HD7970 DirectCUII, and my video card fan definitely speeds up and the video card heats up when the game is running but it's nowhere near as noticeable as some other titles - such as Starcraft 2, Expeditions: Conquistador or DotA 2.

Pillars of Eternity isn't fully 3D. I have an ASUS HD7970 DirectCUII, and my video card fan definitely speeds up and the video card heats up when the game is running but it's nowhere near as noticeable as some other titles - such as Starcraft 2, Expeditions: Conquistador or DotA 2.

Hopefully I don't have to raise my fan speed to 60-70%... since we have the same card can I ask how the performance was for you? Experience any drops in FPS during big battles, towns or spell effects? Is there an FPS cap?

Hopefully I don't have to raise my fan speed to 60-70%... since we have the same card can I ask how the performance was for you? Experience any drops in FPS during big battles, towns or spell effects? Is there an FPS cap?

Performance in this game is very CPU-bound. At the moment if you don't have an i5-3570k or better, your FPS will probably not be that great in some instances.

I have an i7 870 and it struggles in the larger areas due to lack of optimization. Not sure how it will go on release, I'm trying to help troubleshoot the FPS drops, a large part of it is something to do with units.

Performance in this game is very CPU-bound. At the moment if you don't have an i5-3570k or better, your FPS will probably not be that great in some instances.

I have an i7 870 and it struggles in the larger areas due to lack of optimization. Not sure how it will go on release, I'm trying to help troubleshoot the FPS drops, a large part of it is something to do with units.

Sounds good. My 2500k sandy bridge is rocking 4.3ghz so I'm in the clear 8D. Thanks for the insight. :bow:

Can I also ask how extensive the graphical options are? Is it kept to a minimum or are there lot's of options to play around with.

Just wanted to ask the people who are playing the beta how well the optimization is handled, is unusal strain on the GPU expected? I ask this because both Divinity and Wateland 2 heavily stress and overheat my 7970 :/. Granted this might be a silly question because of how old school the graphics are, I still wanted to ask and make sure.

I play Wasteland 2 with a 3 gig single core and a GTX 580 and havn't noticed any excessive heat.

You likely have something wrong with your card or there's not enough ventilation for it if you're seeing your 7970 stress and overheat playing those two games. I've played both with a GTX 460, a card that is generations older than yours and has less ram, and neither the video card (or CPU) is stressed at all playing with the graphics settings on max. If it's not a hardware issue, perhaps it's a driver issue with those games.

That's good to know. My previous laptop virtually burned through the table when I played Starcraft 2...

A graphics card should be able to work at 100% load for extended periods of time, they are designed for it. If your computer keeps crashing/rebooting, it's more likely a problem with your cooler (fan, dust, or heatsink issues) or PSU.

As people have said, though, it's not a GPU-heavy game.

• Like 1
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

A graphics card should be able to work at 100% load for extended periods of time, they are designed for it. If your computer keeps crashing/rebooting, it's more likely a problem with your cooler (fan, dust, or heatsink issues) or PSU.

As people have said, though, it's not a GPU-heavy game.

I think the OP implied he's manually managing fan speed? Unclear if he meant CPU/case fans or GPU fans.

In any case, I think by "overheat" he really means "hotter and noisier than I'd like it to be."

That's weird. A 7970 should be more than adequate for those two games. They are not intensive at all.

I mean, the 7000 series are the new kids. Hm.

Are you on a laptop?

I swear they just changed the Recommended Requirements for PoE on Steam, doubling the RAM and changing the GPU to a 7700 and 570.

Can't remember what it was yesterday, but it wasn't a 7700. 

*They totally did, there's a post in the community hub about it. Also minimum specs were changed. 

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

I have a Intel Core2 Duo 2.13 ghz CPU and a Radeon HD 6450 gfx card. These are literally the best my PC can get thanks to an entirely proprietary motherboard design (it's a small form factor PC--it was *really* cheap and was very old three years ago when I bought it).

Pathfinding is what eats up CPUs. They probably need to optimize that.

Hah, my CPU is below recommended - who would have thought

I haven't done any CPU benchmarking on PoE. How multi-thread aware is Unity 4?

Unless raw MHz is the controlling factor, any fairly recent i7 is going to beat an i5.

I couldn't see any performance drop on my machine, an i5-2.5k with a GTX680. Now that my graphics card is in repairm, though, I have to play with my on-board intel HD Graphics 3000 chipset for the time being and the performance tanks massively. It's probably what most people would say is unplayable (definiteyl not 30fps), but I bear through it. So I wouldn't say that the CPU is the bottle-neck.

Yay, my badge :3

Unless raw MHz is the controlling factor, any fairly recent i7 is going to beat an i5.

When the game is running, only four cores are used, my logical cores are not.

When the game is running, only four cores are used, my logical cores are not.

Hmm, that's odd. I just gave it a spin, and it's happily using all 8 "cores" on my machine.