What kind of Quest is that in Pax Video

I finally got around to watching your Pax presentation.

What kind of Quest is take the Tribes guys head.  Go to Forest, right away find the Tribes guy, fight kill tribes guy, take head....win quest....

Come on that's lazy!   

Why didn't you have the characters arive at the forest(the forest is dark filled with trees you could lose your way)  the characters go through the forest finally they find some blood and follow that trail of blood to a body that is being eaten by crows.   (there is no music)

The crows fly off, the characters mention something about the body then they start tracking again.

They go through the forest meet some old guy a hermit, he has a quest or story or whatever....about what the characters are searching for.  

Finally they come apon some ritual in forest clearing with bodies being sacrificed to whatever(A drum pulse starts with slow tempo)...there they see the Tribes guy and A battle ensues.  (Boss music, choir chants, brass stabs, etc.)

That's just off the top of my head thought of as fast as I can write it.  I am sure you guys could have come up with something better then what was shown in the Pax video, and of course better then what I have written here.

Good job on your game.   I hope it was the Project that you wanted to create, your new dream RPG.

Well, it's a bounty quest, sort of a side-quest I guess. 

Personally I liked it, it seems like the music fits the scene and I loved the atmosphere of the area. 

Sounds to me like you are trying to capture a movie scene rather than a game, or maybe a cinematic scene of a major franchise. 

But I like the picture you are painting, just don't think it would work for PoE. 

The purpose of the bounty quests are just to give you a cool, tough combat encounter with neat loot (I assume, they might be something different, but I really doubt it). What you suggest is just unfeasable for the type of content these things are (simple tasks, not even really side quests).

Edited by Miquel93
  • Like 3

Well, it's a bounty quest, sort of a side-quest I guess. 

Personally I liked it, it seems like the music fits the scene and I loved the atmosphere of the area. 

Sounds to me like you are trying to capture a movie scene rather than a game, or maybe a cinematic scene of a major franchise. 

But I like the picture you are painting, just don't think it would work for PoE. 

It seemed rather short and well short.  Just go do this, enter this area, there they are kill them, oh it's over.

I would think a Bounty Quest could be so much more.  Perhaps they ran out of time to make it more.  Maybe there are lot of short short quests like that.   That's to simple for my tastes.

The purpose of the bounty quests are just to give you a cool, tough combat encounter with neat loot (I assume, they might be something different, but I really doubt it). What you suggest is just unfeasable for the type of content these things are (simple tasks, not even really side quests).

I guess I don't play enough games to understand those type of quests in a game.  

There might be more involved bounties which require you to do more stuff than simply "Go to X, kill, return".

"Talk to this dude, chase after bounty through streets, do that, then this, unlock door to mysterious dungeon, find bounty in the act of heressy, kill, return bounty".

Well, if not, consider this post more or less rethorical for future~ "monster hunter"-esque bounties would be cool.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

I guess I don't play enough games to understand those type of quests in a game.  

They are optional quests for people who enjoy the combat more than or equal to story content. 

In some games they are really neat (Grand Theft Auto V assassination missions, The Witcher hunts and trophies) while in others they can be mediocre. 

The majority of the quests in PoE will involve guile as well as violence and (I presume) ways to succeed through guile alone. 

• Like 1

It seemed rather short and well short.  Just go do this, enter this area, there they are kill them, oh it's over.

I would think a Bounty Quest could be so much more.  Perhaps they ran out of time to make it more.  Maybe there are lot of short short quests like that.   That's to simple for my tastes.

It is optional side content to get a few tough fights and review old areas.  They are exactly what they wanted for the people who want that sort of thing. 

If you want actual encounters with plots and all that then you shouldn't do them.  The game will have tons of what you want.  What you saw are not the quests in the game.  At all.  It was a new feature we were not aware of as a little bonus.

Or rather that is my guess.  But we will know all about it in just a few weeks.

Edited by Valmy

There might be more involved bounties which require you to do more stuff than simply "Go to X, kill, return".

"Talk to this dude, chase after bounty through streets, do that, then this, unlock door to mysterious dungeon, find bounty in the act of heressy, kill, return bounty".

Well, if not, consider this post more or less rethorical for future~ "monster hunter"-esque bounties would be cool.

Well they could be more involved.  Obviously for a demo they chose something easy to show.  We really have no idea but will be finding out soon.

But they were not going to show detailed quests from the actual game, that would be spoilery.  So they showed this little feature.

Edited by Valmy

Are the bounties primarily excluded to the Stronghold or is there some way to do bounties without a Stronghold? (Stronghold being optional and all... and the Adventurer's Hall in Defiance Bay seems like a place that'd have a billboard for that kind of stuff).

Speculation/Concept:
Chance that we encounter a rival adventuring party taking down a target on our way to it? :D Or bounties being "time-limit" and might be dealt with by other parties?

Are the bounties primarily excluded to the Stronghold or is there some way to do bounties without a Stronghold? (Stronghold being optional and all... and the Adventurer's Hall in Defiance Bay seems like a place that'd have a billboard for that kind of stuff).

Speculation/Concept:

Chance that we encounter a rival adventuring party taking down a target on our way to it? :D Or bounties being "time-limit" and might be dealt with by other parties?

You pick up the bounties at the wardens at your stronghold (or maybe beside your stronghold, it looked like he was outside the walls).  No idea if you actually have to possess the stronghold to get them.

I would be surprised if either of those speculations are true but we will see.

Valmy: I know lol. The bounty dude = has to possess the Stronghold. It'd be odd to go there just to pick up bounties (if you haven't taken the Stronghold).

Man I'm starting to wonder if...... if you don't pick up the Stronghold... will someone else take it/inhabit it? (Faction or organization)

Of course, I doubt my speculation or concept is in the game at all... but it's thoughts for future, for mods, for expansions or for sequels, prequels or whatever. It's brainstorming and it is in the name and definition: "concept". I.E. needs to be worked on to realize.

I do think that, if you would choose to not get the Stronghold, that there could be another place to pick up a few of them. I mean.. is this the only guy in the Eora world Eastern Reach that has this information? "Yeah there's some nasty bounties out there and I'm the only one in the world who gets contracts! Mwaha! Monopoolyyy!!".

One would think that a bounty is something that adventurer's or actual monster- or bounty hunters would earn their living from... right? Wouldn't it be odd if there's only one place to get them..?

EDIT: Read my post again (otherwise I'm just repeating my post over and over) about Defiance Bay and the Adventurer's Hall, or re-watch Josh Sawyers stream when he goes to Defiance Bay and showcases it. Looks like a place for picking up bounties  :thumbsup:

Edited by Osvir

Valmy: I know lol. The bounty dude = has to possess the Stronghold. It'd be odd to go there just to pick up bounties (if you haven't taken the Stronghold).

Man I'm starting to wonder if...... if you don't pick up the Stronghold... will someone else take it/inhabit it? o.o

Judging by this VO sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfrroBk21do (at 0:17)

It seems somebody named Maerwald is/was the owner when you show up.

*nvm*

Man I'm starting to wonder if...... if you don't pick up the Stronghold... will someone else take it/inhabit it? o.o

Judging by this VO sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfrroBk21do (at 0:17)

It seems somebody named Maerwald is/was the owner when you show up.

^^^^^As in, will someone else claim it during your playthrough (if you claim it)? (I doubt it by the way)

turer's Hall, or re-watch Josh Sawyers stream when he goes to Defiance Bay and showcases it. Looks like a place for picking up bounties  :thumbsup:

What place are u talking about?

Well, it's called Admeth's Den, but it pretty much is a realized "Adventurer's Hall" :)

41:34~45:30

Edited by Osvir

I don't. It's speculation.

turer's Hall, or re-watch Josh Sawyers stream when he goes to Defiance Bay and showcases it. Looks like a place for picking up bounties  :thumbsup:

Then again, it's a place for mercenaries (which, I just learned, has nothing to do with adventuring really).

1. A mercenary is a person who takes part in an armed conflict who is not a national or a party to the conflict and is "motivated to take part in the hostilities by the desire for private gain."
I was thinking that a "mercenary" could apply to sellswords and bounty hunters as well.
Edited by Osvir

It'd be kind of neat if things like the bounties were spruced up a bit via scripted interactions. Maybe it's always going to be a combat encounter, but you can choose to follow them for a while, or wait 'til nightfall, etc.

Scripted Interactions are probably one of the most (functionally) versatile things in the game. You could alter the starting factors of a given combat encounter, based on whatever you'd like. Tie in specific character knowledge/lore to combat encounter approaches, etc.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u