What you did today

Blarghagh

Woke up to the smell of tomcat urine filling the bedrooms again. Went outside to hose it off etc. Whinged for 5 minutes again about rude/idiot neighbors and their 70 gazillion unspayed/neutered outdoor cats and my thus far largely futile efforts to stop them. Couple hours later:

Me: What cha doing?
Hubby: Working on my Cat-B-Gone system.
Me: What?
Hubby: *long explanation re: our house's automatic plant watering system+motion sensors*
:wub:

...he may never get around to actually making it work, but he's still a lovely man for trying.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Got my bicycle back from service and they forgot to check on the ball bearings. Now I have to do that myself. I also removed the vertical handle bar ends because they were just too draggy for such small gain in comfort. 90% of the time I'm using the triathlon bars anyway. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

So I overhauled the wheel bearings, checked the bearing balls for damage, cleaned the old grease + microscopical metal shaving gunk out and replaced it with special bearing fat.

The wheels have at least 20% less friction now.  :w00t:

The downside when working on bikes is seeing and handling those tiny parts, little bearings, the front axle has like 2 cm² actual bearing surface, the brakes are held by two screws.  Stuff like that. I weigh 100kg and at specific parts of my cycling track I do speeds in excess of 110kmh downhill, there I always have to think about those tiny fragile parts. It really scares me. 

Edited by Woldan

@Woldan - occasionally you remind me of my hubby when he early 20's, always working on/rebuilding car engines. All that little busywork like that, taking things apart/putting them together again. He loved it. I wouldn't see him for days. ;)

Today ... yardwork and having more "fun" making silly portraits for PoE than actually playing PoE. I could make an Avengers party next...or maybe CSI. Or Sherlock. Or...hm.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I am working at this customer in Cape Town, its 2 am in the morning and we have realized there is major issue with permissions on one of storage devices so now we are manually applying them on a per device level...and its about 50 Terabytes of data...so I expect to pull an all-nighter  -_-

Coffee is my friend  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I am working at this customer in Cape Town, its 2 am in the morning and we have realized there is major issue with permissions on one of storage devices so now we are manually applying them on a per device level...and its about 50 Terabytes of data...so I expect to pull an all-nighter  -_-

Coffee is my friend  :biggrin:

9 am and I'm still onsite....I'm at the point where I'm so tired I'm actually not tired anymore  :blink:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Lost my will to live as Monday looms.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This weekend has been glorious (finally).  I can finally safely say winter is over and pack away my longjohns until November or December.  I did my first 2 bike rides of the year yesterday and today.  I'm all types of out of shape, but that's every year for my first couple of rides.  I'll round myself into riding shape in the next couple weeks, then I'll start doing long, strenuous rides.  Today is officially T-shirt Day (the first day of the year warm enough that you can be outside wearing a t-shirt and be completely comfortable).  T-shirt Day is a wonderful day.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah, it's a gorgeous day today here too, after being a little chilly/windy/cloudy most of the week. Hubby's out in back with a laptop and I think I may join him soon. Maybe do some more yard trimming.

Raining and thunder over here...

9VHBc7N.gif

(Source: I don't know, my friend sent it to me a while ago)

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Did some room clearing with my shotgun and flashlight in my hands. Its half past midnight when I suddenly heard strange unfamiliar noises through my opened window, and then 5 minutes later inside my house. I'm used to the regular wildlife sounds around here but I've never heard such strange and loud noises since I moved here.

This is one of those situations I'm glad that I have a proper firearm and I don't have to look around with a freaking butter knife or chair leg. 

Still couldn't figure out the source(s) of those sounds, I better check the garden now. If this is my last post its save to assume that it was the Boogieman stalking me. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

Man, this cough & sore throat just won't go away.  I mean, I'm doing better than the wife, who's got this plus nasal congestion, but it's really a pain.  The little vector of transmission got over this one quickly, and has been taunting us with his relative health.  This is probably part of why human biology favors child-rearing when far younger than we are-- I don't recall being this discomforted by cold symptoms when I was 19. 

Anyhow, this is the latest in the year that I've ever put off doing our taxes, so I did most of the work for that this evening.  (Fed form is done, but I'm going to do the State stuff and the formal signing/submission tomorrow.)  It's a hassle, but it always makes me feel rich-- years ago, I don't think I ever would have thought I'd be in a position to be writing numbers like this on a federal tax form.  Makes me appreciate the amount of dumb luck it took to get into the position we're in. 

@Bart - I love that animated picture. That's often how I feel during the first rains of the season. It's not for getting a tan, but rainy weather is beautiful too.

...early to bed, early to rise, makes a soul ... run off to the tax accountant.

• Like 1

With the warmer weather I am walking home a bit further than before, 2.2km or so now. Pleasant walk and my defective leg didn't act up.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The doldrums hit me during the afternoon for some reason, so now I'm sitting around the house with a Grumpy Cat face.

It's occasionally tempting to cash out assets and just fly off somewhere. But....nah. At least not quite yet. ;)

Went up the road to LAX with my friend dropping his wife and child at the international terminal. Everything's fine, she's just going to Brasil to visit her mom, he's staying here for work. Almost no traffic at 2pm and I waved from the 405 in Irvine at Obsidian's office--I don't think anyone saw me.  

I always thought coastal Los Angeles was barren and industrial, but no--Manhattan Beach is ultra, had the best burger in recent memory at a place called Simmzy's on the Boulevard, then drove down the coast through Hermosa Beach, Redondo, Palos Verdes, and then sky-high across the Port of Long Beach. That place is insane, as far as the eye can see, millions of shipping containers, gigantic cranes, gargantuan commercial ships ... was just able to see the triple-stack of the Queen Mary, which was cool, lit up at night.  

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Went up the road to LAX with my friend dropping his wife and child at the international terminal. Everything's fine, she's just going to Brasil to visit her mom, he's staying here for work. Almost no traffic at 2pm and I waved from the 405 in Irvine at Obsidian's office--I don't think anyone saw me.  

I always thought coastal Los Angeles was barren and industrial, but no--Manhattan Beach is ultra, had the best burger in recent memory at a place called Simmzy's on the Boulevard, then drove down the coast through Hermosa Beach, Redondo, Palos Verdes, and then sky-high across the Port of Long Beach. That place is insane, as far as the eye can see, millions of shipping containers, gigantic cranes, gargantuan commercial ships ... was just able to see the triple-stack of the Queen Mary, which was cool, lit up at night.  

That sounds like an impressive sight ....especially at night 

What type of burger did you eat...details please, details  :yes:

John Milton 

Ooh, this one, it was stupid delicious. I added bacon and avocado, because, der. Had sweet potato fries and a nice brown ale to go with it. 

delish_zps8r4glxlq.png

Wowzers that does look good 

You have very similar tastes to me, additions like bacon and avocado can only improve an already tasty burger 

Its interesting how they offer both guacamole and Avo as separate items so theoretically you could have both even though they are very similar  

• Like 1

John Milton