What you did today

Blarghagh

Got a notice that I have to attend an important meeting on Wednesday. We'll see how that goes, it will be a very interesting meeting.

Been happy with the weather in the past 10 days. I have started wearing my spring shoes and jacket. You can actually see the sun and it doesn't get dark at 3:30-4 PM.

Talked to my boss and told her I'm taking two days off next week to go visit friends in Stockholm. I barealy see them anymore and I want to change that.

• Like 1

For Shady, who is thinking about getting a WiiU to replace his PS4, just be aware that the WiiU does not play DVD's at all.  I was a bit bummed by that, as I was hoping to set it up in the family room and have it be an all purpose entertainment device for the kids.  

Also MLB The Show comes out at the end of the month, which is my main reason for owning the PS4.  Best sports game ever.  :p

• Like 1

Arsenal beat United, so that made today nicer. Holy hell though, is United boring to watch.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So it turns out my one cat has hyperthyroidism. The vet left a voicemail and recommend the pills, administered twice daily with food. Since Im the first one up and the first one home its kind of blown up in my face because Ill be the one to have to give him the medicine. After a bit of quiet reflection, where I visualized having to put the cat into a tiny little headlock to push the pill to the back of his throat, twice a day, every day, for the rest of his life...Im now pushing for the laser treatment. :lol:

• Like 1

Hey, Gfted, there are things called 'pill pockets.'  I would try them.  Trying to give pills to a cat is a real bitch, no pun intended.  This works pretty well with some cats.  Not all, I'm afraid.

http://www.amazon.com/FELINE-GREENIES-PILL-POCKETS-Treats/dp/B000JOE224

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

2 options for giving meds to reluctant pussies

1) if the med is not liquid and/or time release, crush it up and add to tuna or cheese or whatever. can almost guarantee no headlock necessary. 

2) get a syringe and cut the end off-- need a syringe big enough for the pill.  you gotta be quick, but grab the varmint by the back o' the neck and jam that syringe into the back o' the critter's mouth and use the plunger to let the pill fly.  gag on the pill is okie dokie if it is already past the tongue.

method 2 is not perfect, obviously. we recommend wrapping your little hairball producer in a towel.

HA! Good Fun!

ps as far as we know, both methods work on cats too.

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Spent the whole day building a fence. Didn't finish but I did get 41 more posts set, and did finish about 70'. At least the weather is nice.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Spent the whole day building a fence. Didn't finish but I did get 41 more posts set, and did finish about 70'. At least the weather is nice.

let us guess.  as you were sitting on the back porch, contemplating your fence, you saw a meteor fall in the distance, a shooting star all red and gold.  it were a sign, and so you chose to follow the sign.

for sixty days and sixty nights, guard dog traveled in the direction the star had fallen, and on his journey he had many fine and terrible adventures.  the hero wrestled and befriended a giant white grizzly, whom he named Stu, and the bear named guard dog Meat. gd saved a beautiful indian princess from an evil witch, but when the maiden's father offered the hero the hand of the princess in marriage, he respectfully declined as his heart (or at least community property) were already owned by another.  to finally reach the landing spot o' the star, gd had to level a small mountain, which changed the course of a river, which saved a dying town.  the hero would be forever remembered in smurf village as the man who made the flowers bloom and the corn grow once more.

finally gd reached his goal, a meteor of iron and nickle and other strange metals unknown to man or god.  but the stone was ill-formed and clumsy and had no purpose until the hero put his will to it; he popped the stone into his mouth eventhough the fires it had carried with it from the heavens had not been fully extinguished.  a mighty hiss erupted from gd's nose, but he kept the stone in  his mouth and gave it a good chaw to cool it and reshape it.  when at last the hero was finished, he spat forth a mighty hammer-head, a vital tool indeed, but he saw it were incomplete.

so gd returned to the smurfs and the smurfs in their thanks imparted unto their hero a magic handle that swallowed sweat and tamed even the most ill-struck blow so that no horny vibrations would slow gd's swing.

and so the hero returned to the indian princess and she gave unto him strands of her glistening black hair that shone dark and smooth as a raven's eye.  she kissed the stands, each one, and affixed the mighty hammer to his...  handle.  the black threads, while almost as fine as spider silk, were stronger than steel cables thick as guard dog's own mighty arms.  the mainden's kiss were powerful magic so that as long as her hair bound his hammer, no rust would ever blemish its surface.

finally, gd returned to Stu and showed him the hammer, and Stu saw that it was a fine hammer but incomplete.  Stu dealt guard dog a terrible blow that crushed the hero's arm and broke his ribs, but Stu ripped off his own arm, and plucked forth three of his ribs and gave them to Meat, and he bathed the hammer in his blood. "now you have humility.  go forth and do good work."  and Stu died.

after all his fantastic adventures, guard dog arrived home and got started on his fence.  he grabbed a post and saw that the post was good.  he placed the post in a shallow hole and struck a mighty blow, intent on driving the fence post deep into the virgin soil.  the post sank a fragment of a fraction of an inch.  guard dog, undeterred, struck the post once again, and this time the post bounced but sunk no further.  guard dog stepped back and gathered himself and all his strength.  he collected the gratitude of the smurfs, the love of his princess fair, and the friendship of his dead bear companion and put it all into his final swing.

the post laughed.  well, laugh might be too strong a word.  snickered?  a dismissive titter? 

guard dog let out a terrible sigh and said, "$%@# this."  

our intrepid hero took his hammer to the shed and placed it in an old steel trash can in the corner. guard dog then grabbed his post hole digger and finally got started building his fence.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Wait... what?

I thought Guard Dog was already using a post hole digger.  I thought it was only Woldan who was crazy enough to use a sledgehammer for erecting his fence.  Although I guess he had a hot Indian princess to help him with his erection.  BTW:  Is that red feather or red dot Indian we're talking?

Tonight, the wife and I went dancing.  I'm working on my salsa and rumba dancing.  Muy Caliente!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Wait... what?

I thought Guard Dog was already using a post hole digger.  I thought it was only Woldan who was crazy enough to use a sledgehammer for erecting his fence.  Although I guess he had a hot Indian princess to help him with his erection.  BTW:  Is that red feather or red dot Indian we're talking?

Tonight, the wife and I went dancing.  I'm working on my salsa and rumba dancing.  Muy Caliente!

and now you know why gd uses a post hole digger instead of a hammer.

am confused our self regarding indians as our younger relatives insist that the current pc term for native americans is indian.  makes us feel old.

HA! Good Fun!

Got confirmation I'm getting Medicare because the owner of my company is a cheap jerk who steals from us (seriously). Still hunting for a job, but if I don't find anything in the midwest by July I'm probably going back to california, and getting a teaching certificate.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Got confirmation I'm getting Medicare because the owner of my company is a cheap jerk who steals from us (seriously). Still hunting for a job, but if I don't find anything in the midwest by July I'm probably going back to california, and getting a teaching certificate.

no doubt you has spoken to teachers and know what you is doing, but is our understanding that teachers got one of the lowest job satisfaction rates.  takes you a year or more and some student-teacher training to get a relative ill-paying job that has you working far more than school hours.  and heck, if you think cheap-bastard bosses is bad, many school districts got this wonderful habit o' hiring teachers just long enough to not need give 'em real benefits.

am pretty sure coal miner and horse knacker is having better job satisfaction.  

HA! Good Fun!

no doubt you has spoken to teachers and know what you is doing, but is our understanding that teachers got one of the lowest job satisfaction rates.  takes you a year or more and some student-teacher training to get a relative ill-paying job that has you working far more than school hours.  and heck, if you think cheap-bastard bosses is bad, many school districts got this wonderful habit o' hiring teachers just long enough to not need give 'em real benefits.

am pretty sure coal miner and horse knacker is having better job satisfaction.  

HA! Good Fun!

I know they have bad satisfaction rates, but at least a district won't be hiring me, then taking a % of my money and when the state says "Hay, that's illegal" they'd give it back.

Besides, I could yell at Hurlshot to get his district to hire me... or my mother to get help getting into the Union.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Teaching is definitely not for everyone, and there are some tough schools that will basically chew you up, but it does have its benefits.  I'd recommend getting your substitute credential, all you need to do is pass the easy CBEST and apply at a few districts.  There is a shortage of decent subs in the Bay Area, so you can get plenty of work, and it will give you an idea of what it is like.

Gromnir, when I was last involved in a Native American studies class (which was about a decade ago) I had a professor who had written a few books on different tribes on the West Coast.  He basically said that American Indian is just as good as Native American, because really most people would rather be called by their tribe name and don't care about the general label.  :p

Had the most awful week in a long, long time. It started with me being told I was being shipped off to Sweden the day after, so little time to organise travel and hotels. Flying with Air Berlin the first part of the way to Stockholm, I got an email reminding me that I needed to get my baggage and check in again with the other airline. That was Ok. When I got to Tegel airport, the girl at the Air Berlin counter told me I should not pick up my baggage in Stockholm, it would be transferred to the other plane automatically. Ok... I told her that it was unlikely, being two different companies unaffiliated with each other and one being an international and the other a domestic Swedish flight. Yes, you can't pick up your baggage in Stockholm. Ok, but I got an email from your company reminding me that I had to pick it up? Yes, that email was wrong, just ignore it (3 denials in a row). Of course, when I arrived at my destination my baggage was still in Stockholm. After 3 days wearing the same clothes, I probably started smelling pretty stale. At least the hotel had "survival kits" with toothbrushes and shaving gear.

The fun really started on the return trip though, where the travel had been booked with Norwegian Air. Yes, those guys who went on strike the day I was supposed to travel home. I showed up in the airport in Malmö (which is like 30 km outside the city) and found a section of the airport without power or light, no people other than other confused passenges, no signs, no contact no. no people offereing any explanation. Being in the dark (literally), we asked around and found out that people had left and gone on strike. Gee, thanks for the great customer support, not even a phone line offered to call for help.

Had to buy new tickets from SAS and got to Stockholm, just to see the gates close for last flight to Berlin. Bought another ticket for the day after and then booked a hotel room for the night. At least the hotel was nice. Getting home finally on a Saturday early afternoon (and having picked up my baggage on the return trip), I got home to an icy cold appartment where the heating had broken down. No service to get over the weekend, so no heat, no hot water and me getting increasingly pissed off. The morning showers in 3 degrees C "warm" water didn't help =]

...and now I'm back in Sweden. I already hate the place sweat.gif

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Wow, that bites, you glorious bastard!  The problem with that situation is that it really doesn't help to chew on people's asses if there's no remedy they can give you.  I mean, if you can get free tickets or some other compensation, that's great, but I've never been a fan of taking it to the mattresses just to grief people.

Got up late this morning and instead of doing what I need to do, I'm sitting here kibitzing online.  For shame.  I plan on going on a short hike, maybe six miles, before I meet up with someone at the gym who thinks she can help me tighten up my routine.  I'm looking forward to having advice since I'm not sure I'm doing all the reps the right way or if I should switch things around or in or out of my routine.

Obsidian Plays

Teaching is definitely not for everyone, and there are some tough schools that will basically chew you up, but it does have its benefits.  I'd recommend getting your substitute credential, all you need to do is pass the easy CBEST and apply at a few districts.  There is a shortage of decent subs in the Bay Area, so you can get plenty of work, and it will give you an idea of what it is like.

Gromnir, when I was last involved in a Native American studies class (which was about a decade ago) I had a professor who had written a few books on different tribes on the West Coast.  He basically said that American Indian is just as good as Native American, because really most people would rather be called by their tribe name and don't care about the general label.   :p

when you sub, you ain't so much teaching as you is baby sitting, yes?  sorry, you is managing the classroom. is not as if you need understand chemistry to sub a chemistry class.  is not as if you need prepare lesson plans, grade papers our counsel students as a sub.  even so, sub effective gives you an idea o' the job, even though subbing is limited, typical, to classroom management?

for some reason, we find that to be a little disturbing.

when our family argues the native american v. indian shtick, the rationales we is bombarded with is plural rather than singular.  we hear 'white guilt' frequently. however, we will agree that tribe is far more important than blanket generalization, which is kinda part o' the problem.   each individual tribe must needs negotiate separate with the US government.  each tribe sees self individual and may have historical reasons for loathing the  __________ tribe more than the government.  there is little solidarity that might be useful in public appeals.  strength in numbers is impossible when a relative small population is split more than 550 ways... and some native american tribes is still not having received bia recognition. while the importance o' tribal identity to individual native americans is undeniable, the insulating effect o' the identity greatly reduces political and economic power.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Typically the classroom management is what drives people out of education, because you are basically dealing with a hostile audience for about 180 days a year.  Thankfully my soul is nourished by the pain and suffering of middle schoolers.   :devil:

You get a lot of different situations when subbing, and really it is up to the sub to make the most of the situation.  I subbed for two years before becoming a teacher.  Many of my one day assignments were simple, but as I became better known to teachers and administrators, they would challenge me with more involved assignments.  For example, I did all the lesson planning when I took over a kindergarten class for 8 weeks, and came up with a few of my own activities that fit my personality.  I also got to assess student speeches once, and that was memorable.  

I walked around in my garden, sat down under a tree and fell asleep in the warm sun of an early spring. Then I watched a male blackbird catching earth worms half a meter next to me, listened to the song of the yellowhammer birds and watched little cicadas hop around on my shirt. I should have been working but I just didn't care at all today. 

• Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Right now I'm just leaving campus into the hills wishing I were lying down under a shade tree myself.

Obsidian Plays

let us guess.  as you were sitting on the back porch, contemplating your fence, you saw a meteor fall in the distance, a shooting star all red and gold.  it were a sign, and so you chose to follow the sign.

for sixty days and sixty nights, guard dog traveled in the direction the star had fallen, and on his journey he had many fine and terrible adventures.  the hero wrestled and befriended a giant white grizzly, whom he named Stu, and the bear named guard dog Meat. gd saved a beautiful indian princess from an evil witch, but when the maiden's father offered the hero the hand of the princess in marriage, he respectfully declined as his heart (or at least community property) were already owned by another.  to finally reach the landing spot o' the star, gd had to level a small mountain, which changed the course of a river, which saved a dying town.  the hero would be forever remembered in smurf village as the man who made the flowers bloom and the corn grow once more.

finally gd reached his goal, a meteor of iron and nickle and other strange metals unknown to man or god.  but the stone was ill-formed and clumsy and had no purpose until the hero put his will to it; he popped the stone into his mouth eventhough the fires it had carried with it from the heavens had not been fully extinguished.  a mighty hiss erupted from gd's nose, but he kept the stone in  his mouth and gave it a good chaw to cool it and reshape it.  when at last the hero was finished, he spat forth a mighty hammer-head, a vital tool indeed, but he saw it were incomplete.

so gd returned to the smurfs and the smurfs in their thanks imparted unto their hero a magic handle that swallowed sweat and tamed even the most ill-struck blow so that no horny vibrations would slow gd's swing.

and so the hero returned to the indian princess and she gave unto him strands of her glistening black hair that shone dark and smooth as a raven's eye.  she kissed the stands, each one, and affixed the mighty hammer to his...  handle.  the black threads, while almost as fine as spider silk, were stronger than steel cables thick as guard dog's own mighty arms.  the mainden's kiss were powerful magic so that as long as her hair bound his hammer, no rust would ever blemish its surface.

finally, gd returned to Stu and showed him the hammer, and Stu saw that it was a fine hammer but incomplete.  Stu dealt guard dog a terrible blow that crushed the hero's arm and broke his ribs, but Stu ripped off his own arm, and plucked forth three of his ribs and gave them to Meat, and he bathed the hammer in his blood. "now you have humility.  go forth and do good work."  and Stu died.

after all his fantastic adventures, guard dog arrived home and got started on his fence.  he grabbed a post and saw that the post was good.  he placed the post in a shallow hole and struck a mighty blow, intent on driving the fence post deep into the virgin soil.  the post sank a fragment of a fraction of an inch.  guard dog, undeterred, struck the post once again, and this time the post bounced but sunk no further.  guard dog stepped back and gathered himself and all his strength.  he collected the gratitude of the smurfs, the love of his princess fair, and the friendship of his dead bear companion and put it all into his final swing.

the post laughed.  well, laugh might be too strong a word.  snickered?  a dismissive titter? 

guard dog let out a terrible sigh and said, "$%@# this."  

our intrepid hero took his hammer to the shed and placed it in an old steel trash can in the corner. guard dog then grabbed his post hole digger and finally got started building his fence.

HA! Good Fun!

Ah but there is a last verse to this epic poem After setting the posts our hero stretched the field wire fence and began to hammer in the staples (the awful U shaped double pointed nails that every carpenter, even Jesus hates). After watching the 10th one go spinning off into the woods because he just couldn't hit it square Guard Dog returned to the shed for the magic hammer. To his joy he discovered that every swing of the hammer was true, struck the staple square and drove it into the post with just a single hit. With a grateful prayer to the Spirit of Stu, the smurfs of the village and the beautiful Indian Princess GD finished his work in half the time and spent the afternoon fishing!

:lol:  Well, the last part is completely true!

Edit - Fixed! Sorry Papa Smurf!

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell