Someone teach me how to mod.

No. Seriously.

I have a metric f*ckton of time on my hands, and if someone is willing to teach me I will learn.

Send me online tutorials, vids, or start up a skype conference with me. Don't care, give me a way to learn it (preferably interactive learning) and I will learn, and I will mod.

Sincerely:
This guy.

Learn C# and you will be ready to Mod this game.

• Like 2

From George Ziets @ http://new.spring.me/#!/user/GZiets/timeline/responses

Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat. While this does put more emphasis on solving quests, the lack of rewards for killing creatures makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game) as much as I can.

No. Seriously.

I have a metric f*ckton of time on my hands, and if someone is willing to teach me I will learn.

Send me online tutorials, vids, or start up a skype conference with me. Don't care, give me a way to learn it (preferably interactive learning) and I will learn, and I will mod.

Sincerely:

This guy.

as immortalis stated, finding this stuff yourself seems to be the first step for learning coding in anyway. :D

• Like 1

Here ya go: https://www.coursera.org/courses?orderby=new&lngs=en&cats=cs-ai,cs-programming,cs-systems,cs-theory&primaryLanguages=en&categories=cs-programming

Beginning game programming in C# is near the top of the list. There are numerous other things you could search for like youtube and other tutorial type stuff.

Probably best to start with an actual lesson structure so you aren't copy/pasting code everywhere....dat modular programming.

Edited by GreyFox

There's a number of aspects to modding, so it depends on what you want to learn first. It's not one big master course you can take: you need to know what games you want to mod and what type of modding you want to perform. Modelling, texturing, area mesh building, coding/scripting, animation, sound systems, visual effects, graphical art, ...

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

No. Seriously.

Sincerely:

This guy.

You need to be more specific than just "I want to mod".

Modding is not like straight game dev where you can just go from any programming language. Modding is specific to a certain game or engine. 

My coding skills are rusty and dull at best, but I'd like to try doing a stealth mod in the summer.  I think it'd be neat if different mobs had different shaped perception radii.  As it stands, my 12-15 hour workdays are killing me.

Anyone have an idea of how hard this would be?

Edited by anameforobsidian

Cheers for the responses guys.

In regards to 'depends what you want to mod', there's a few different things I want to work on, but I can guarantee that graphics and modelling would not be among them. Probably things like scripting dialogue, making additional quests and maybe modifying some coding for abilities and such so I can create unique characters.

I'll start learning C# to start with. Thank you.