So tell me what we have to do to get....

I replayed arcanum with the widescreen mod a couple years ago, it looks pretty good actually.  So I don't think we need a remake.  I did enjoy the universe and would love another game in it, but I'm not sure who owns the IP.  The music is top notch.

• Like 1

Activision owns the IP, which they inherited from Sierra. So you just need to convince Robert Kotick to sell/ license the game. I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen.

But while I don't think there's any realistic chance of it happening if it did a proper balance overall alone would be worth the price of the upgrade.

• Like 1

Obsidian could work with Activision and release it through new Sierra

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I actually liked arcanum stat/skill/combat system. Maybe a disengage mechanic would have made things a bit better?

Though, I'm really jaded with most stat systems increments anymore. It's so boring - no extra incentive/reward when capping a stat. I liked the element D&D 2.0 had, for this reason alone: 18/00 or a 19 felt like you were amazing than just the usual 5-15% better in a stat. Arcanum had this mechanic and it really defined a character.

Guess systems have tended toward not hurting players feelings (or pushing very biased opinions) than trying to make certain game mechanics truly pronounced.

• Like 1

I suppose that within a few years we might see Mr Cain take the project lead reins on a Poe game, and get a spiritual successor to Arcanum, if the gentleman wishes to deal with the stresses and strains of a managerial role. I've got to admit I loved Arcanum, the subverted main quest that is hinted at throughout, the original characters like Gar, Zan Alurin and Torian Kel, the reactivity and all the different ways to complete a quest, the quests themselves which really invoked a good GM's finest work, I was a little enchanted by Arcanum.

There of course were negatives: The linear Black Mountain quest, after so much reactivity and choice this slow slog was a slap in the face, and yet later when one can skip the Dredge entirely it shows that the devs realised their earlier mistake. The characters were mechanically weak, Virgil was only useful to a magic user and the rest of the characters were a little borked. The traps, how I hated them, sheer, mind numbing tedium treading one square after another and only revealing one at a time, the Fallout 2 system was better than this.

This being said i've played the game multiple times, and still feel a smile crack my cheeks when "Arronax" appears on the Morbihan Plains and issues his challenge, or feel chills down my spine when Torian Kel tells of the battle between the Derian Ka and the Molochean Hand. For all its faults Arcanum was ambitious, entertaining and endlessly charming to me.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I want a new Arcanum game so hard. I'd pay another 250$ and maybe even more.

/edit: Actually I wouldn't mind a.... DUM DUM.... Arcanum of Eternity or Pillars of Arcanum or somesuch. tongue.png They got their own world and setting, now they can do whatever they want. Add a few hundred years to the setting, get steam machines rolling and done. It can be a lot like Arcanum without actually being an Arcanum licence title. Just like Tides of Numenera looks like Torment, but isn't a Planescape game.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Arcanum: Call of Duty

You've got to decide if you're gonna shoot with magic guns, or steamwork rifles.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Blizzard and Activision are the same company. Blizzard was part of the Vivendi Universal conglomerate that owned Sierra. When that merger happened with Activision, they changed the company name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard

Edited by babaganoosh13

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

I have no idea how you guys think that combat system was good there... it was god awful, to a point of being unplayable....

The worst sin was that they setup this big 'technology versus magic' mechanic and it was barely a factor in the combat. You fought hordes of giant animals for the most part.

It took me quite a few deaths to figure out why I've fallen and couldn't get up.