What classes for ranged combat?

Hello,

after browsing the wiki a bit (and seeing that there's firearms), I am considering something I don't usually do: to play a character focused on ranged combat.

My first question is: how viable is that? In my experience, ranged combat is somewhat weaker in most games, probably to compensate for its obvious advantages. How much is this the case here? Am I hurting myself by focusing a key member of my party on ranged combat?

And then there's the question which class I should build. My issue here is that I'm really not fond of the archetypes that are usually associated with ranged combat. I have no interest in playing a ranger, and limited enthusiasm for a rouge, though my mind might be changed on the latter.

The classes that appeal to me at the moment are the paladin, and the monk (whose abilities seem to be about the worst match for ranged combat). Would a ranged paladin be a sensible build?

Or is it usually the case in combat that you'd want as many melee fighters as possible? And ranged weapons are therefore mostly for support classes? In that case I guess I wouldn't mind building a wizard, priest, or cipher.

A wizard with the blast line of talents will provide AoE ranged damage with every attack using an implement.

A rogue with a blunderbuss and penetrating shot will have a good chance at killing there target with the first shot, and if you give them the talents or race with additional weapon quick slots they'll be able to pull it off two or three times before needing to reload which is slow, they're good with other ranged weapons as well.

If they improve the Ranger before release they'd probably work as an OK option with firearms or crossbows if you focus on talents to increase there rate of fire and reload speed.

Otherwise just build a normal party and equip every one with a firearm or crossbow which you use for an opening volley before switching to melee weapons doing so still probably allow you to kill a couple of enemies before they can close with you.

Hello,

after browsing the wiki a bit (and seeing that there's firearms), I am considering something I don't usually do: to play a character focused on ranged combat.

My first question is: how viable is that? In my experience, ranged combat is somewhat weaker in most games, probably to compensate for its obvious advantages. How much is this the case here? Am I hurting myself by focusing a key member of my party on ranged combat?

And then there's the question which class I should build. My issue here is that I'm really not fond of the archetypes that are usually associated with ranged combat. I have no interest in playing a ranger, and limited enthusiasm for a rouge, though my mind might be changed on the latter.

The classes that appeal to me at the moment are the paladin, and the monk (whose abilities seem to be about the worst match for ranged combat). Would a ranged paladin be a sensible build?

Or is it usually the case in combat that you'd want as many melee fighters as possible? And ranged weapons are therefore mostly for support classes? In that case I guess I wouldn't mind building a wizard, priest, or cipher.

I don't think that ranged weapons are weak in PoE, quite the opposite if we're talking about the heavier firearms/crossbows. Furthermore, there is as of yet no penalty for using ranged weapons when engaged in melee (which could have been a drawback)

The monk's abilities are apparently melee only, and perhaps more importantly the monk is about taking damage, which is not what you will be doing in the back.

A ranged paladin is... doable, due to decent accuracy. I don't know if flames of devotion can be used with firearms? However, the paladin's auras might be of limited use in the back, and there are certainly classes that are way better (maybe a ranged fighter would do if you're allergic to rogues?)

I dont know if I would consider the cipher to be a support class rather than a damage dealer. That said, ciphers will definitely benefit from using ranged weapons because they are squishy but have decent accuracy and gain some damage bonus from their soul whip. If you're interested in the cipher it might be what you're looking for.

I don't think that ranged weapons are weak in PoE, quite the opposite if we're talking about the heavier firearms/crossbows. Furthermore, there is as of yet no penalty for using ranged weapons when engaged in melee (which could have been a drawback)

The monk's abilities are apparently melee only, and perhaps more importantly the monk is about taking damage, which is not what you will be doing in the back.

A ranged paladin is... doable, due to decent accuracy. I don't know if flames of devotion can be used with firearms? However, the paladin's auras might be of limited use in the back, and there are certainly classes that are way better (maybe a ranged fighter would do if you're allergic to rogues?)

I dont know if I would consider the cipher to be a support class rather than a damage dealer. That said, ciphers will definitely benefit from using ranged weapons because they are squishy but have decent accuracy and gain some damage bonus from their soul whip. If you're interested in the cipher it might be what you're looking for.

Ranged weapons can be used with Flames of Devotion.

And an Arquebus with +100-150(talent to boost Flames)% of its damage can hit like a freaking truck. Not that an Arquebus on its own doesn't hit like truck though.

I use my Paladin as a standard melee combatant that just opens with the Arquebus. The problem with Paladins as a more sustained damage ranged class is they have their class modal auras that are a complete waste if you use the Penetrating Shot modal for dealing decent damage with faster ranged weapons.

You also only get 1 Flames of Devotion per encounter, while other classes have things that add damage more constantly like Biting Whip for Cipher or Sneak Attacks for Rogue. 

Paladins just aren't built for it IMO. Neither are monks.

Best ranged classes are Rogue and Cipher, at least judging from the backer beta.